Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Mr and Mrs Sandman go to Port Antonio

User Info Menu

Re: Mr and Mrs Sandman go to Port Antonio

Name:  Jamaica 2013 072.jpg
Views: 506
Size:  94.4 KBName:  Jamaica 2013 075.jpg
Views: 434
Size:  92.4 KBjName:  Jamaica 2013 081.jpg
Views: 477
Size:  92.8 KB
    [url=https://www.TickerFactory.com/]

User Info Menu

Enjoying your report and pictures very much. Thanks for taking the time to share!
    PS. My wife Laura is Saskatchewan born and raised.
    She says make the best of those rainy days because you know what it would be back home...

User Info Menu

Enjoying your trip report and photos!

User Info Menu

This is next to the old train station, I believe the railway was damaged during a hurricane in the 80's and never rebuilt. The platform that spins 360deg is called a roundhouse (at least that is what it would be where I live)...
    Name:  Jamaica 2013 108.jpg
Views: 466
Size:  95.7 KBName:  Jamaica 2013 109.jpg
Views: 446
Size:  96.8 KBName:  Jamaica 2013 110.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  97.5 KBName:  Jamaica 2013 111.jpg
Views: 473
Size:  94.4 KB

Sponsor

User Info Menu

Awesome pics!

User Info Menu

Nice report sandman. I have reggae playing in the background and I read your wonderful narratives. You and Mrs. Sandman look so happy and content. Portland will do that to you. Glad to hear you two are enjoying yourselves and, obviously, each other. I like how you are keeping busy regardless of the weather. The rain may slow things a little, but won’t ever pin me down. I would like to see pictures of the roof top at Tim Bamboo. It was under construction last time I was there.

I go to that market for my vegetable & fruit supply, then wander inside to mainly browse. Amazing all that is sold in there. Said I will splurge on a couple pair of shoes next time I’m in PA. Nice variety of sandals and heels.

Sounds like ALL the beaches are treating you and the Mrs. very well. Hope you make it to Long Bay beach and check out the bar down there. Forgot to mention the cook shop “on” Boston Beach has good food and ice cold red stripes. Very reasonable and the folks who run it are truly kind.

The local bar you found sounds cozy…just what you were looking for? Nothing like a place you can walk into, order and drink and feel at home. Tell me where this place is please. When leaving Tim Bamboo, do you head to the main road or the opposite direction, around the bend?

User Info Menu

aww the photos of the road and sights.....simply lovely....please keep it coming, i'm hanging on to your every word.

User Info Menu

12/29/2013, 7:45 pm

Day 8 started like most, get up and listen to it raining outside. I won't lie, the amount of rain is starting to put a damper (pun) on our plans. Its not my favorite thing to be constantly searching for shelter. Anyways....After breakfast we drove up to Ivanhoe's guest house where we were able to reach Albert, one of the rio grande raft guides that a couple people here recommended to me. We agreed on a time the following morning, then after a stop for take out coffee at Dekals and another for snacks and refreshments we were heading down along the coast again. Although I was kind of planning on driving to Long Beach to have a look, we came upon the turn off to Winifred beach, and by the way, there is a sign but it is easy to miss. I pulled off the highway, and since it hadn't rained for at least 15 minutes we decided to follow the road and check out the beach. As long as you drive very slow the road isn't too bad, might be sketchy getting out up the hill if it happened to pour just before you wanted to leave, I thought as we crawled down the last steep section. When we pulled in you could see there were a few people around, but not a bit crowded. First vendor to talk to us was renting lounge chairs. He wanted 500J each, and I am sure I could have gotten them for less I got us each one. I figured since there was no entrance fee, plus his car was pretty beat, I would just give him the 1000.
    We set up, wasn't really a sunny spot since clouds filled the sky. It was still very warm though and it wasn't long before I donned my snorkel gear and headed into the sea. It was invitingly warm, and the reef not too far offshore keeps the waves pretty small. I headed out, and you could see as the water got deeper there were quite a few sea urchins, but nothing near shore to worry about. The reef isn't much but I saw a wide variety of fish, none too scary. Biggest one was perhaps some kind of trumpet fish. It was around 18 inches long and the diameter of a Canadian loonie. There was a very cool flat fish (like a halibut, but only about 12 inches long). He was cruising along slowly about a foot off the bottom but as I got close he settled on top of a rock a bit larger than he was. His colors matched the sea bottom perfect. The only thing that gave him away were his googley eyes sticking out.
    After drying off my wife decided to go out too. We had earlier figured we wouldn't abandon our stuff to go that far offshore together, too much stuff we didn't want to lose. So she swam off and I took a short stroll down the beach just to check out the scene. Looks like a really good place to hang out and spend the day. Had one guy approach me, and it wasn't long before I figured out we met have at Boston beach a few days earlier. He explained he was carrying some pretty heavy stuff so I agreed to let him roll me a big chonger. Shortly after that wife is back and just as we think about lying down again the sky open us, and I mean hard. We huddle under a big tree but that only helped for a couple minutes. We hadn't planned on eating yet but the small cookshop right close had a couple dry spots just calling us. So we ordered some food and ate, hoping it would let up. Finally it did and we went back to our loungers and water logged towels. That was the second last downpour. On the next one we had a better plan, just go into the sea and enjoy, which it seemed everyone else on the beach did. Took some good pics of that, will post later.
    We never got hassled by vendors at all, its a great place and might go back, see how it goes. When we left we were in a group of vehicles and there were a couple times I thought I would have to back up for another try but our little rental car pulled its way through. Back to the hotel for a shower, couple beers at our bar, then cheap good supper at TJ's.
    We got told of a big party up the street thenext night (tonight), but can't hear anything yet.
    PS, I forgot to mention, Natural Mystic One, nice name lol, the guy that had the heavy stuff, did have heavy stuff. Best I have sampled in PA.

User Info Menu

Winnifred beach....

User Info Menu

Name:  Jamaica 2013 155.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  94.0 KB