Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Mr and Mrs Sandman go to Port Antonio

User Info Menu

Re: Mr and Mrs Sandman go to Port Antonio

LOVELY photos of Reich....so enjoying your recap and photos! TJ's is on my list for sure!

Sponsor

User Info Menu

Enjoyed the read a and pic's....thanks.

It's been so long since we we're on that part of the island. One day we will venture back over.
    Cheers

Sponsor

User Info Menu

Love your pics! Water looks refreshing.

Sponsor

User Info Menu

I sure would Love to know how buddy made those jerk chicken sausages. Please....
    We don't eat a lot of sausages because they use pork as a filler and we don't eat pork anymore.
    Cheers

User Info Menu

Didn't know Boston offered chicken sausage...will definitely seek it out next time.

User Info Menu

Just 1 guy has it. Mike (Mikey), when you go into the jerk centre he has the first barrel on the right. Just ask for the chicken sausage and all the vendors there will point you in the right direction.

I will have to ask my wife how he did it, her memory is a lot better than mine.

SammyB - I just replied to your PM.
    [url=https://www.TickerFactory.com/]

User Info Menu

Going to add a few final thoughts and observations, although I reserve the right to add on after.....
    After reading about the unfortunate jet ski accident it got me thinking. I saw only 2 jet skis the entire time we were in Portland. They were privately owned by a family that had a very sweet beachfront property in the cove where San San beach is located. I only saw one in operation but you could see them sitting by a dock when were in the area. I never saw anyone trying to rent them out at anytime, anywhere.
    One of the most peculiar things I noticed was the countless number of guys either carrying (walking or on bicycles) Stihl gas powered grasswhips. I don't know if this a country wide thing or some kind of make work project for the area. Maybe this is common around the entire island now, but I don't recall seeing many in my past trips.

Something else I don't think I mentioned regarding frenchmans cove. We spent 5 days there and every day at one point a police boat would approach within maybe 100 meters from the shore, and have a good look at the goings on. I don't know if they are just doing regular patrol or what, but I never saw them anywhere else.

Now the BIG question - would I go back??
    The easy answer is yes, I "would" go back. But saying that it's hard to say if we will go back. Before this trip, we missed 2 winters of travelling to Jamaica. We travelled to Holguin, Cuba; Puerto Vallarta together and when my wife helped chaperone a school trip to Costa Rica I did a week solo trip fishing in Puerto Rico. I think it's safe to say we still love Jamaica, but just as much enjoy seeing other parts of the Caribbean, and the world for that matter. Because my wife is a teacher we are very limited as to extended winter vacations, and we both agree Jamaica is a 2 week minimum trip. Just for us to do our recent Portland adventure, she had to use 1 of 2 personal days for the year. Its easier for me, the company I work for shuts down over the Christmas holidays so I never had to take any extra time at all.
    There are a couple factors that explain not going next winter. The big one, and easily the best one, is we are planning a 3 week trip to Europe this summer. She is off school so no problem for her, I still have to get the blessing from my employer. Rosie's family have close family friends in Denmark, so we will be flying to Copenhagen and stay with them for several days before starting a tour, first stop Amsterdam (naturally lol). From there we go through Germany, stopping in Fussen where we will run in the marathon/half marathon. Then into Austria, and over to the Czech republic before returning to Denmark. The whole tour will be done via the train, I am very pumped to ride some of the 320km/hr high speed trains. I have never been to Europe, Rosie has been once, shortly after she finished university. One of the couples we befriended in Port Antonio are Austrian, although the now live in the USA. But they still have a place in Austria and will be there this summer. They have invited us to visit, so hopefully that works out.
    So because of this summer trip we will limit ourselves to a shorter one next winter, most likely we will go back to Puerto Vallarta. My wife and I both enjoyed our first trip there. We stayed in the "gay" area, which I would say is the best area to go unless you want to travel the coast. We will go over the Feb school break, as the Christmas coming up will be spent at the in-laws farm. We are getting close to being banished from the family after ditching out on so many Christmases. With over 5000 acres of farmland I need to stay close to father in law LOL.
    So that takes care of next winter. The following winter we plan to go to Costa Rica together. Rosie really liked it there and I want to go see it too. That will be another 2 week or so vacation, which will once again cover all her available time off over the winter.
    I guess the earliest we will return to Jamaica will be 3 winter from this one. One factor holding us back is the cost. Our recent trip, we were gone 16 days. Not including spending money, it cost around $6000. I laugh when I see people on the other site discussing flight costs. They have no idea what expensive flights are. We have a good supply of air miles, but good luck using them over Christmas. We will be using them for our Europe trip, hopefully. Anyways, if things go according to plan (3 years is a pretty long term plan), we will return to Jamaica, and probably go back to Negril. We both missed not being able to visit several "friends" we have there.
    I will still be frequenting the boards though, regardless of when we return. And I have to say, I will follow with interest the seemingly increase in crimes against visitors, which will have an impact on our final decision. Putting myself in harms way is one thing, but I cannot fathom anything happening to my wife (again). Things could have turned out much worse last time, and that's not why we travel.

Still have a selection of pictures to post, thanks for reading.

User Info Menu

Wanted to add, now that I have been there, I plan on re-reading Vi's report. Will be interesting now being more familiar with the area.

User Info Menu

Awesome trip report and photos! Enjoyed very much -- Thank you!

User Info Menu

Wow that was a spectacular trip report, so candid. My fella and I plan on going to Port Antonio on our next vacation. We have been travelling to Negril for a number of year and we keep reading about Port Antonio. The history alone is great and then add on all the other great places and things to do WE ARE SO IN!! Looking forward to checking out Reach Falls, the photos are very nice. We also want to check out Mikey's jerk sausages.

As I was reading this post tonight, my fella was just preparing one of his newest creations, Jerk Salmon Sausage (without casings) and then I read your post. There has to be something to it!! Anyways Mr & Mrs. Sandman thanks so much for all the great details and photos of your holiday.

We were in Negril the same time you were in Port Antonio and we had a lot more rain than usual.

Peace,
    Islander ~ Brynn
    Looking forward to our next visit to beautiful Jamaica! See you soon!!