Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Barney's Hummingbird Garden

User Info Menu

Barney's Hummingbird Garden

A friend posted this site on her facebook page. It is on Hylton Ave. in Negril. Have you heard of it? We have been to the Humingbird Sanctuary outside of Montego Bay which we loved. Is this similar?

User Info Menu

Re: Barney's Hummingbird Garden

Wondering the same thing Mo - is there anyone there who can check it out?

User Info Menu

check them on Facebook --- looks like a nice place!

User Info Menu

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

User Info Menu

Has anyone been here? Looks nice, good reviews but looking for insight here. Thanks!

User Info Menu

Back in April we went to Jus Natural on the pub crawl. I had heard about Barneys and knew it was close to there so I asked Lenbert and he walked me down. It is just down from Jus Natural. We got Barney to come and open the gate and I was able to go just inside the gate. I didn't have time to do the tour but I asked him several questions and he said u they will feed from your hand but u have to be patient. He said the best time to come is in the evening. I think from 4:00 to 6:00 or something like that. I think he said the cost around $15.00. I didn't have time to go in that day but meant to get back. Maybe next time. It did look pretty inside.

2Nutz-- I was hoping to see u and Mr. Nutz this year but looks like I will miss u again. If I get to go I am going end of November I think I saw where u were going in December. Too bad. Maybe next April. Hope u both are doing well!!

Janet

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by leigh View Post
    Back in April we went to Jus Natural on the pub crawl. I had heard about Barneys and knew it was close to there so I asked Lenbert and he walked me down. It is just down from Jus Natural. We got Barney to come and open the gate and I was able to go just inside the gate. I didn't have time to do the tour but I asked him several questions and he said u they will feed from your hand but u have to be patient. He said the best time to come is in the evening. I think from 4:00 to 6:00 or something like that. I think he said the cost around $15.00. I didn't have time to go in that day but meant to get back. Maybe next time. It did look pretty inside.

2Nutz-- I was hoping to see u and Mr. Nutz this year but looks like I will miss u again. If I get to go I am going end of November I think I saw where u were going in December. Too bad. Maybe next April. Hope u both are doing well!!

Janet
    Thank you Janet for the info!! It seems he has beautiful gardens regardless of getting the hummingbirds to come to you directly...and some of the reviews people were impatient not realizing it takes time.... I also read early morning as well... Looks like something we would like, tranquil and it's close, been the whole tourist route and wanted to find and do something within the Negril area. Thanks again!

User Info Menu

My wife and I were there in mid March.Barney was just starting to let people visit. It's a very natural garden setting. There were many birds other than hummingbirds, but they were there, also. The birds were not as tame as Rocklands near Mobay, but we had a wonderfull time, and Barney's a very interesting man . They may not feed directly from a hand held feeder for you, but from Barney's internet photos, it does happen for some tourists.We spent about one and a half hours there. Barney is a great host, and even brought us some refreshments. It was a work in progress back then, but I'd recommend it to anyone who enjoys nature and birds. Sometimes I think a lot of people are used to "pre-made" attractions, and cannot be patient enough to let nature come to them. It's not Disney World, and some people don't get that. For example, the day we visited Rocklands, years ago, some guy shows up with a zillion dollar camera, is louder than h--l, moves around like a bear on the prowl,and complains that there's no birds around.

I would call ahead to let him know you're visiting. I have also heard early morning and late afternoon are good times to visit. As with many things in Jamaica, get a price quote before you visit.
    Last edited by ZSCHULZ; 09-01-2014 at 09:18 PM.

User Info Menu

We will be heading to Barney's in October. Report...soon come!

User Info Menu

It's not Disney World, and some people don't get that. For example, the day we visited Rocklands, years ago, some guy shows up with a zillion dollar camera, is louder than h--l, moves around like a bear on the prowl,and complains that there's no birds around.

Love this ZSCHULTZ, bull in a china shop Some just don't get it.

We will be heading to Barney's in October. Report...soon come!

Thank you Weathermon & Mi Lady, will be looking forward to the report.

Thx everyone for your input!!