Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The reef/Poachers

User Info Menu

Angry The reef/Poachers

My wife an I have been vacationing in Negril for 18 yrs and really love it. We love the beach, Sun, the people of this beautiful island. We love to snorkel everywhere we travel and have been very disappointed the past couple of years as well as our trusty glass bottom boat friend whom we have known for over a decade. On a couple of trips to the reef we have actually chased poachers from the reef. Our boat guy is very upset,as are we, with the result.

On a daily basis the poachers are cruising around with their kayaks and spear guns and killing everything they could. Including turtles, lobster no matter the size and any fish in their path. They sell the fish to the hotels on the beach, the lobster to tourists, no matter the size. I happen to be talking with a long time native friend of mine when the poacher who has the white kayak, came in with a bucket of lobster. He asked if I wanted to buy them, and I LOVE my lobster. I said after taking one look at them. "you would be arrested if you were in the US". He replied "I would be arrested if I were caught here.

Interesting comment. No let's talk about the Marine patrol that seems to cruise by, maybe a hand full of times over the 9 days that we were there this February. Not one time did they ever stop to check out anyone, for anything. I have never seen them anywhere near the reef. They just cruise down the beach at a slow pace and then back. I guess to show their presence to the tourist. These poachers are actually afraid of being arrested. He told me that. All the marine patrol has to do is patrol the reef area and it's surrounding, Early in the morning, a couple times a week. Show a presence. It works.

I never did buy any lobster. I would never support a poacher.

User Info Menu

Re: The reef/Poachers

Also one thing I saw a few weeks ago was a couple of tourists who had snorkeled come into shore with a live conch. They wanted the shell(which you can buy from any number of beach guys). A Jamaican fellow "helped" them by continuously slamming the shell into the hard sand eventually killing the resident and thus they had their shell. No one to my knowledge kept the conch to eat. It was too late by the time we approached them to try to stop it. What a waste.
    Soon come!

User Info Menu

that is why their reefs are not that good anymore and its a real shame. Iv been snorkling in protected reefs before and the difference is amasing. I never go out to Negrils reefs anymore, whats left of em that is

User Info Menu

I was hoping to open someones eyes that could maybe start to make a difference. It's really a shame and with a little effort and attention by the marine patrol it can begin to change for the better. There are a handful of guys out there doing it every day. There are many glass bottom boat workers that are really feeling the effects. We used to go out three or four times in a trip. We've been only going out once lately during our trip. It's disappointing. It's a treasure in Negril that is being destroyed.

User Info Menu

The reef suffer from overfishing and pollution. this process can be reversed once people realize that protecting the fish can actually bring more income into the comunity. this is been done in other parts of the Caribbean successfully

User Info Menu

I'm hoping too that they will realise the potentail benifits protecting and improving the reefs will do for the whole area. Now that the jet skis are gone, this is the perfect opertunity to start restoring the reefs. We used to enjoy the reefs there but over the years saw them going down hill and being that we have snorkled in some very nice protected reefs and the virgin islands and Belize we find it difficult to see whats been happening to negrils reefs. That being said, we do not want to discourage anybody from going out to the reefs, What we do need is more ppl that want to protect and inhance them to visit them and to give your inputs on things that will help the reefs . There are some very good glass bottom boat guides who feel the same about protecting the reefs and I garrentee you they worry about the reefs too , not just because they make a living off of taking ppl out to them, Yes it is their living but they are out there every day and have seen the slow decline.

User Info Menu

We have been disappointed but I am attempting to raise awareness because of what our friend and glass bottom boat capt has told us. It is how he makes his living as well as many others up and down the beach. From our perspective, the police, both on the beach and in the boats just don't seem to pay any attention to the activity. I have witnessed both country country and idleawhile purchase conch and very small fish from the poacher in the white kayak

User Info Menu

Put a bounty on lionfish. although beautiful they are invasive and not from the Caribbean. they will eat most of the other fish if given a chance. they also tastes pretty good. this would be an incentive for the poachers to hunt them out. hopefully giving the rest of the fish a break. beware spines are very poisonous.

User Info Menu

They kill them all the time. They take every conch in their path, every fish including lion fish, every lobster no matter the size and even turtles when they come across them. Out of ten lobster it would be lucky if one (1) of them were large enough to take. If you snorkel out from the beach to where the grass begins, there are piles of dumped conch shells. They are everywhere. It's all they know and when no one bothers them it's just a regular day at the office.
    It's up to the officials of negril to notice there is a problem and to take action. The police stroll up and down the beach, usually looking for some shade, without earning a nickel of what they are being paid for. The marine patrol is no better. These poachers are out there every single day and their boats are filled.

User Info Menu

In Ambergris Caye they have a Lion fishing contest..and I was surprised at how many Lion fish they can catch..After the contest they clean em up and have a fish fry...Seems like one good way to get rid of those fish! And a couple of years ago it appeared they were going to be shipping the lionfish to somewhere in the states...I think Minnesota... to a restaurant that wanted them..Not sure if it all went thru but that would also help..