Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Your Help Is Needed

User Info Menu

Your Help Is Needed

To all peeps going to Negril in March -April.

Many ask about a little something they can do to help out the kids of the Negril area.
    If you can, please bring the following items for St. Anthonys Soup Kitchen and the school program they run.

Kids Black Socks
    Black Liquid Shoe Polish
    Back Packs
    Any School Supplies , pens, colour pencils , note books etc.
    Tooth Brushes
    Hair Baretts , beads or what ever.

You can drop off anything you bring to St. Anthonys Church ( Across fro The Coco La Palm) or the Soup Kitchen ( By the bus Park yard).
    I'm sure Debbie from Moon Light Villas on the Westend Road would also be glad to take anything you have and will get them to the right place.
    I will be at the Sea Star Inn on all Staurdays nights from March 31 -till May14 and would be happy to take anything you can give also.
    Also you can Bring anything you have to the Boardie Bash and I'll get them off you too.

If you can think of anything else to add to this list , please feel free to add your input.

Respect always , Rasta Stan

User Info Menu

Re: Your Help Is Needed

Quote Originally Posted by Rasta Stan View Post
    To all peeps going to Negril in March -April.

Many ask about a little something they can do to help out the kids of the Negril area.
    If you can, please bring the following items for St. Anthonys Soup Kitchen and the school program they run.

Kids Black Socks
    Black Liquid Shoe Polish
    Back Packs
    Any School Supplies , pens, colour pencils , note books etc.
    Tooth Brushes
    Hair Baretts , beads or what ever.

You can drop off anything you bring to St. Anthonys Church ( Across fro The Coco La Palm) or the Soup Kitchen ( By the bus Park yard).
    I'm sure Debbie from Moon Light Villas on the Westend Road would also be glad to take anything you have and will get them to the right place.
    I will be at the Sea Star Inn on all Staurdays nights from March 31 -till May14 and would be happy to take anything you can give also.
    Also you can Bring anything you have to the Boardie Bash and I'll get them off you too.

If you can think of anything else to add to this list , please feel free to add your input.

Respect always , Rasta Stan
    Hi Stan and Betty,

Just wanted to add to let people know that money donations can also help. Most of the items you listed are available in Jamaica and donating money to purchase them there not only helps out the kids but the Jamaican Economy too.

Keep up the great work. I know from personal experience that there is no greater reward in life than helping the next generation achieve.

Nuff Respect!
    Free Opinions Offered. No tipping required. Hours: Open when I feel like it.

Sponsor

User Info Menu

I will be in Negril in April. I will purchase some of the listed items in Sav.

User Info Menu

You can buy all/most of those things in Negril, and support local businesses as well as the kids. There is a stationery/supplies shop next to ValueMaster and places all over with hair beads etc. and shoe polish at the grocery store or sometimes from a vendor on the street. Only thing that might not be easy to get to and purchase during your vacation time is black socks and backpacks.

If you give the organization a money donation, they can purchase in bulk, and stretch it even further. I don't know if they get a waiver on GCT but if they do, the purchasing power of your donation increases 16.5%.

User Info Menu

Speaking of cash donations, I think this is a good place to post this again:

For the Americans

Contributions can be sent to Mary Gate of Heaven Church or to the Franciscan Friars in Cincinnati - 100% of your contribution go to the Jamaican mission. NOTE: US citizens get a tax deduction.

Mail a check or credit card information to Franciscan Friars, Friar Works / Ministry & Mission, 1615 Vine Street, Cincinnati, Ohio 45202-6492 - indicate your intention for the gift.

Credit Card - Online: www.franciscan.org - select the Donate Tab and in the comment box indicate your intention.

Credit Card - Phone: 1-513-721-4700, ext. 3218.

For the Canadians

Make a check payable to Franciscan Friars, note the purpose of the gift, and send it to:

Franciscan Missionary Union
    St. Michael's Retreat Centre
    P.O. Box 220
    Lumsden, Saskatchewan
    S0G 3C0

Phone: 306-731-3316
    Fax: 306-731-3807

The contact person is Fr. Michael Conaghan, ofm.

User Info Menu

I am a dental hygienist and am coming March 20-27, I will try to gather some toothbrushes!

User Info Menu

We bring stuff every trip....some things we take to a school or to father jim, and some things Janet likes to pass out to unexpecting locals....

Janet has a few sisters and they all get discounted things throughout the year, we stock up on valentine candy after it goes on clearance, and now i have 63 pounds of stuff to take...lol...not including the bag weight....basically one checked bag and half a carry on full of goodies....

we all know cash is king, but there is 0 chance of getting this amount of stuff in negril for the $$$ she spent on it...everything clearance, managers specials, donatied items, etc...25 cent for 4.00 bags of candy...

Stan, I will be there during easter....do u know if anything going on, egg, candy hunt, activites etc for the kids? Janet thinks father jim might have an event...
    2009 trip http://www.negril.com/cgi-bin/discus.cgi?pg=prev&topic=196641&page=272185

2010 halloween---no TR

trip 2012
    http://negril.com/forum/showthread.php/5589-Trip-report-sept-1-14-including-pelicanbar-catcha-legends-samsara-pubcrawl-etc

trip 2013
    http://negril.com/forum/showthread.php/8323-gettin-my-groove-on-quot-TRIP-report-quot-boardie-bash-style-april21-may11-2013

.trip 2014
    http://negril.com/forum/showthread.php/11962-Trip-report-Boardie-Bash-2014-best-trip-yet

User Info Menu

I've been picking stuff up for the schools and kids for a while now, have quite a bit. I just don't know when I will be able to get back to Negril.
    Missing Jamaica

User Info Menu

I would love to know as well if there is an Easter Event or activities for the children. Would love to help out and take our 8 month old as well. We will be bringing items down. Jump ropes seemed to be very popular last time. We find it to be quite fun to hand out to local kids when we see them.

User Info Menu

If every Boardie, (including lurkers ) donated a few items each, it would truly make a difference to these children.

Let's all chip in and do this

~ May you always have a shell in your pocket and sand between your toes ~