Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Travellers checks

User Info Menu

Re: Travellers checks

Cash is king...no fees and no worries about empty broken ATM'S. Traveler cheques are things of the past. My bank doesn't even sell them anymore, why pay for something that you'll have nothing but trouble trying to cash. Not worth it. Cash always..all the way!

User Info Menu

Check with credit unions for obtaining TC.

The FX in front of Bourbon Beach cashed mine in February - no problems. Some times there have been exceptions, a few years ago on a Friday afternoon they wouldn't cash any because they were low on cash on hand and wouldn't make it to the bank before Monday.

User Info Menu

Unless something has changed, the cambio in front of Bourbon Beach is not an FX Trader. It is an independent. FX Trader is an island wide chain owned by Grace-Kennedy food company.
    Sing unto God, sing praises to his name: extol him that rideth upon the heavens by his name JAH, and rejoice before him. KJV Psalm 68:4

User Info Menu

Never had a problem with Travelers checks at the cambio next to Bourbon Beach. Just take my drivers license one time, then no need any time after for as long as I am there.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein

User Info Menu

I have always used Travelers checks in the past but haven't been to Negril in 5 years so when I went to get them at AAA or Wells Fargo they both said they don't have them anymore...So, I just brought cash since my hotel has a safe. I also brought 100 dollars in one's and could have used more, they were really handy. Was a little concerned about carrying a lot of cash on the trip from the airport to the hotel so I split the money between my wife and I and carried it in a couple places. Not sure how often taxis are robbed on the highway to Negril but I'd be willing to bet its happened before. On returning to MoBay this last Monday, the road was blocked and detoured at Hopewell with heavily armed police at the road block, had me wondering. Also carried one credit card and one debit card as backup and when I went to use the credit card at the hotel to pay my bar tab the card was blocked even though I had called customer service ahead of time and told them I might be using the card in Jamaica. Guess one card is not enuff?? Balancing the amount of Jamaican dollars and US dollars was a bit of a problem as well as it seemed I was getting screwed on the exchange if I didnt have the right currency for the particular purchase...Don't recall it being that way in the past, but whatever!

User Info Menu

Some AAA's don't have the traveler's checks anymore, but you can go directly to the American Express website and see where in your area you can find them. Many credit unions have them and our local CitiBank and Chase Card Services carry them as well. I will continue using traveler's checks, especially with reading about the recent robberies and people having their cash stolen.
    Last edited by Maryann; 03-27-2014 at 06:28 AM.

User Info Menu

I used to use them up until about five or six trips ago, now I just use the atm,s the fee is $3.50, so I just take out $20,000 at a time,lol, about $200 bucks. I did all the calculations if you are from Canada its the best way, better than changing to US first them Ja, even with the service charge, you come out ahead.
    Trip #59 most of February

User Info Menu

There is no fee to get traveler's checks from AAA, but my credit union charges 1%, so then it's $10 for $1000 worth of TCs. Using the debit card, with a charge of $3 every time I take out $200 (which is also my limit for the day), it will cost $15 in fees to take out $1000, so only a $5 difference.

User Info Menu

I Only use AMX TC and never had a problem while there in November 2013.

User Info Menu

Agree just take cash. And a PAC safe
    "I'll love you till the stars fall out of the sky "

:cool