Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Patois

User Info Menu

Re: Patois

check video of sexy rexy on you tube teaching patois. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frkMBYYBvcE

User Info Menu

wateva yu do , don't say ,"mon" hehe

User Info Menu

Go to youtube, and you will find several that teach a little. But it is entertaining.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezA1M...908za9tO_4DwpQ
    Last edited by x l ent; 03-31-2014 at 05:14 PM.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein

User Info Menu

Let me clarify. I'd rather understand it than speak it. Total immersion is the preferred method to learn any language. However, until we retire in a few years, the total immersion will have to wait.
    July 1993*, Feb 2003, Aug 2005, April 2007, Feb 2008, Feb 2009, April 2010, Nov 2010, Nov 2011, Nov 2012, March 2013*, Nov 2013, Nov 2014, March 2015*, Nov 2015*, April 2016*, Oct 2016, Nov 2017*, May 2018*, Nov 2018*, Oct/Nov 2019*, Dec 2020*, Dec 2021*, May 2022* (Portland), Dec 2022* (Irish Town/Strawberry Hill), Dec 2023*, Dec 2024*

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gregandkelly63 View Post
    Let me clarify. I'd rather understand it than speak it. Total immersion is the preferred method to learn any language. However, until we retire in a few years, the total immersion will have to wait.
    Do you have any Jamaican friends in the North?
    Linston's Zion Hill Taxi

Captain Dave

User Info Menu

I understand about 90% of the patois (whicch I learned back in the 80's by total immersion in about six months with all of my JA friends talking to me only in patois so I could learn it. The only time I speak it is when talking to very old Jamaicans in their 80's and 90's who might not understand my english (or when I get really angry LOL). I used to talk patois to young children, but I was asked by their parents to speak proper english to them so the kids could learn and practice english.

I do find that when I have been away from JA for several years, it does take a while to start understanding it correctly again. Quite a few of jamaican sayings cannot be taken literally - reminds me of parables.

User Info Menu

There is a simplicity in the language. Also, it is very visual. "One love" is a more beautiful way of talking about community unity.

User Info Menu

Listening to Captaind speak patois is truly magical. Every syllable and inflection of the language is displayed. There is a rhythm to the language that I simply adore!!! I can't wait to get back to have my fix of patois!!
    [url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

User Info Menu

I have told Dancin Ronnie that hangs at Debar he should give patois lessons!
    Trip #59 most of February

User Info Menu

Great idea!