Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Patois

User Info Menu

Re: Patois

Quote Originally Posted by captaind View Post
    Do you have any Jamaican friends in the North?
    We live in rural Tennessee. Most of these people couldn't find Jamaica on a map!
    July 1993*, Feb 2003, Aug 2005, April 2007, Feb 2008, Feb 2009, April 2010, Nov 2010, Nov 2011, Nov 2012, March 2013*, Nov 2013, Nov 2014, March 2015*, Nov 2015*, April 2016*, Oct 2016, Nov 2017*, May 2018*, Nov 2018*, Oct/Nov 2019*, Dec 2020*, Dec 2021*, May 2022* (Portland), Dec 2022* (Irish Town/Strawberry Hill), Dec 2023*, Dec 2024*

User Info Menu

Another great way to learn is to go on youtube and do a search for "jamaican movies 2014 latest full movies" not only will you learn a lot of patois, you will learn a lot of the way things a gwan

~ May you always have a shell in your pocket and sand between your toes ~

User Info Menu

Rosetta Stone jamaican is the way.....
    http://youtu.be/uhEEPRTUb30

User Info Menu

After hearing some DJ cd's a million times, some of the words started to come through. When I heard this I had to ask:

"sniper bottle" ???

What is a sniper? I say things like terrorist, threat, gunman, intimidating...

Wicked, a sniper is wicked! Oh, yeah. And wicked can mean very bad or very good.

She had a hot body!

User Info Menu

A slice of life:

"Yo So-and-so, a dat breadfruit." This is a rare but not unusual conversation in my yard.

Breadfruit? I ask, from where? Multiple scenarios come to mind, a nearby tree that we'd recently discussed, a bounty of being in the right place at the right time, a relative brought them by or a request was made to go buy some for us. But we never cook with breadfruit so I couldn't put anything together that made sense, in the few seconds this transpires.

A small black lada bag arrives, with a blocky, non-breadfruit shape to it ~ let alone breadfruit isn't usually handed over in a bag unless it had been sent for at the market.

He pulls out a dasheen and a slice of yellow yam!

Hahaha

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Integrity View Post
    There is a simplicity in the language. Also, it is very visual. "One love" is a more beautiful way of talking about community unity.

User Info Menu

You've probably heard of the Rosetta Stone way of learning a language.
    They now have a Rosetta Stone for learning patois. Its really quite good.
    Check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhEEPRTUb30
    My Books:

Walk Good - Sunset Negril - Night Nurse
    Available @ www.amazon.com - search 'Roland Reimer'

User Info Menu

that was funny Kahuna
    [/url]

Sometimes it's better to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission.

User Info Menu

I knew it was only a matter of time until Rob Ford made this post!
    Note: this is NOT typical of Canadians or Torontonians!
    Last edited by thepegboy; 04-01-2014 at 11:14 AM.

User Info Menu

After being a Dj on my first trip I incorporated Dance-hall music into my sets and slowly words became clear. From there it was phrases then sentences, and now after years of immersion I can say I understand and can sing much more than I can speak but I can speak enough to get by.....