Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Patois

Administrator

User Info Menu

Re: Patois

JFrank,

There is really no one "official" patios - there are different dialects and different terms used all over the island. Words can have different meanings even in the same parish.

I asked several of my friends here and none of them knew for sure what it meant, but a "best guess" since the male is "unable or unwilling to tell her what she lied about", it would make sense that he doesnt want to "light up" the situation anymore than it already is, he doesnt want to get into a fight with her. Patois is rather logical...

It might also depend on where on the island this convo was heard - the term "light up" may have a specific meaning there.

Probably would have been smarter for him not to call her a liar in the first place... (grin)
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Rob's answer sound about right. "Light a fire" can mean a blow up between people.

For what it's worth I've seen numerous times when Jamaicans don't understand each other's patios

Cap

linston@redplate-negril.com

User Info Menu

I think he's saying that she lied and told someone that he isn't able to up and leave her.
    edit: just clarifying, think he's saying that he can afford to leave her. Could be wrong.
    Last edited by TAH; 05-15-2015 at 06:09 PM.

User Info Menu

Rob,

As I have been hounding you for years, time to bring back:

"Back Ah Yawd" from the good old days of the Black and Green!

Just a taste:
    http://www.realnegril.com/beingees/bay0288.htm

VVHT (soon come, but not soon enough)

User Info Menu

He is calling her a liar and she is asking him what did she lie about. His reply is 'I am not going there with you' or 'I am not going to talk to you about it because you will curse me out'. 'Light you up; is really cussing out someone real loud terrible.

User Info Menu

http://www.speakjamaican.com/

Book and CD's - $27 USD
    We're all in this together and none of us is getting out alive.