Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Uni?

User Info Menu

Uni?

Has anyone ever seen sea urchin/Uni served at any restaurants?....

Was just thinking about the lion fish issue and was wondering if this might help in the same way...

User Info Menu

Re: Uni?

Not that I'm as frequent a visitor as some but I've never seen uni on a menu and I'm always looking. I inquired here a while back and didn't get any responses. I tried harvesting one myself while snorkeling and that didn't work out so good. Don’t know if it was too young or wrong type but didn't get any good stuff when I opened it.

User Info Menu

So I had to google uni, kudos to you for enjoying it.

Did read it was an acquired taste, don't think I will be in danger of acquiring.

User Info Menu

When I went to get certified to scuba dive 80% of my class were commercial divers that needed the cert to dive for urchins $$$$$ so the Japanese people could fill their hunger. That was in 1988 or 1990 and those spiny fuc-ers were worth a mint...AKA $60k-100+ K a year diving for them. No clue if people really ate them or if they were a dic type of pill.....around the same time people killed bears for some type of magical dic pill.

User Info Menu

Murph, every time I see an urchin in the water I think the same thing.

Many sushi-philes (if that's a real word) enjoy uni and most high-end sushi restaurants serve it. I think if there was one place it Negril that served it, they would be able to corner this niche market.

User Info Menu

I cleared the front of sunbeach in march like 50-60 of the buggers, 2 shopping bags worth...some I cut open for some of my beach friends to taste, I showed the how to handle them and eat the roe, and showed me and my gf eating them no prob and mentioned how its an expensive delicacy in the Mediterranean/Japan etc, but not one guy out of like 8 was even willing to try it...one even said its forbidden in the old testament!