Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wood Carvings where can I get them at good price

User Info Menu

Wood Carvings where can I get them at good price

I wanted to bring back souvenirs for my coworkers and so far the only item which interest me are the Local carvings, I came across a shack across from Tensing Pen but the pieces seem a bit pricey 30/50usd

Any souvenir wood carving shops that you know of or other gift shops ideas wound be helpful.
    "How we do this moment is probably how we will be doing the next" RR

User Info Menu

Re: Wood Carvings where can I get them at good price

Check out Donovan at Coco la Palm. Unless his schedule has changed, he's there every day except Saturday and Wednesday. We've bought several carvings from him, including a Rasta Santa. He's a great guy and his prices are reasonable. THis is a picture of his carvings/table

Name:  IMG_0136 (Copy).jpg
Views: 609
Size:  102.2 KB

User Info Menu

Coco la Palm il find it thanks. I found a nice piece of jewelry yesterday from a lady at the light house,
    Any other Gift Ideas?
    "How we do this moment is probably how we will be doing the next" RR

User Info Menu

We go to Dr. Art, maybe 100 yards north of Rooms on the Beach. He's just a few steps north of those three or four tables selling trinkets; the ones that really hound you when you walk by. No matter what time of the day it is, it's always "please, you're my first sale."
    He's in a little shed that is set back about 20 feet. He's a younger kid, maybe 22. The reason I stopped there in the first place was because I saw actually him sitting next to a pile of his tools and wood chips in the sand, working on pieces. I' like to see things being crafted becuase I feel like most stuff is made in china. Small pieces are around $10-$15 usd, medium runs $20-$40. There was one large piece, a stool about 24" high, with an eagle catching a fish carved inside of it. That he quoted at $100 but came down to $80. We didn't get it becuase of the hassle of lugging it back.

He'll do custom stuff for you too. He says to bring a picture or sketch and give him a few days. I haven't dont his yet but maybe next time.

Other than him, Mason is the guy with the huge carvings on the beach with the sign that says "take a picture and support the artist" or somethign like that. Between boat bar and Nirvana. He's got nice work and is a chill rasta dude, not a pusher or hustler. Prices were reasonable at first quote. I didn't bother haggling becuase nothign spoke to me the day I was there. I'll be going back though.

User Info Menu

I've purchased quite a few ..over the years
    Last reach I bought from Wesley ...
    in the craft market.. older gent .. no pressure & nice work
    Mason is a great artist... just a bit more $$$Name:  Ja Scans 009.jpg
Views: 579
Size:  93.0 KB

User Info Menu

Name:  mason.jpg
Views: 514
Size:  96.0 KB
    Mason's work ... AWESOME !!!!!!

User Info Menu

If you want to bring back something that people will really like, skip the wood carvings and braclets. Stop at HiLo and bring back a few boxes of Sorrel tea, a half dozen bags of jerk spice and a few bottles of Walkerwood. For $30 you can bring back enough stuff for the whole office.
    I gave up years ago trying to please everyone with the trinkets and now give stuff I know they will use. Once it is used up they will still have the memories of all they good food they made.
    Regards,
    Bob

User Info Menu

Name:  carve 2.jpg
Views: 566
Size:  88.1 KBName:  wesley carve.jpg
Views: 556
Size:  87.2 KB

User Info Menu

Real carvers don't have inexpensive carvings. If you shop around; you'll notice many sellers have the exact same goods that they might apply a colour to; or a few carving marks to 'finish' the product. Walking canes are a good example of this. Most of the shapes of the cheap ones are identical and they cost about 25 bucks, if that.
    Real carved canes are more like a hundred dollars depending on how elaborate. You can buy those silly little flat 'carved' fishes for a few dollars, but they're imported from somewhere and obviously factory cut.
    Buy spices, sauces, or overproof that you can't find in Montreal.
    If you want a guaranteed made in Negril product that won't cost a huge amount, go to Seastar Inn and purchase bottles of Francine's Jerk Sauce or Pepper Sauce. Best there is. She also makes wonderful hammocks; but they cost more.
    Last edited by Big_frank; 04-18-2014 at 02:08 PM.

User Info Menu

I also agree with the spices/sauces/flasks of rum idea!