Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: First Time Trip Report from a Long Timer, Base Camp - Treehouse

User Info Menu

Talking First Time Trip Report from a Long Timer, Base Camp - Treehouse

As many times as I have been to Negril, I have never written a trip report. What do you call one of these, when a long timer writes their virgin report? Gotta be a name for it… Anyway – I’ve been going down since 2000 and this is approximately my 23rd trip. In previous trips my traveling companion has kept a journal to keep track of all the things we did and all the people we meet but on this trip, unfortunately, she was sick in bed the first 4 days of our trip so I am going to try to re-create this from a very fuzzy memory.

I left San Diego on the AA 10:30 pm overnight flight to Miami. Smooth sailing so far. I landed in Miami and had a 3 hour layover. Flight is under 5 hours long so barely enough time to even doze off after take off/ landing time. I’m an Admiral Club member so I made my way to the Club. Guess what? Not the closest one to my gate so they have me go to the OTHER Admiral Club. No problem. Club is very nice – pretty busy for 6:00 am. Have a great shower room set up. Sign up at front desk and when it is your turn, they announce your name. Only complaint is that you only get 20 minutes for your shower. How can a chick be ready in 20 minutes? It still felt great to clean up after flying overnight.

Another smooth, on-time flight into MBJ. It was so great to see the Club MoBay rep waiting for me at the end of the walk-way. A couple of planes were coming in at the same time –it turns out my friends’ JetBlue flight from New York was late and got there just as we did. I was getting ready to walk-up to the Immigration Booth when I hear my name being shrieked at a very high decibel – Tom & Geri (yes-male/female, non-mouse, human couple with those names) have arrived with their Club MoBay rep. After a stern talking to from the very serious Immigration Agent about Silence being required in the area, I swore to her that those people were crazy and I’d never seen them before in my life! She didn’t buy it but let me through anyway – with a smile. Down to baggage claim where the rep grabbed my 70 pound bag as if it were nothing and brought it over to the Customs Agent. One question and I was through. Yay! In the past, when I have brought such heavy bags down, I have had to go over to the “dreaded tables” where they have unpacked everything, asking who I had brought down things for. I only bring extras down for kids (toys, shoes, clothes, toothbrushes, backpacks) so they have never charged me duty for anything. Hint- to help avoid the whole search in the past, I have taken off the tags marking my bags as “heavy” before I even get near the Agents.

Off to the Arrival Lounge to hang out until Tom & Geri make it through and to wait for my friend to arrive to pick me up. I will call him JoJo to protect the innocent (and not so innocent further along in the TR). I thought it was pretty funny when they called him to see if he was at the Airport and he said he was in Redding, I responded that it meant he had just left Green Island probably – knowing him. The ladies at Club MoBay thought it was hilarious that I was calling him out on his tardiness. Tom and Geri arrive and we enjoyed a couple beverages and a bite to eat before we headed out to our separate cars. They had made other arrangements because I was scheduled to get in after them. Off to Treehouse for both of us. Always love the ride to Negril – makes me nostalgic. The sights, the smells, the air…Everything about it makes me smile.

When we arrive at Treehouse, it is just like returning home – but better! Wow, all the upgrades look great! The front office people –all of them come over to say welcome back. Jermaine is there with that great smile to take me to my regular spot. We drop off the luggage and then I have JoJo run me to Hi-Lo. Even there, all faces are familiar. Andre and Omar run off to get my usual cases of everything. It seems like I buy a lot of booze for a non-drinker. LOL! Store seems a lot bigger with all the alcohol now conveniently located right near the door now that the Western Union is no longer inside. Genius marketing at work here…
    I then head back to the hotel to unpack, unwind, and decorate while waiting for 2 of the roommates (JK and JY) that are arriving later in the afternoon. So this is the deal with our decorations (we get asked a lot about them). We are old and cannot remember any of our trips from any of our other trips (we stay in the same room every time also) so every reach we pick a “theme” such as butterflies or luau and decorate the walls of our porch with the theme. This time it was “Vacation Princesses” and we had all sort of Disney Princess stuff hanging everywhere. Oh, and don’t forget the x-mas lights. Yes, we are truly running out of theme ideas. The fourth roommate was arriving the next day and since the day after that was her birthday we crowned her the “birthday princess” for the trip. Again, we are in our 40’s, 50’s, and 60’s. Not exactly the most mature group of people for this age range, I must admit… I am out enjoying the beautiful sunshine, saying hello to all of my much missed friends at the hotel – Moses, Budda, Dawn when I hear the voices of my friends just arriving! Yay! Let’s get the party started. They took a look around and were very surprised to see the “Adults Only” hot tub! My friend JK loves to hot tub so she was thrilled with the addition. We were all starving by this time so I decided to treat everyone to a delicious chicken from Chicken Lavish. A quick call to Doc, he heard my voice and started to repeat my usual order – everyone cracked up! I told him I had a few more people to feed and the order was in! We were all enjoying the start of the sunset when Doc shows up with more food than I’ve ever seen him deliver. It was also the quickest delivery I have ever had in JA. It was piping hot and wonderful! Doc hung around and we got caught up on all the things that had gone on since I’d seen him. As other people have mentioned, Doc ALWAYS has an opinion on everything and is not shy about sharing them! We love it! Eventually, maybe 2 hours later – we had finished eating and he got a call that he needed to head back to the restaurant. Best fried chicken I’ve ever had in my life. Sorry mom and grandma. JK was feeling worse and worse as the evening wore on so even though she is usually the night owl, she went in early too. We were all tired that evening but I still managed to stay up until midnight (that’s late for me!). Please don't do the math because it's only 10 pm in San Diego so I shouldn't be too impressed with myself! It's hell getting old...

Looks like I didn’t take any pictures the first two days (duh!) so I promise to have some from after that in the report.

User Info Menu

Re: First Time Trip Report from a Long Timer, Base Camp - Treehouse

great start on the trip report

User Info Menu

More please!

Fried Chicken from Chicken Lavish ROCKS!

Thanks,

VVHT

User Info Menu

great start! Now I gots to try the fried chicken at Lavish!

Sponsor

User Info Menu

Very nice! ready for more!

User Info Menu

Does Chicken Lavish normally deliver or is that special for long time repeat guests??

User Info Menu

I'm not entirely sure of the answer, the # is 957-4410. Can't hurt to call and ask. Doc or his son have always brought us our food personally but I bet, for the cost of the route taxi, he would have it delivered for anyone. He likes the business. As a side note, during the time he was visiting us he mentioned that he is now raising his own chickens and he has over 400 +. Now that is farm to table. They sure taste fresher than any of the chicken I get at home. I'm sure he will get a laugh out of me giving him a free commercial! I swear I am not a paid endorser. I always pay full price for my food! LOL!

User Info Menu

Thank you for sharing your trip...sounds like a lot of fun good for you.

User Info Menu

Fried Chicken from Chicken Lavish circa 2006

Name:  SANY0031.JPG
Views: 814
Size:  89.7 KB

User Info Menu

Hey mm ... Can't believe you packed all those activities into 1 day !
    Am sure you will figure out a different theme for you next adventure
    at the Treehouse. My wife & I met a very similar group of women at Treehouse,
    but I think it was a Chippendale's theme (lol).
    I have to agree that NEGRIL Treehouse is awesome ... Great staff & guests.
    Can't wait for more memories from the "deck"
    Very Canadian friendly place!