Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Say No to Jet Skis - Please let your voice be heard

User Info Menu

Re: Say No to Jet Skis - Please let your voice be heard

It will be interesting to see how the new rules will work or is a dismal failure do to lack of enforcement. If it works out well I just may see what can be done on our lake.

User Info Menu

designated areas sounds like riding around in a circle - lol - that'll be fun

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    It will be interesting to see how the new rules will work or is a dismal failure do to lack of enforcement. If it works out well I just may see what can be done on our lake.
    In addition to the zones, the Maritime Authority said they have increased funds for added patrols. Sorry, I forgot to mention that. As I said, they are taking this seriously.

I am not sure how big your lake is, but with the entire Caribbean just offshore, Jamaica probably has much more water area to create these zones making them of ample size for the noisy jet skis to buzz around.

But if your lake is big enough, this might work in your case...
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Thank you Gail for posting that information.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    In addition to the zones, the Maritime Authority said they have increased funds for added patrols. Sorry, I forgot to mention that. As I said, they are taking this seriously.

I am not sure how big your lake is, but with the entire Caribbean just offshore, Jamaica probably has much more water area to create these zones making them of ample size for the noisy jet skis to buzz around.

But if your lake is big enough, this might work in your case...
    I will be surprised to see how many patrols they will need to hire to enforce these "zones"
    Last edited by Jamerican71; 04-23-2014 at 05:25 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by elcyd View Post
    I don't usually chime in- and I'll be the first to say I don't know the history of this but with the little info I have all I can say is "Wow". I find it amazing that we as a bunch of visitors could possibly have a dog in this fight. I can only imagine the reaction Americans would have if some tourists from another Country tried to regulate what we could do in our hometowns here in the US. I am sure I will get blasted and get a lecture on the environmental impact of Jetskis etc, but help me understand why I have any right to email anyone on this topic. There are a ton of individuals in this underemployed town that relied on the Jetski industry. Sorry I just don't get it.
    I agree with you in theory but the reality is that Jamaica's economy is strongly based off of Tourism so that's why a bunch of visitors have a dog in this fight.

User Info Menu

I totally enjoyed the ban, when we were there in Feb. I was about to email the people on Gail's list, when I read Rob's reply.
    I understand both sides of this story.
    Personally, I'd prefer the jet ski operators move to an activity that is a little more health conscious. Maybe kayaking, or some other non-motorized way of enjoying the sea.
    I'll give the authorities the benefit of the doubt in this case. I've seen the reduction of "higglers" on the beach this year. I didnt think it was possible to control these aggressive vendors, but apparently, they've managed to do it. We found a lot less than previous years..
    If they could find a way to control that, maybe they can control jet skis too. I have to assume that they know that anyone relaxing on the beach dont want to be bothered with jet skis, and they will keep our best interest in mind. They dont want to lose tourist dollars either. I'll wait and see before I pass judgement.
    Country Country 2001, Sunset at the Palms 2003, Point Village 2004, Couples Negril 2006, Point Village 2007, Country Country 2008, Rooms Negril 2009, Rooms Negril 2010, Treehouse Feb 2011, Breezes Oct 2011, Rooms Negril Feb 2012, Rooms Negril Feb 2013, Grand Lido July 2013, Rooms Feb 2014, Riu Palace Tropical Bay May 2014, Rooms Negril Feb 2015/Treehouse Feb 2015 , Rooms Feb 2016. ....Rooms Feb 2018, Beachcomber May 2018, Beachcomber Dec 2018.... Rooms Feb 2019...Beachcomber Nov 2019.

User Info Menu

Here's some ideas...

JAMAICA
    Be green, be unique, be an example to the rest of the world.
    Lower pollution, create less noise, have safer waters, and attract more tourists.
    Add spot: (3 sec clips of beaches with jet skis ripping by, obnoxiously loud, with blue smoke coming out the back, just missing swimmers / Cut to a peaceful Jamaica beach, two people in lounge chairs, drinking Red Stripe, watching whales swim by ) Announcer speaks,"Jamaica, feel the vibe".

OPERATORS
    For every used jet ski buy 3 kayaks.
    Rent the kayaks and triple your business.
    Provide guided tours to increase employment.
    Less fuel and maintenance equals more profits.

OWNERS
    Buy a boat, they're much more fun.

User Info Menu

"Island wide there are quite a few jobs that have been eliminated due to the ban. There may very well be a ton of individuals who are no longer employed due to the ban, from the owner/operators, staff, mechanics, sales people, co-riders (for those who have never rode one before), etc..."

I assumed that elcyd's reference to that "underemployed town" implied Negril....and when someone says "a ton", I'm thinking in the thousand range. Do you think that the ban of Jetskis in Negril has resulted in the loss of a thousand jobs?

Being that tourism is the mainstay of Negril's economy, it makes sense that tourists' concerns/input would be considered.

User Info Menu

No jet ski's please!
    http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10765;128/st/20140626/e//k/ae6e/event.png