Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: First time Negril Trip report

User Info Menu

Re: First time Negril Trip report

My wife an supposedly the son of one of the guys in the reggae band Culture.

Sunset at Three Dives

My wife at Three Dives

User Info Menu

i have had the sam e issue several times on my report...great start..i love it!!!
    2009 trip http://www.negril.com/cgi-bin/discus.cgi?pg=prev&topic=196641&page=272185

2010 halloween---no TR

trip 2012
    http://negril.com/forum/showthread.php/5589-Trip-report-sept-1-14-including-pelicanbar-catcha-legends-samsara-pubcrawl-etc

trip 2013
    http://negril.com/forum/showthread.php/8323-gettin-my-groove-on-quot-TRIP-report-quot-boardie-bash-style-april21-may11-2013

.trip 2014
    http://negril.com/forum/showthread.php/11962-Trip-report-Boardie-Bash-2014-best-trip-yet

User Info Menu

Day 2 - After staying up until ~2am partying on the Kuyaba porch, I was surprised that we were up around 9:30 am and ready to roll. Once again we hit the beach.

Gratuitous pic of wife in bikini on the beach. ;-)

I became familiar with some of the locals, and started to work on my negotiating skills. I was able to get a couple of "subs" for $5 which I felt like was a fair price. I know you can find them for as little as $1, but I don't mind paying a little more if I think it's going to be good. I could have purchased enough subs for the whole week all at once, but we kind of prefer to just pick up a sub or two when we need it, so we don't have to carry it around with us. Plus, this way we could sample different types. Variety is the spice of life, after all. ;-)

I also took notice of the places the local guys went to drink and eat. This is how I found out that you can get coconut juice for as little as $1 just about anywhere on the beach. Sure beats the $5 they charge at Kuyaba for a non-alcoholic drink.

We decided no to stray drinking until around 5 pm so that we'd be able to stay up late enough to absorb the night life. I think we made it until about 2 before the call of the red stripe became too strong for us to fight.

My sister took us across the street to the Time Square, showed us where the ATM machine was, etc. On the way over, we met a jerk cook named Michael out front of time square. I didnt' know it at the time, but it turned out that this guy actually had the best jerk chicken we had all week. I really like the very slow cooked chicken that has plenty of time to soak up the smokey flavor of the wood they use ( I forget the name), and the meat just falls right off the bone. While most people are more concerned with the jerk sauce, I'm really more concerned with the temperature the chicken was cooked at.

For lunch, we went to a little place my sister knows of called Coconuts on the beach. Miss Angie was very nice, and was well respected by all the locals. Very friendly folks there, that made us feel very much at home. We would be back throughout the week.

Taking a break. I'll fill in the rest of day two and add some pictures in a bit.

User Info Menu

Little surprised they were hesitant to take you to tayons and corner bar. It's definitely more of a local scene, but o have never felt like they al were surprised to see us

User Info Menu

Went up to the cliffs again that night, like we did every night we were there. I forget the place we originally went but it was closed. We ended up goign to another place, which wasn't on the water, but was owned by the brother of someone important. I forget who. Think it was called Mi Yard. Another rustic, backyard feel with chicken coops, and a bunch of dogs. Friendly folks there, with some terrific food.

Afterwards we headed back to the beach. On the way, stopped at the Corner Bar again. This time the players were waiting for me, lol. Played a guy who only played one handed. He played pretty well, but lost the game. Another friendly, very tall fellow with a white girlfriend/wife stepped up next, and everyone in the place lined up to watch us play. I really like how seriously they take the game. The spectators were knowledgeable and the players were courteous and skilled. I don't remember if I won or not, but it was a good match.

Afterward, against all odds, I actually ran into someone in Jamaica that was almost my twin!

Oneee was an awesome guy, who was surprised by my mobility, and who seems to be a little bit inspired by my spirit. It felt like some of the locals probably don't treat him all that well, and he swelled with pride during the time we spent together. It's too bad he wasn't missing his right leg, we could have gone in on a pair of flip flops together! LOL
    Attached Images Attached Images  

User Info Menu

Very nice report!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flipadelphia26 View Post
    Little surprised they were hesitant to take you to tayons and corner bar. It's definitely more of a local scene, but o have never felt like they al were surprised to see us
    Maybe hesitant was too strong a word. They wanted us to know that there wouldn't be other tourists there, and that we should be cautious in dealing with locals. We were fine with that. We actually didn't meet anyone there that wasn't extremely helpful or friendly, tho.

User Info Menu

Thanks. Much, much more to come. Some was pretty crazy. I'm pacing myself. :-)

Sponsor

User Info Menu

Good stuff! Love that pic of you Onee!

User Info Menu

Nice job, Select..You are a very good writer ...Very interesting content. Sounds like fun...Keep up the good work!