Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: First time Negril Trip report

User Info Menu

First time Negril Trip report

I'll add more posts to the thread as I have time and/or remember things about our awesome vacation this past week.

First of all, Club Mobay is a good deal. For two people, cost $160 for both ways, but saved us at least 4-5 hours upon arrival. The line was brutal, and we just zipped right by it.

Patrick Granderson was our driver both ways between the airport and Negril. We paid in advance for both ways so we wouldn't have to keep money in reserve at the end of our vacation. Patrick was highly recommended, and even hooked us up with a local phone to use on our visit. Good value. He also clued us in on what the phrase "cold beer joint" actually means in Jamaica.

Kuyaba was amazing. Really felt like we we in the tropics. Not a 4 star resort, but thsts not what we were looking for, and it was plenty good enough. Loved the fact it was right next to the best spot on the beach, IMO, for live music, Burbon Beach. Food was good, but about twice as expensive as it should ave been. We walked to Burbon Beach or elsewhere for almost every meal.

Arrival day was cut short due to poor planning and thinking we could stay up all nite partying the night before our flight and sleep on the plane. Wrong. I think it might just be impossible to sleep on a plane, no matter how tired, lol. We ended up turning in early, which is highly unusual for us.

We had just enough time to hit the local grocery and stock up on plenty of red stripe and water. I really like the fact that you can take your own beer into just about any restaurant or club. Saved a fair amount of cash doing this.

More to follow.
    Last edited by select; 06-01-2014 at 09:29 AM.

User Info Menu

Re: First time Negril Trip report

Nice info waiting for the other installments

User Info Menu

What exactly is a cold beer joint if not a place to get cold beer?

Bringing your own beers to a restaurant or bar where they sell beer? Hmm...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by HarryS View Post
    What exactly is a cold beer joint if not a place to get cold beer?

Bringing your own beers to a restaurant or bar where they sell beer? Hmm...
    In this case, the term "joint" is not synonymous with "place", lol. I was wondering why there was like 20 different places called "Cole Beer Joint" on the way in.

User Info Menu

waiting for more
    Missing Jamaica

User Info Menu

OK, full day 1.

Of course, the first day we wanted to hit the beach for a little. Paul, the security guard at Kuyaba, found us a nice shady spot under a palm tree and we set up camp there for a couple of hours.
    Attachment 36910

As others have said in previous trip reports, the security guard does a pretty good job of limiting the vendors to 0 rebuttals. They can ask if you want to see their goods, but if you so no thanks, they must move on. That made it pretty enjoyable to see all of the various things they sold. We ended up getting fresh juice every day for $5 per bottle. I forget the guys name, but I think there was only one guy selling it the whole time we were there. He never failed to find us tho, lol. Each day was a different flavor, my favorite being pineapple and ginger, and my wife's was sour sop (?). Great mixers or just nice at breakfast.

Around noon it started to cloud up. As it turned out, it rains nearly every day during this time of year. The rain can be anything from a few sprinkles to a couple hour downpour.

We didn't want to be on the beach for the rain so we packed up and looked for a place to grab some lunch. Right next door was an empty lot, they were setting up some live music so we headed there. Live music is a big reason we decided to go to Negril. The right music at the right volume can make any event a memorable one. We were told by some of the locals that this was unusual to have live music during the daytime. We were also told that the lead singer was the son of one of the guys from the reggae band culture, who we are fans of. They set up and played through a light shower, and it was a good time.

Attachment 36912

During the show, one of the local guys we were with told me "Put your sub away, quickly! Hard hats are here." I looked over, and the police had shown up in force, maybe 6-8 of them wearing round, hard hats. They apprehended one of the "promoters" of them band and after quite of bit of excitement and verbal exchange, took him away with his hands bound. The locals were all shouting "Mafia, mafia" at the police as they left. I didn't understand at the time, but later it was explained to me that it meant that the locals felt that this was just a shakedown, that the venue was a new start up and had not paid off the appropriate officials to have such an event.

Some police stayed behind and did a couple of laps around the place before they left. They were definitely more interested in locals than they were tourists, which I'm told is pretty common. The locals feel that the tourists can basically get away with anything while they are often under heavy scrutiny.

We decided to go to "three dives" on the cliffs for dinner and the sunset, and the view was spectacular.
    Attachment 36913
    Three dives was nothing like I expected. I had heard so much about it, I was expecting something fancy. This was a very rustic spot with gorgeous views, decent food and fair prices. We prefer local spots and enjoy local people, and try to soak in some of the culture. After sunset they had a fire dancer. While he was entertaining, the locals thought he was a little bit of a joke, since his show has a decidedly African flair, the locals don't see what that has to do with Jamaica. Tehy do seem to appraciate that he found a niche and a way to make some a few dollars. They tourists liked it, for sure.

After dinner, on the way home, I asked if there were any local bars with pool tables. The locals were a little hesitant to take us there because they said not many tourists go there. I insisted though, so off we went.

The first one, I forget the name, it was like Taylor's, or Tavon's or something. It was right next door to the place that sells "sub" cakes, brownies, etc. It had one small pool table, and an extremely attractive bartender named Roccelle. They also had very good, slow cooked chicken. The local there we surprised to see us, and were friendly, but not very talkative, so we didn't stay very long, although we would come back to visit Roccelle again before leaving ;-)

The next one was the Corner Bar. This was was I was looking for. Very local spot with some gambling on the pool table as well as the machines. We met Monique, one of the bartenders there. There was actually a line of locals there to get food, so I knew it was probably both good and affordable. There were a few shooters there, and while none of them were quite as good as I was, I was impressed by how seriously they took the game. I won a drinks, and earned a bit of a reputation. On the way out, Monique whispered in my ear that if I wanted to come back, I would be welcome to use her stick. I thanked her, and said i would be back.

We finished at burbon beach. I don't remember if it was a live band or a DJ, but it was good either way. That was where we met Bernard and Veronica. Bernard is a rasta about my age (40ish) with a youthful, confident stride. Veronica was georgous, and of Norwegian decent, but had lived with Bernard in Jamaica for the last few years. My sister, who has beein coming to Negril for 10+ years, highly recommended Bernard, saying he was trustworthy, and of a similar mind. We talked to Bernard about being our "night life" guide for the rest of the vacation, and he happily agreed.

Tomorrow night, we were going to Las Vegas.
    Last edited by select; 06-01-2014 at 11:55 AM.

User Info Menu

Great stuff, man. Keep it coming please, just a note though; your attachments aren't showing up

User Info Menu

OK, thanks. The uploader must not be working here?

I'll try dropbox.

Sponsor

User Info Menu

Loving it so far. Can't wait to see your pics, soon as you sort out the issue.

User Info Menu

Ok, lets see if this works.

Here's Kuyaba, where we stayed.

Here's the balcony of Kuyaba

On the beach, under the palm tree. My wife in the green bikini

Live music in the empty lot next to us where one of the promoters got busted by the cops. My wife with my sister and her husband.