Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Places to stay in Port Antonio

User Info Menu

Re: Places to stay in Port Antonio

Match resort is a very nice property. I paid around $60 per night. A/C with pool very comfortable bed and flat screen t.v. The food their is very good and their is a bar also.

User Info Menu

I still have some time your comments are helping me narrow it down. Probably try a few different places. I have found that prices can be negotiated if you just show up and the hotel/guesthouse is not full. It also is off season and that helps with the price.

User Info Menu

Yes, Fern Hill is still closed and from the looks of it will be for a while. There is a villa on property that they rent out something like Lasonla Villa it's posted on tripadvisor under vacation rentals and has a pool but I can not recommend it ....have stayed twice and both times numerous issues.

The pool at Match and Bayview are both nice.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Accompong View Post
    Hi Jitters,

Yes, I know it is. As a matter of fact, I no longer like staying in Port Antonio proper (at least at the lower priced places I have used). As I think I told you, I was once robbed by a break in just off the main street. When I go now, I stay outside of town. I think that is a good recommendation for people who have never visited Port Antonio before.

I love the area. Just my personal opinion.

Peace and Guidance

I realize this kind of thing can happen anywhere, but... I read a few months ago about a particularly brutal attempted rape/ possible attempted murder at a small hotel near Long Bay (Portland). I've been a bit gunshy about booking a trip to Portland since reading that and a couple other robbery stories in the area. It's a shame, because we really want to check out the area (that, Ochi, and Kingston are the last major coastal cities in JA that we haven't visited), but I fear for the Empress' safety (she's a beautiful girl, and attracts much attention).

Talk me out of it (or into it, whatever). Please. I really want to see Portland, as does she.

User Info Menu

tah, long bay has a long history of crack addiction. great place during the day, but come evening, best leave!! there is really nothing to hold anyone there once it gets dark, unless you are a crack user. . . .really lovely area, back road to reach falls is breathtaking . . . the whole coastline between port antonio and st. thomas is full of history and beautiful. lots to see.

it's safe during the day . . . make plans to be where you are going to spend the night at sunset. . . . and enjoy yourself.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JitterBug View Post
    tah, long bay has a long history of crack addiction. great place during the day, but come evening, best leave!! there is really nothing to hold anyone there once it gets dark, unless you are a crack user. . . .really lovely area, back road to reach falls is breathtaking . . . the whole coastline between port antonio and st. thomas is full of history and beautiful. lots to see.

it's safe during the day . . . make plans to be where you are going to spend the night at sunset. . . . and enjoy yourself.
    Good to know, thanks. Though the attack I had heard about happened in the couple's room. I'm not 100% clear whether it was a small hotel, or a guesthouse. The girl didn't/wouldn't name the place.

User Info Menu

TAH,

I just returned from Portland. Solo for 11 nights and didn’t experience one moment of fear or trouble. I stayed (for the first time) at a villa that will from now on be my Portland home away from home. The property, located in Fairy Hill Gardens, is owned by a wonderful couple whose objective is to ensure their guests feel like family. Not meddlesome, just attentive. Seven units and all but two have AC. I plan to post information about Winnifred Breeze soon, but if you are considering visiting Portland, I will be happy to pass on a contact number to you or anyone else via PM now.

Not disputing anything JitterBug posted because she is more knowledgeable about the area than I am, but I visited Long Bay quite a bit while I was there in October of last year as well as a few weeks ago. I didn’t see crack users at anytime. Could have been because I stayed mainly on the beach side and not in the community? Like she said, it's a beautiful area.

Two Long Bay bar/restaurants where I hang out are frequented well by tourists. Most times I didn’t leave until dark and would hop a route taxi back to my room.

I don’t know where the robberies you spoke of took place, but I’ve stayed at several properties in Portland (always alone) and never felt unsafe at any of them. Again, I’m speaking from my own experiences.

I can recommend Match Resort, Tim Bamboo and Winnifred Breeze without hesitation. Toss in Gee Jam, Trident Castle or the Palace if your pockets are that deep. The other places I stayed are guesthouses/villas but because they don’t have AC, I won’t recommend them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by *vi* View Post
    TAH,

I just returned from Portland. Solo for 11 nights and didn’t experience one moment of fear or trouble. I stayed (for the first time) at a villa that will from now on be my Portland home away from home. The property, located in Fairy Hill Gardens, is owned by a wonderful couple whose objective is to ensure their guests feel like family. Not meddlesome, just attentive. Seven units and all but two have AC. I plan to post information about Winnifred Breeze soon, but if you are considering visiting Portland, I will be happy to pass on a contact number to you or anyone else via PM now.

Not disputing anything JitterBug posted because she is more knowledgeable about the area than I am, but I visited Long Bay quite a bit while I was there in October of last year as well as a few weeks ago. I didn’t see crack users at anytime. Could have been because I stayed mainly on the beach side and not in the community? Like she said, it's a beautiful area.

Two Long Bay bar/restaurants where I hang out are frequented well by tourists. Most times I didn’t leave until dark and would hop a route taxi back to my room.

I don’t know where the robberies you spoke of took place, but I’ve stayed at several properties in Portland (always alone) and never felt unsafe at any of them. Again, I’m speaking from my own experiences.

I can recommend Match Resort, Tim Bamboo and Winnifred Breeze without hesitation. Toss in Gee Jam, Trident Castle or the Palace if your pockets are that deep. The other places I stayed are guesthouses/villas but because they don’t have AC, I won’t recommend them.
    Thanks for the info, vi. I was kinda hoping you'd respond here, as I had read your trip report a few months back and figured you'd know about the area. I feel somewhat better now, though still a bit apprehensive. We're not at all the AI type of people, we generally stay at smaller, low key places. No AC generally isn't a problem during the months we travel to JA, so that wouldn't be a deal breaker for me as long as there is a breeze and decent ventilation in the room. If you don't mind, I would appreciate the contact info, and any other quick tips you may have. Thanks again.

User Info Menu

Agree with Vi have never felt unsafe while in Portland...the complete opposite. I'm naturally street smart so I never leave 'that" at home but never feared while there and a few times stayed in the Villa at Fern Hill which is VERY remote. All other places I've stayed I too have felt safe. I have read about issues in long bay and because of that I don't think I would stay in the area but it's not because I've felt unsafe while visiting. I think you will love Port Antonio and all that the area has to offer. Very different vibe there as compared to other parishes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sammyb View Post
    Agree with Vi have never felt unsafe while in Portland...the complete opposite. I'm naturally street smart so I never leave 'that" at home but never feared while there and a few times stayed in the Villa at Fern Hill which is VERY remote. All other places I've stayed I too have felt safe. I have read about issues in long bay and because of that I don't think I would stay in the area but it's not because I've felt unsafe while visiting. I think you will love Port Antonio and all that the area has to offer. Very different vibe there as compared to other parishes.
    Thanks, I really appreciate the responses. I'm a very street wise guy, and we love to get off the beaten track, but some of the stories I'd read combined with having never been to that side of the island (and the fact that the misses is very attractive) gave me second thoughts. Our last trip we stayed in a guesthouse in Treasure Beach, on Tranquility Bay, and absolutely loved it. We walked everywhere (so much walking I think my feet are still bruised) at all hours and never felt unsafe at all. One night we got lost and had forgotten our flashlight (it gets very dark there at night), we were six miles away from our place and walking little dirt tracks trying to find our way back. Ended up running into some random guy walking his daughter home, and he walked us all the way back to our place. We were just amazed, and really decided then that we wanted to get out and explore the island further. You guys have given me the push I needed, Portland is up next. Again, many thanks.