Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is sand gravity a choice? Trip report 2014

User Info Menu

Re: Is sand gravity a choice? Trip report 2014

Quote Originally Posted by MoFromMonroe View Post
    Now that was an interesting first night. Haha I had one of those a few visits ago only I was just staggering drunk. No sleep for almost 24 hrs. Went in the sea late at night which I would never do sober. Then went in the pool and stumbled and scraped my knee getting out. Felt great the next morning though.
    Well, I hated missing my first night but I felt great the next morning too. Up nice and early and right into the ocean!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NoWorries4 me View Post
    Loving your trip report but you're making me awfully lonely for Idle Awhile as it's the only place we stay also. We also run into the same people and it's like a homecoming. Also loving your detail.... I can just picture Eric chasing people out of your spot (which btw we'll have to fight you for if we're ever there at the same time! LOL). Keep the story going, we won't be back until November and it seems like forever!
    I will never fight you for it! It's a great spot but I don't mind moving, so long as Eric sets up an umbrella for me. I also love being under the palm trees by the way. Nothing wrong with that!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cleome View Post
    Your report is great so far! We are going to Idle Ahwile for the first time next week. This is the first time at a non all inclusive, so I am having a little trouble with how much money I should bring. We are staying in room #205. The last time I was in Negril , it was October 2012, and we had to stay another day because there was a hurricane and the airport was closed. I know hurricanes are dangerous, but it was so cool to be there and experience it. Negril wasn't directly hit, it came through the Kingston area. Those resorts closed up tighter than drums!

Please keep the report coming!
    How much money is always a tough one for us, too. But there is an ATM in town at the Scotiabank which you can walk to (long walk) or take a quick cab ride to. My husband did that one morning and he was back in 1/2 hour and I think the cab was $10.00. Also, many restaurants take credit cards so that cuts down on how much cash you need. You will love room 205! Upstairs, right on the beach (where we stayed the first five nights of our trip) overlooking the restaurant. You are kind of in the tree tops so that blocks your view a bit but provides lovely shade and you can still see the ocean through the trees. There is a blender in the kitchen, it's a pretty well appointed kitchen and I remember thinking all it's missing is a microwave. You will love it, believe me and the suite is really, really gorgeous. Have fun!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lisapat View Post
    Love those chair floaties at Idle Awhile...just like Couples....in fact, the Issa family owns Idle Awhile I'm told..that's why all the buildings, furniture, and everything mirrors the Couples resorts...love their little beach bathroom there, too. No one ever seems to mind us stopping there for a pit stop while we are walking the beach..
    Love the floaties!!!! They never seem to mind people stopping by and it's a great place to stop for a meal!

User Info Menu

Thank you all for the comments! I am so missing Negril this morning and our early morning dips in the ocean. We would get up in the morning, go for a dip and by the time we came out King, Needle or Sonia would have a pot of coffee and two cups waiting for us at the table. We ordered coffee one lazy morning in our room and almost by the time I had hung up the phone they were there with the pot! My husband had been sitting on the upstairs balcony in his underwear and didn't expect them so quickly. Thankfully he threw a towel on around his waist before he opened the door as he has a tendency to become way more relaxed in Jamaica than he is at home! Although, honestly, I doubt they would have batted an eyelash if he had opened the door in his skivvies. I think they see a lot of let's just say "different" behavior there!
    We always have these great plans to go to different places for breakfast and lunch but that old sand gravity kicks in again so most days we had breakfast and lunch right at Idle Awhile. Some of the lunches came from the beach vendors and those were my favorite (with a freshly made banana milk shake from the restaurant). I mean how can you beat sitting on the beach having your food choices paraded in front of you for you to choose from?
    Name:  IMG_0762.jpg
Views: 595
Size:  97.4 KB
    View from our table at the restaurant.
    Name:  IMG_0765.jpg
Views: 603
Size:  98.8 KB
    Looking back through the tree at the restaurant.
    Name:  IMG_0768.jpg
Views: 604
Size:  100.5 KB
    Looking back at the front building from the walkway. That's the room we stayed in for the first five nights on the top floor, room #205 (for you Cleome).
    Name:  IMG_0761.jpg
Views: 590
Size:  93.1 KB
    The balcony of Room 205.
    Name:  IMG_0750.jpg
Views: 621
Size:  96.5 KB
    The view from the balcony.

User Info Menu

We did manage to get to Treehouse one day for a very nice lunch and very cold Red Stripes. We were in Negril last July as well and it was balmy and warm. This year it was HOT and once you got away from the water it was so humid!!! I always felt soaking wet whether I was in the ocean or not! The air just sticks to your skin and turns to water as soon as it hits. When we finished our lunch at Treehouse the waitress sent Gail the owner over to our table and introduced us to her and we had a very lovely chat with her. So hard to imagine Negril as it was when she first arrived and one of my few regrets in life was that I didn't find a way to get to Jamaica sooner with my kids!
    Name:  IMG_3841.jpg
Views: 612
Size:  83.1 KB
    My husband on the walk to Treehouse. I like that you can see the beach and water behind him and then reflected in his glasses as well.
    Name:  IMG_3842.jpg
Views: 591
Size:  91.8 KB
    Treehouse! You can see that even though it's off season Treehouse was pretty busy!
    Name:  IMG_3848.jpg
Views: 604
Size:  91.7 KB
    AAHHHH. Can't you just taste that ice cold Red Stripe with the ocean breeze blowing?

User Info Menu

I love the pictures! 205 looks great, I can't wait! The picture taken at Treehouse with the sailboat in the background is vibrant!

User Info Menu

Loving this report!
    http://negril.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic9303_1.gif

User Info Menu

yes! the picture of your husband is perfect . . . irie is written all over his face

User Info Menu

Loved our lunch at Treehouse but can you believe that Treehouse is as far as we got on the beach in that direction? We were soooo lazy this trip!

We did rouse ourselves one morning to go in the opposite direction up to Mariposa's restaurant (darned if I can remember the name of the restaurant, eaten there a few times can never remember the name, it's Italian) for breakfast. Aside from one other man we were the only people in the place. I was disappointed to see the place a little bit run down but we had a really good breakfast. The coffee there was the best I had all week. The waitress was the only staff on duty (don't know her name) and she brewed us up a fresh pot and then steamed the milk! It was really yummy. After she made our coffee she announced to us that the chef wasn't in yet but not to worry she would cook our breakfast but just know that she would be in the kitchen for awhile in case we needed anything. Again I thought, oh no this can't be good but I was completely wrong. The breakfast was very good, cooked perfectly. I had a bacon omelette with bammy, which was very good and my husband had the $10 special and again everything was great. I don't have any pictures of the food but here is one of the entrance to the restaurant and the dog that was hanging out there and some other pics from our walk up and back.

Name:  IMG_3927.jpg
Views: 500
Size:  94.5 KB

Name:  IMG_3930.jpg
Views: 492
Size:  93.9 KB

Name:  IMG_3929.jpg
Views: 494
Size:  96.6 KB

Name:  IMG_3931.jpg
Views: 495
Size:  98.3 KB