Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is sand gravity a choice? Trip report 2014

User Info Menu

Re: Is sand gravity a choice? Trip report 2014

Great pics
    Missing Jamaica

User Info Menu

Although we've been to Negril a number of times (it's never enough though, is it?) I'm always looking for new places to eat and new excursions. Found Zimbali on Tripadvisor and it sounded really fun and interesting so I booked a dinner there along with a riverside facial.

If you haven't heard of Zimbali yet check it out! It is a small retreat/farm in the mountains of Negril, above Little London (if you know where that is). The couple that own it have grown it from a one room cabin to a small retreat with, I think, two cabins and three rooms, cooking demo/dining room, and working farm. If you go for a meal they will pick you up at your resort and bring you back and give you a tour of the farm before dinner. We decided to also take advantage of the river mud facials before dinner which were awesome.

Our day consisted of being picked up by Neil McIntosh (which I thought was such an interesting name for a Jamaican!) in the Zimbali van at about 2:00 and driving through small towns and then up the mountain, which alone was awesome. Upon arrival we were greeted by the manager who gave a brief welcome and overview of the farm and then led us into the small lodge building which in the back is a sitting room/veranda overlooking the mountain with beautiful wooden floors, Jamaican made wooden furniture and huge overhead fans (which were greatly needed! I thought it was supposed to be cooler in the mountains!). It's a lovely surrounding to sit in, relax and enjoy the homemade ginger drink that he brings you. Very peaceful and the juice was out of this world.

At about 3:00 we were led to the river by the two massage therapists who did our facials. The river is very small, really a large stream and shallow. They had placed two lounge chairs in the river so you lie on the chairs with the sounds of the river and the jungle around you while you enjoy your facial which included exfoliating, mud mask and a neck, arm and hand massage with cool cucumbers laid over your eyes. It was so peaceful and actually spiritual.

After our facials we walked back up the hill to the resort lodge where we were given another cool drink and there we met our companions for the evening. The meals at Zimbali are cooking demo meals done in the beautiful kitchen. You sit on stools at a counter top and the chef leads you through each dish from start to finish. Many of the ingredients are grown on the farm but all are gotten from local resources. Wine is served with the meal and it is a four course meal.

Before dinner you are given a tour of the farm by their gardener "GG". A very sweet and knowledgeable man. Let me tell you though that it was HOT on that mountain and so humid. I was literally drenched the entire time! My hair was hanging wet in my face! But it was a very beautiful place and really interesting to learn about the many naturally grown foods that they have in Jamaica and that they are cultivating on the farm. (Did you know that there are seventeen types of yams?) The couple we were with was great company, both were easy and comfortable to talk to and liked to laugh so we all hit it off very well. The tour takes about an hour, maybe a little more, I started to lose track of time around now but at the end we were again led to the verandah with a cool drink and we sat and talked for awhile before being led into dinner.

The dinner was great, really fun and very good food. As I said it was just the four of us, the wine was good and the chef (a young woman who's name I have forgotten, darn it) had a great sense of humor and didn't take any of our ribbing seriously and gave it right back! They have a fully stocked bar and after dinner we crowded around the bar and had another drink. However, when you realize that you are the only people there and that the entire staff is waiting for you to leave so they can go home you finish up and pile into the van to be driven home. We were asked to take the chef and the woman who made the juice drinks with us in the van and drop them off and it was during that ride and talking to them that we realized just how long their working days are! They had each been there since early that morning and when we dropped them off they still weren't home and had to either wait for a ride home or the bus. By this time it was after 9:00 p.m. It is astonishing how hard these people work and the long days you are expected to work in Jamaica!

We enjoyed our day at Zimbali very much and I encourage anyone interested in seeing a different part of Jamaica and enjoying a good meal and meeting new people to try it.
    I'm going to post a bunch of pictures from our time there in the next entry because I'm not sure if I can fit them all in this one. I hope you enjoy them!

User Info Menu

Name:  IMG_3849.jpg
Views: 452
Size:  96.8 KB

Once we got out of Negril, past the towns, this is what the road looked like. But it wasn't a deserted road. There were many little houses, farms, farm stands and those little store/bar buildings you see everywhere in Jamaica.

Name:  IMG_3857.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  99.5 KB

Such as this one!

Name:  IMG_3860.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  98.3 KB

The road leading past Zimbali. You can see the entrance stairs to the retreat on the right.

Name:  IMG_3861.jpg
Views: 446
Size:  99.9 KB

The entry gate.

Name:  IMG_3863.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  98.9 KB

Entry to the lodge building.

User Info Menu

We did Zimbali in April of this year and loved it! The food was delicious and the tour was great. We were about 10 people. There was a small band that played after dinner was served and we "cut the rug" before heading back to Negril.It was a very special evening. This is a "must do" while in Negril.

User Info Menu

Name:  IMG_3867 (2).jpg
Views: 417
Size:  97.3 KB

Sitting area of lodge.

Name:  IMG_3883.jpg
Views: 420
Size:  100.7 KB

The river.

Name:  IMG_3893.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  99.4 KB

View of some of the farm from the veranda.

Name:  IMG_3913.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  99.8 KB

More of the farm.

Name:  IMG_3924.jpg
Views: 419
Size:  90.5 KB

Coconut sushi! Really, really good.

User Info Menu

Great report on Zimbali!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Seveen View Post
    yes! the picture of your husband is perfect . . . irie is written all over his face
    Thanks Seveen. That is pretty much the look he has on his face the entire time we're there and for at least three days afterwards!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by justchuck View Post
    Great report on Zimbali!
    Thanks! My husband must have taken twenty pictures there so it was hard to choose which ones to post. We very much enjoyed it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nicollet View Post
    We did Zimbali in April of this year and loved it! The food was delicious and the tour was great. We were about 10 people. There was a small band that played after dinner was served and we "cut the rug" before heading back to Negril.It was a very special evening. This is a "must do" while in Negril.
    Yes, they told us they had an African Drum band on Wednesdays but Tuesday was just a better night for us. I'm glad we went Tuesday though because we spent more time with the couple we met on Tuesday during the week and really enjoyed it. Maybe next time we'll go on the night there's music!

User Info Menu

Wow! This is great, another cool place to add to my list of want to do things. Great pics of your drive to the mountains.