Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Jet skis soon come

User Info Menu

Re: Jet skis soon come

Although the pros and cons about pollution are interesting, I think the reason for the ban had more to do with the dangerous way the people who were renting them operated. I have no problems with nuclear power but I don't want a nuclear plant in my backyard. The same can be applied (although loosely) to PWC. There is more than 99% of Jamaica (I am guessing) where the operation of these PWC would not be in violation of the new rules.

The problem is that people who rent them out want to be where the people who will rent them stay and recreate. This intrusion into the personal space of sunbathers and swimmers is annoying and frankly dangerous.

I live in a tourist community in So. Florida and barbeque vendors and orange juice sellers are perfectly content to do them out of a store or restaurant and not out on the streets and beaches. This is not how things run in Jamaica. Jamaicans compete for any personal space that allow them to be "in your face" to sell and rent their goods. Yes, it is nice to get up off your beach towel and walk over to a PWC and get on and have fun but their close proximity is exactly what causes the problem.

Find a favorite PWC rental place AWAY from the beach and use their services. Once people do that in sufficient numbers, vendors will do enough business to keep them out of your "personal space"

I live in a rural community where this type of "in your face" competition for money is not a regular occurrence as this is mainly a urban and tourist thing.

Just my opinion.

Peace and Guidance
    Free Opinions Offered. No tipping required. Hours: Open when I feel like it.

User Info Menu

I live in a tourist community in So. Florida and barbeque vendors and orange juice sellers are perfectly content to do them out of a store or restaurant and not out on the streets and beaches.

I don't know if it's a matter of being perfectly content, or rather a matter of being legally required. And while it is a good thing not to have vendors in your face all day, in order to have that we lose out on the beauty of having barrel chicken vendors on the roadside. Good street food is something that is substantially and sadly lacking in more developed nations.

We have a beach house on the Florida panhandle and while there are no vendors to bug you (and no jet skis in the immediate area), the cost of food near the beach is high and the quality not nearly on a par with some good jerk.

User Info Menu

I own a jet ski and its in Jamaica right now. I shipped it just before the ban. What do I need to do to be able to ride it when I come in Sept? Who should I contact for insurance or what ever else is needed?

Administrator

User Info Menu

I would contact the Jamaica Maritime Authority. There are a whole new set up regulations that you will need follow. That is probably the best place to start.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

I wonder if they will make much of a living having to launch from a dedicated spot. For the times I have ridden the jet skis, it has almost always been a spur of the moment idea, and not something I would be inclined to travel any distance to experience.

User Info Menu

Good point Hussyband. A new marketing strategy will need to be formulated.

Here is a photo of a Jet Ski guy swooping down on his prey!

Name:  P1000125.jpg
Views: 714
Size:  84.1 KB

User Info Menu

Wow, great pic Papa Georgie, says it all! would not like to see the reaction of that poor floater when she's startled by (or hit by) the jet ski.

inexperienced and often under the influence renters are also a big part of the problem

I enjoy most of the vendors (I'm not buying short or out of season lobster tho), it's the hustlers, jugglers and cons I can do without.
    Last edited by goldilocks; 07-28-2014 at 02:24 PM.

User Info Menu

I think folks will go to the launch sites, perhaps coordinated with glass bottom boat-taxi pickup and return. Snorkeling trips are often planned in advance with a pick-up time and place. Same with pub crawls, shopping trips, other tours etc.

User Info Menu

This is a nice pic, but is that person floating inside the swimming ropes??? That's also a problem. Swimmers don't follow the rules either!! That's why the ropes are there. The jet ski's don't go into the roped off areas!!

User Info Menu

Is the ban still on?