Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: April 'bashment

User Info Menu

Question April 'bashment

Hi... new to board, glad to be here.

We (our Negril beach buddies) are trying to schedule our April 2015 beach vaca. Us - three couples, all in our late 40's to early 60's; met at SweptAway many years ago, and continue to meet there as often as possible. We can party, but not like the pro's...

Next year, some of us want to extend our stay on the beach by spending the first part of our vacation at one of the Mom & Pop's on the beach. We think we have it narrowed down to a particular establishment, but we are reminded that there is a week in April (this year it was the week of April 20, we think) that signals the end of the Spring Break festivities and the beach gets kind of overrun by the hardcore partiers. We would like to avoid that, if possible. Can anyone here... a boardie, regular beach buddy, bar or hotel owner, tell us what that week might be next year?

We'd like to schedule around it somehow, but need to know when it is.

Thanks for any help or insight you can offer.

User Info Menu

Re: April 'bashment

You wont see anyone there for spring break.

The last week of April is when a lot of people form this board head down.

User Info Menu

Flip -

Thanks... and that last week is when we're planning on being at the A-I... but what about the week before that? In next year's case, that would be the week of April 18, followed by our AI the week of the 25th...

User Info Menu

The beach is never overrun....spring break is pretty much a thing of the past...busiest moths here are in February & the beginning of August.

User Info Menu

Chris, if you can, sneak out of the AI on the last Friday in April and get yourself to the Boardie Bash. So many people to connect with and so much fun..

User Info Menu

dash... We hope to do that and look forward to it!

I hope that folks here do NOT misinterpret the hullabaloo I'm speaking of as being the Boardie Bash that I've known about from lurking this board for a number of years. That's the kind of fun I'd be in for! I'm talking about the kids who move on down to 7-mile on Mom and Dad's dime to partaaaaa. We know it happens every spring in March and into April... Elvis has his biggest party of the year at the park in Negril... he's no where to be found during the day during this stretch. Other "happenings" can be found all along the beach as the college kids wind down before heading back home; its only for a few days, I know.... Thursday to Saturday... but I'd really like to schedule a non-AI stay around this, hopefully during the 2nd last week of April (18-25) 2015.

Administrator

User Info Menu

No worries man! "Spring Break" is a thing of the past.

The last sizable spring break was over a decade ago in 2002. Since then it has gotten to the point that it is not even noticeable.

I personally know all the main Spring Break company owners and this past year there were less than 1000 students total during the old 5 weeks of "spring break" which encompassed March and the first week of April.

I can only think of a handful of colleges that have ever had their break as late as the 18th of April. The vast majority are in March. Here is a link to the Spring Break 2015 dates for the major colleges with April 4th being the latest break:

http://www.studentcity.com/blog/when...-spring-break/

Back in the 90's and early 2000's, there were up to 6000 students in Negril during a single week. This past year, there were not even 200 here during the "busiest" week.

So no worries man, you wont see anything like it was over a decade ago.

And we look forward to seeing you at the 2015 Boardie Bash being held on the last Friday in April - April 24th, 2015!
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

I am a regular down at Treehouse this time of year and I have never noticed an increase in "Spring Break" traffic. Always a good mix but our group (40's - 60's) are usually in the majority with some families and a few 20's groups. Most of them at some point or another end up on our porch with us. This is enough activity for most but usually the 20 somethings are out looking for something more exciting than what we can provide and they go down to Bourbon Beach or the Jungle, etc. They have never kept us up with there partying and they are usually surprised that it's as quiet as it is.