Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: July 23rd - The Emperors Birthday

User Info Menu

Re: July 23rd - The Emperors Birthday

It is always a little dangerous to discuss Religion as a topic. I am an Athiest who lives with a Garveyite/Rastafarian in a Christian community. You can just imagine the conversations/disagreements that this combination elicits.

My best friend, Marshall, embodies what I believe Marcus Garvey was trying to impart to the Black Race.
    http://consciouspen.blogspot.com/201...by-marcus.html

As usual, it is the more fanatical followers that come after them that bend and twist the words and the deeds to fit their particular beliefs. This is true of Rastafarianism as well as most all other religions.

I particularly like Garvey's saying...
    We must give up the silly idea of folding our hands and waiting on God to do everything for us. If God had intended for that, then he would not have given us a mind. Whatever you want in life, you must make up your mind to do it for yourself.
    Just my opinion
    Free Opinions Offered. No tipping required. Hours: Open when I feel like it.

User Info Menu

If you ever run into the the Coffee mon walking down the westend road. Ask him about Rasta. He will be more than happy to talk to you for as long as you want and tell you everything you want to know. Fascinating.

User Info Menu

I can imagine the conversations in my head that you must have seen or been a part of, I'm sure they were very deep and sometimes heated.

Under no circumstances do I want to start a religious discussion, I practice no religion but respect, regardless of their affiliation, the rights of those who do. I am a believer in the Freedom of Religion but an even stronger advocate of Freedom FROM Religion. I was only trying to provide TAH with some clarity from his post question "I just don't understand why"
    I practice One Love.

Happy Belated Birthday Kevin

User Info Menu

Classic vids, accompong! I know you will never forget that concert!

I know that Rastafari a no "religion," or no "ism." Rastafari is LOVE - Unconditional Love for the people, the planet, the creatures, the plants and yes, most especially the ones who have lost their way and trod the path of hatred and violence.

I know that some will come with "Black dis and dat, and Africa for Africans." I know that mankind originate in Africa so alla we are African. I know that "until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance than the color of his eyes - is a war." true words spoken by HIM

Freedom, Love and Respect Iyah!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by goldilocks View Post
    I know that some will come with "Black dis and dat, and Africa for Africans." I know that mankind originate in Africa so alla we are African. I know that "until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance than the color of his eyes - is a war." true words spoken by HIM!
    Couldn't agree more!

Thanks for the belated happy birthday Packrat!

Blue Cave Castle '12, '13 '14 '15 '16 Catcha Falling Star '13 Boardwalk Village '14 '15

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by goldilocks View Post
    Classic vids, accompong! I know you will never forget that concert!

I know that Rastafari a no "religion," or no "ism." Rastafari is LOVE - Unconditional Love for the people, the planet, the creatures, the plants and yes, most especially the ones who have lost their way and trod the path of hatred and violence.

I know that some will come with "Black dis and dat, and Africa for Africans." I know that mankind originate in Africa so alla we are African. I know that "until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance than the color of his eyes - is a war." true words spoken by HIM

Freedom, Love and Respect Iyah!
    Hi Goldilocks.

Couldn't agree more but just a minor correction..... I think the quote by HIM never included "-is a war." I believe Bob Marley added that to the quote to what HIM spoke in an address before the United Nations general assembly in San Francisco, California in 1963. Maybe I am incorrect but I think I am right. Anyone know for sure?

Peace and Guidance

User Info Menu

BTW, I did look up the exact speech incase anyone wants to know.
    That until the philosophy which holds one race superior and another inferior is finally and permanently discredited and abandoned: That until there are no longer first-class and second class citizens of any nation; That until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance than the color of his eyes; That until the basic human rights are equally guaranteed to all without regard to race; That until that day, the dream of lasting peace and world citizenship and the rule of international morality will remain but a fleeting illusion, to be pursued but never attained; And until the ignoble and unhappy regimes that hold our brothers in Angola, in Mozambique and in South Africa in subhuman bondage have been toppled and destroyed; Until bigotry and prejudice and malicious and inhuman self-interest have been replaced by understanding and tolerance and good-will; Until all Africans stand and speak as free beings, equal in the eyes of all men, as they are in the eyes of Heaven; Until that day, the African continent will not know peace. We Africans will fight, if necessary, and we know that we shall win, as we are confident in the victory of good over evil.
    http://www.nazret.com/history/him_un.php

Just a minor point but I like the facts. Thanks Goldi for making me work!
    Peace and Guidance

User Info Menu

Nicely done accompong

User Info Menu

I always keep my "Selected speeches of Haile Selassie I" by me and read a little bit of it each night. Through the speeches you discover an intelligent and thoughtful person.

User Info Menu

This haley guy is not mentioned anywhere in the Bible. He must not have been all that important.