Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: July 23rd - The Emperors Birthday

User Info Menu

Re: July 23rd - The Emperors Birthday

captaind, I believe in the photo HIM is presenting the elder with a special coin which he is said to have given out to a select few in Jamaica.

accompong, mi love ya back! those words were a part of HIM's actual speech and Bob spread them even further throughout the world. That same album began my path and it still has a place of honor in my collection of vinyl.

Papa, not too sure about that title but will take a look. sometimes the biographer puts their own spin on things. I was just watching an old documentary and the reporter was talking about "threatening" Rastafarian cults and about how Bob was "out of his mind" on ganja all day. More likely he was into his mind?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by goldilocks View Post
    captaind, I believe in the photo HIM is presenting the elder with a special coin which he is said to have given out to a select few in Jamaica.
    Certainly looks so.
    Linston's Zion Hill Taxi

Captain Dave

User Info Menu

Sometimes biographers do that yes. This one seems to be pretty even handed with the subject. Everything (and maybe more) that you wanted to know about Marcus Garvey.

As to the title. "A Negro with a Hat" refers to how W.E.B. Dubois (another prominent proponent of Black rights around the turn of the century) cynically referred
    to Garvey. This referred to Garvey's sometime ostentatious display of fancy uniforms and plumed hats. At that time a number of organizations (Garvey's being only one) competed for Black membership in the U.S. and the world.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Georgie View Post
    Sometimes biographers do that yes. This one seems to be pretty even handed with the subject. This referred to Garvey's sometime ostentatious display of fancy uniforms and plumed hats. At that time a number of organizations (Garvey's being only one) competed for Black membership in the U.S. and the world.
    The uniform and plumed hat is from another organization that Garvey belonged to.
    Linston's Zion Hill Taxi

Captain Dave

User Info Menu

Yes. The Universal Negro Improvement Association (UNIA).

Name:  Garvey book.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  91.6 KB

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Georgie View Post
    Yes. The Universal Negro Improvement Association (UNIA).

Yes that's true as well as another. Does the book mention his spiritual mentor Prince Hall?
    Linston's Zion Hill Taxi

Captain Dave

User Info Menu

I don't recall that Cap. I will say the book provides not only a comprehensive look at Garvey's life (warts and all) but also the various organizations competing for Black Membership from 1880's to 1920's. These were heady times for the "Negro Rights" movements.

User Info Menu

LOL, I was picking up on that cynicism (is that a word?) in the title, yes!