Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: July 23rd - The Emperors Birthday

User Info Menu

July 23rd - The Emperors Birthday

Last night I took a walk down memory lane to July 23rd, 1978. I was working security at the Santa Barbara County Bowl for a Bob Marley and the Wailers concert.
    Name:  rtemagicc_bobmarley7231978.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  27.8 KB
    This was also Haile Selassie's birthday and here is a link to an audio of that concert.

For those who know only a little about Haile Selassie, I am including a good documentary link.

This was a day that literally changed my life and why I now make Jamaica my home.

Hope you enjoy!
    Peace and Guidance
    Free Opinions Offered. No tipping required. Hours: Open when I feel like it.

User Info Menu

Re: July 23rd - The Emperors Birthday

This is the thing that I've never been able to grasp about Rastafarianism. I know the story about Haile Selassie, but I've never understood why they revere him. I've never felt comfortable enough to actually ask a Rasta about it, as it's something they take very seriously. I just don't understand why.

User Info Menu

http://atlantablackstar.com/2014/07/...aile-selassie/
    Quote Originally Posted by TAH View Post
    This is the thing that I've never been able to grasp about Rastafarianism. I know the story about Haile Selassie, but I've never understood why they revere him. I've never felt comfortable enough to actually ask a Rasta about it, as it's something they take very seriously. I just don't understand why.
    Of course, like anything to do with religion, it is a little complicated but here is a place where you can start to learn if you are interested.

Peace and Guidance

Free Opinions Offered. No tipping required. Hours: Open when I feel like it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TAH View Post
    Rastafarians regard Haile Selassie I as God because Marcus Garvey's prophecy - "Look to Africa where a black king shall be crowned, he shall be the Redeemer" - was swiftly followed by the ascension of Haile Selassie as Emperor of Ethiopia, he was then regarded by Rastafarians as the God of the Black race.

Haile Selassie is viewed as the King of Kings from the believed lineage that he is a descendant of King Solomon and Makeda (Queen of Sheba). Many Rastafarians believe, that from this lineage, he is the returning Messiah from the Book of Revelation. It can get very complicated. It is said Emperor Selassie himself did not believe he was the Messiah, but when asked if he would tell the Rasta Elders he was not the savior while in Jamaica, he stated "who am I to disturb their belief?"

I have found Catch a Fire by Timothy White (RIP) to be an outstanding read to help understand Jamaican History, Rastafari and the life of The Honorable Robert Nesta Marley. It is a tough read and I have read it more than 5 times but well worth the time and effort, Amazon has it. Hope this helps without offending anyone.
    Last edited by Packrat; 07-25-2014 at 02:05 PM. Reason: spelling and punctuation

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

An excellent book "Emperor" by Ryszard Kapuscinski [English, Amazon $ 4.99].
    Walter,Lidia

http://negrilluxuryapartments.com/
    http://negril.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=31818&d=1386348030[/IMG][/QUOTE]

User Info Menu

I did not realize I shared a birthday with Haile Selassie!

Blue Cave Castle '12, '13 '14 '15 '16 Catcha Falling Star '13 Boardwalk Village '14 '15

User Info Menu

There is wealth of encoded information on the Ethiopian flag of Selassie's time. The flag is called the "Lion of Judah"

The second illustration was the Imperial Standard of H.I.M. Even more esoteric meaning

Name:  et-lion1.gif
Views: 410
Size:  5.5 KB

Name:  1949ethimpobv.jpg
Views: 409
Size:  19.1 KB
    Linston's Zion Hill Taxi

Captain Dave

User Info Menu

Very true captaind, the flags are very telling, provided you know the history. In addition, we will most likely go to our graves without the knowledge of where the Lion of Judah (as rendered in the flags) ring is. Was "The Honorable" buried with it or is it the possession of Rita, David (Ziggy), or given back to the Ethiopian Monarchy, leaders of the Twelve Tribes would like to know, as would I.
    Last edited by Packrat; 07-24-2014 at 10:26 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Packrat View Post
    Rastafarians regard Haile Selassie I as God because Marcus Garvey's prophecy - "Look to Africa where a black king shall be crowned, he shall be the Redeemer" - was swiftly followed by the ascension of Haile Selassie as Emperor of Ethiopia, he was then regarded by Rastafarians as the God of the Black race.

Haile Selassie is viewed as the King of Kings from the believed lineage that he is a descendant of King Solomon and Makeda (Queen of Sheba). Rastafarian belief, that from this lineage, he is the returning Messiah from the Book of Revelation. It can get very complicated. It is said Emperor Selassie himself did not believe he was the Messiah, but when asked if he would tell the Rasta Elders he was not the savior while in Jamaica, he stated "who am I to disturb their belief?"

I have found Catch a Fire by Timothy White (RIP) to be an outstanding read to help understand Jamaican History, Rastafarian religion and the life of The Honorable Robert Nesta Marley. It is a tough read and I have read it more than 5 times but well worth the time and effort, Amazon has it. Hope this helps without offending anyone.
    I should have clarified; I understand all of what you wrote, I've read quite a lot about it over the years. I just... I don't know. I don't want to offend anyone, so I'll just leave it at that. I'm not a religious person, so that is probably contributing to my questioning of their choices.