Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Valid Passport?

User Info Menu

Valid Passport?

Quick question, From the US to MBJ what's the requirement for a valid passport? I've heard 6 months within travel dates but I just want to confirm... I have a friend that was denied boarding because it wasn't within the 6months.

Thanks for any feed back!
    "If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay home"
    Drink Eat be IRIE!

User Info Menu

Re: Valid Passport?

My understanding is it needs to be valid at least 6 months beyond the travel dates...

User Info Menu

Lots of conflicting information out there. Some say 6 months, others say it must be currently valid.

For example, the US State Department says "PASSPORT VALIDITY: Must be valid at time of entry" Source: http://travel.state.gov/content/pass...y/jamaica.html

But the Embassy of Jamaica to the United States of America says "United States citizens may travels to Jamaica for leisure and business without Jamaican visas, provided they fulfill the following requirements:

U.S. Citizens
    Have a passport or travel document, which must be valid for at least six months;" Source: http://www.embassyofjamaica.org/VISn...anvisitors.htm

Someone must have some better insight.

User Info Menu

I believe this is all part of reciprocation between the US and other countries. If your passport is no longer valid when you try to board to return to the US, they won't let you on the transport (ship, plane, etc.). Consequently, the country of departure has to have sufficient assurance that when its time for you to leave, you will be able to. I'm not sure of the Jamaican visa requirements, but it may be something like 6 months... I can't remember the JA I&C document that you have to fill out prior to entry, but I know they ask how long you will be in country.

User Info Menu

... and in fact, I just checked the Jamaican site, and it indicates there that if you are "landed" for time accumulating to more that 180 days (six months), you must obtain a visa...

User Info Menu

Ok, not American, but I emailed the Jamaican consulate once to ask about Cdn passports. I was told that the passport only needed to be valid for our return date, nothing after. Having said that, many airlines impose a 6 month validity requirement, so it never hurts to check with them as well.

User Info Menu

I've traveled w/in 6 weeks of expiration. Not a problem.

User Info Menu

Can somebody please confirm whether Jamaica has a 6-month validity requirement for US passports?
    Thank you very much.

User Info Menu

Found the answer to my own question based on current embassy of JA website.

Passports "must be valid up to the date of departure from Jamaica". There is no 6-month rule.

http://www.embassyofjamaica.org/visi...n_visitors.htm

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2nutz4travel View Post
    Ok, not American, but I emailed the Jamaican consulate once to ask about Cdn passports. I was told that the passport only needed to be valid for our return date, nothing after. Having said that, many airlines impose a 6 month validity requirement, so it never hurts to check with them as well.
    My passport was to expire 4 months from my return date on my Dec 31-Jan 10 trip. I thought I was good, however a week or so before leaving, I saw a Facebook post about it. Several wrote that the policy has changed and it's now 6 months. I called the Jamaican High Commission in Canada to ask, and was told I'd "probably" be ok, but it is now 6 months. I decided not to risk "probably" and got a rush renewal. Ended up using Mobay arrivals and my rep took me right past customs, didn't talk to an agent, and used the kiosk at immigration. May have gotten away without 6 months validity, but it seems it would be taking a risk. US citizens, it seems mandatory from the U.S. end, as well as the "official" Jamaican end.