Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Restaurants & Bars along d'beach mon!

User Info Menu

Re: Restaurants & Bars along d'beach mon!

Ok, so it would appear that we could ride the exchange rate and save as much as 7p/c using $J. Last time I used a cambio was in Europe back in 2000. So the next question, if you could all bear with me, would be how to get the best exchange rate. As I see it, I have a few options...

1 - I could use my local bank here at home, which may take a week prior to our departure
    2 - Use the cambio at the airport when we arrive
    3 - Use a local cambio in Negril; since we'll be spending our second week at Swept Away, I could walk over there from Palms and exchange. I'm not sure if there are other cambios nearby.

What's my best bet?

And as always, Big Up!

User Info Menu

Use option 3 for best exchange rate. I know the airport is terrible and I doubt your bank at home would be anything great. We convert some US to JA when get down but end up using both while there. Some places you end up saving a bit so that's where we use JA. Other places it's pretty much a wash. On our last reach in May, many restaurants/bars were basing prices on 100 JA to 1 US. We never found a place that refused US. Don't convert more than you think you'll use. Otherwise you need to convert back or save for your next visit. We always bring some home but know we'll be back. We get our driver to stop at a cambio on the way from the airport and send him in with some cash. He knows who has the best exchange rate and even gets a little better deal than us as tourists. Just make sure he gives the receipt and count the money in front of him. Our driver is very honest and insists we do it that way. Have Fun!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NoWorries4 me View Post
    Use option 3 for best exchange rate. I know the airport is terrible and I doubt your bank at home would be anything great. We convert some US to JA when get down but end up using both while there. Some places you end up saving a bit so that's where we use JA. Other places it's pretty much a wash. On our last reach in May, many restaurants/bars were basing prices on 100 JA to 1 US. We never found a place that refused US. Don't convert more than you think you'll use. Otherwise you need to convert back or save for your next visit. We always bring some home but know we'll be back. We get our driver to stop at a cambio on the way from the airport and send him in with some cash. He knows who has the best exchange rate and even gets a little better deal than us as tourists. Just make sure he gives the receipt and count the money in front of him. Our driver is very honest and insists we do it that way. Have Fun!!
    Great tips, NoWorries4 me... I checked the spot rate with our bank this morning... it was 93.6 compared to 112.4 at the MoBay cambio. It does look like the local exchange is going to be the way to go.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jody View Post
    We usually exchange Canadian to US before going to Negril. Once there, we exchange a bit of US to Jamaican. We carry both. Every place seems to have different exchange policies/rates. Menus can be in US, Jamaican or both. Vendors on the beach deal in one or the other also. This way, we can pay in whatever seems better at that establishment.
    Why not take some CDN to exchange for JMD when there? Especially when CDN to USD exchange is low. Easy enough to do and saves paying exchange twice. I paid a $400 US hotel deposit and was charged $455 CAD in April. Would be even worse now. I opened a Scotiabank account and withdraw at their ATMs in Jamaica for no fees. I use JMD exclusively though, except for my hotel.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gregandkelly63 View Post
    Why? In twelve trips I have never paid in anything in US dollars. No complaints from anyone yet!
    Of course no one will complain. You are overpaying.
    Last edited by kbisiar; 08-17-2014 at 08:53 PM.
    http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/kbisiar

User Info Menu

Doing the conversion isn't that hard. And if they are trying to take advantage, I can make up the difference with the tip. It's not rocket science. Plus I don't have to try to figure out where I'm getting the best exchange rate.
    July 1993*, Feb 2003, Aug 2005, April 2007, Feb 2008, Feb 2009, April 2010, Nov 2010, Nov 2011, Nov 2012, March 2013*, Nov 2013, Nov 2014, March 2015*, Nov 2015*, April 2016*, Oct 2016, Nov 2017*, May 2018*, Nov 2018*, Oct/Nov 2019*, Dec 2020*, Dec 2021*, May 2022* (Portland), Dec 2022* (Irish Town/Strawberry Hill), Dec 2023*, Dec 2024*

User Info Menu

Doing the conversion isn't that hard. And if they are trying to take advantage, I can make up the difference with the tip. It's not rocket science. Plus I don't have to try to figure out where I'm getting the best exchange rate.
    Most cambio's are just about the same on exchange rate... If you get 110 J to one US, and all of the restaurants and vendors have a 100J/1US (which they do, currently), then you're pretty far ahead of the curve paying in J.

User Info Menu

It's just not that big of a deal to me.
    July 1993*, Feb 2003, Aug 2005, April 2007, Feb 2008, Feb 2009, April 2010, Nov 2010, Nov 2011, Nov 2012, March 2013*, Nov 2013, Nov 2014, March 2015*, Nov 2015*, April 2016*, Oct 2016, Nov 2017*, May 2018*, Nov 2018*, Oct/Nov 2019*, Dec 2020*, Dec 2021*, May 2022* (Portland), Dec 2022* (Irish Town/Strawberry Hill), Dec 2023*, Dec 2024*

User Info Menu

You are missing the point. They use 100JA to 1US for convenience not really to take advantage. Penalizing your hard working server via the tip is a terrible approach. FYI many place like Kuyaba have the tip included in the bill so that is also something people should ask.
    http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/kbisiar

User Info Menu

No, you're missing the point. It's not that big of a deal to me. You do it your way. I'll do it mine.

And I know many places include the tip in the bill, you are not educating me on that. I've been there a time or two.