Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Interesting read on history of Jamaica

User Info Menu

Interesting read on history of Jamaica

User Info Menu

Re: Interesting read on history of Jamaica

Thanks for posting.

User Info Menu

For anyone interested in wonderful Jamaican cooking, recipes and Jamaican family history (the author's grandfather was co-founder of Desnoes and Geddes brewery-maker of Red stripe Beer) you MUST get the Belcour Cookbook! Available on Amazon and on the website http://www.belcourpreserves.com/ it's the best!!! Filled with tips, recipes,beautiful photography, anecdotes and entertaining ideas, it's a must have for any foodie or cook! Have started using mine already!

User Info Menu

I would like to know, in the Parliament chambers, what is the large staff/sceptre lying across the table with all the books... the history, the story, etc.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lola View Post
    I would like to know, in the Parliament chambers, what is the large staff/sceptre lying across the table with all the books... the history, the story, etc.
    It is called a mace. All the United Kingdom countries have one or two as part of their ceremonial opening of a new Parliament session.
    Name:  mace.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  68.2 KB
    http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/2...ead/lead6.html

Peace and Guidance

Free Opinions Offered. No tipping required. Hours: Open when I feel like it.

User Info Menu

Oh thank you Accompong! I always searched using the word scepter/sceptre and could not find anything. The right key opens the lock haha. From the (Jamaican) Handbook for Parliamentarians:

"The Mace is the symbol of Royal authority and the Parliament is not properly constituted without the presence of the Mace on the Table. There are two Maces, one for the Senate and the other for the House of Representatives. At the start of each day’s sitting the Presiding Officer is preceded by the Marshal bearing the Mace and the Mace is placed on the Table of the House. When the House resolves into a Committee of the Whole and the Presiding Officer functions as Chairman, the Mace is placed under the Table."