Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 68 1234561151 ... LastLast

Thread: trip report / july fourth, twenty-fourteen

User Info Menu

trip report / july fourth, twenty-fourteen

I hate trying to come up with titles for these things...

Who begins a trip report with ranting???…me! But it’s all relative.

Although going to Jamaica is one of the highlights of my existence I tend not to broadcast up coming trips for three reasons. One: without fail five or six people who I have no desire to travel with will tell me they are accompanying me then ask how much a plane ticket is. Two: I get unsolicited counsel, warnings and principles from folks who have never been. Third: and most dreaded is the “snickering” followed by the “getting your groove back” comment.

11 days prior to this visit, while talking to an old acquaintance, I let it slip I was going to Jamaica. Her daughter says...MOM!!! You should go with her so you can get your groove back!! (Daughter nudges mom’s right side.) Mom stands there giggling and actually considers the idea. I can’t believe people still associate that disastrous relationship with single black women traveling to Jamaica. It’s been 16 years since “the movie” which IMO ended as badly as the real life relationship. Why on earth do some still think woman want what TM experienced? I often wonder if single, non-Black women traveling solo get the “Stella” or “groove back” remarks pitched to them after purchasing a ticket.

Well after telling her the cost (of course inflated a couple of hundred bucks) she said maybe next time.

ha! me nuh think sooooo!!

End of rant…

User Info Menu

Re: trip report / july fourth, twenty-fourteen

Start of report…

7/4/14 Friday - day 1

Flew out of Philadelphia on US Airways. The airport wait was almost unbearable. It had been eight months since my last visit so all I wanted to do was blink and be there. That’s not going to happen so I need to find a comfortable seat and think of where I will be just in time for happy hour.

Boarding Call…finally!! Why are passengers loaded on the plane from the front to the back?? Filling from the back to the front will keep the line moving and less isle blocking. Doesn’t make sense. Besides it’s so hard to keep my hips from bumping arms and shoulders…

As I buckled myself in I envisioned the “on-line seat layout” of the plane. You know the one you view when you choose your seat. While waiting for take-off, I so wished the chart provided just a little more information about the other passengers. Like it would have let me know that the seat behind the one I selected was occupied by a whiney 5 year old and beside him was the father holding an inconsolable toddler whose cries would pierce my ear drums 50% of the time we’re in the air. I would have foresaw that the 7 year old girl in font of me would discover the recline button on her seat, but couldn’t decide if she wanted to be upright or tilted back. It would have warned me that the hips/thighs of the occupant next to me are just as healthy as mine while her companion, who is half our size, sat in the isle seat. I would have also been prepared to listen to the chatter of more school age children than I’m used to when I travel. Schools out so not only adults get to fly to Jamaica.

Going to be a long flight.

User Info Menu

An hour and forty-five minutes later, I remove my ear buds to change mp3 players. I packed 3. I listen to the two ladies beside me blend a little patois in their conversation. So, they aren’t new to de Rock. The more they talked about their plans the more I realized how wrong I was about their reason for going to Jamaica.

Turns out they're Canadians who conduct workshops for teens and young adults a couple times a year. Rox, the one next to me, enthusiastically detailed their volunteer work. Rachel, her companion, would glance up from her manual to flash a smile and add to or confirm what Rox shared. I immediately liked these two and became interested in what they did. This visit, the workshops will be in Montego Bay, then Port Antonio the last in Kingston. Before landing, I got a contact number in hopes of hooking up in Port Antonio.

User Info Menu

We landed under the exquisite sunshine of Jamaica much later than scheduled due to the plane having to take a different route avoiding a storm. What storm??? I don’t even remember.

JUTA to Ocho Rios. Got directed to big bus this time. I was the last one so I’m sure the others had been waiting a while for them to fill that last seat. They looked ready to explode. That’s the only negative with taking JUTA, you don’t know how long you will have to wait before leaving. I wish I could afford a private ride from Sangsters. Well I can, but that would mean dipping into my rum money…no way!

User Info Menu

Plan was to stay in Ocho Rios that first night to visit with friends. Between the delayed arrival and the wait/ride on JUTA, I didn’t get to Ocho Rios until close to 6pm instead of the expected 1:00. The visits didn’t happen.

After settling in the room, I decided to walk to the corner store for bun & cheese to fill my tummy and a bottle of rum to fill my night. Store closed at 6pm. Back to the hotel I asked Paul to walk me to the nearest store so I could get rum and something to eat. He told me his friend runs the restaurant at the hotel so I should eat there. We head down the street in search for rum. Wonderful thing that one can buy alcohol in just about any store or cook shop or fruit stand in Jamaica. Forget the market; my beverage purchase or a pint of rum and two red stripes, was made at the corner gas station.

On the way back Paul asked me for money for his children. Hadn’t changed my currency yet, I gave him what I could spare…7US, a red stripe and a couple of miniature Three Musketeers candy bars.

Back to the room I take out my phone to call momz. That’s when I discovered it didn't worked. Just sat there with a lit, blank screen. Possible I could have dropped it or something. Phone-less my first night isn’t a big problem, but I’m going to need one tomorrow.

The restaurant is owned by Miss Marie. She’s only been there for three months. Really nice lady and the place looks good. We chatted for about 15 before the growling from my stomach drowned out our voices. I promised her I would be back for breakfast.

Dinner...my first meal in Jamaica…fried chicken, rice & peas, and salad...delish.

A little tv, a little more rum and I drift off to sleep.

User Info Menu

7/5/14 Saturday - day 2

Up early to use Shelly Ann’s phone to call my Portland driver, then to Miss Marie’s restaurant to keep my promise of buying breakfast.

mmmm she’s an excellent cook. Much food…actually too much.

Ackee, boiled banana, sweet fried plaintains and a crunchy fried dumpling

Less than three hours later, I’m on my way to Portland. It was nice seeing my driver friend O’Neil again. The extra pounds he gained look good on him and clearly his arms have gotten more muscular.

After I got my welcome back hug, I tell him I need to get a new phone. He suggested I wait to get it in Port Antonio and that I could use his in the meantime. That was fine with me. I was just ready to get out of Ochi and on to Portland.

What about changing money...can I get that out of the way here? “Sure” he tells me. The jewelry store has a walk up cambio window. No one else was there. Perfect timing. Money changed but as we moved away from the curb I remembered I stored my cooler full of food in Shelly Anne’s refrigerator so we doubled back to the hotel to get it. I’m forever forgetting something and having to go back for it. Its super aggravating if it involves stairs.

User Info Menu

Collected my bag now on the road to Portland...

I do what I do and basically smile, remaining silent most of the ride. Just taking everything in...the scenery, the people, the intoxicating Jamaica aroma. I’m so emotional right now as we glide the smooth road eastbound. The glimpses of the sea from the road had me wanting to request a stop so I can touch it with a toe or two, but I didn’t want my return to Portland be delayed a minute longer so I continued to ride and maintain the goofy grin I wear upon arrival to yard.

Saw the most incredible golden, ripe pineapples standing at attention along the roadway. Had to stop and buy one. Paid more for it than I would from my home market, but I knew it would be worth the 350J. Dude didn’t have a sharp knife to cut it for me. I had one but didn’t offer it. From the looks of his hands and fingers it was best he didn’t handle any thing I plan to put in my mouth.

He didn’t have change so instead of letting me choose, he selected an overly ripe mango that will probably be completely rotten by the time we reach Portland.

ooooh myyyy it feels glorious being back in Jamaica!!!!!!!!!!!!!

User Info Menu

a Vi report.....i'm so ready for this!

love love the food photos and the pineapple lawd have mercy

User Info Menu

Keep it coming vi.

User Info Menu

Oh my! Something has been telling me to check out Negril.com all day. I have been waiting patiently for you to start your report.... I'm along for the ride....keep it coming. 11 whole days. You go girlie! So excited a Vi report