Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 15 of 68 FirstFirst ... 510111213141516171819202565 ... LastLast

Thread: trip report / july fourth, twenty-fourteen

User Info Menu

Re: trip report / july fourth, twenty-fourteen

A lot of erosion occurred at the base of the steps but other than that, the beach is just as beautiful and the ocean just as ornery.

User Info Menu

For about seven minutes, I had this sun lit beach all to myself. I delighted in every second of undisturbed solitude. Far enough from the cheering and jeering crowd at the bar, I only hear the rush of the waves as they roll up to the shore one behind the other.

I have yet to swim here. It’s not because of the undercurrent warnings. I respect that and would never go out far like I would other beaches. I just forget to come prepared to swim.

But now that I think about it, I would like to enjoy this part of the ocean with someone else, not alone. Someone whose hand I can hold as we jump the waves and mind our balance against the tide. Our laughter would merge and echo upon the horizon. Laughter…someone to swim with me and hear my laughter. This is the perfect place to be as free-spirited as the restless, inviting waters. However, not alone.

I stood at a distance watching a little boy about 2 and his female friend of about 6 take turns tossing a deflated ball, empty coke bottle and a short bamboo stick into the waves to be carried out a bit then returned. She did most of the tossing while he did most of the retrieving.

The babe didn’t appreciate his parents taking him by the hand and removing him from his assignment. Neither did I. I found watching the innocent actions of children having fun made my single heart smile oppose to grieve my solitude.

Standing to the side, I rest my stuff on the crumbling low wall safe from the splashing sea water. I turned my music up to drown out the applause and curses from the World Cup viewers. A hostess approached me.

“Good afternoon.”
    “Hello. How are you?”
    She flashed a movie star-like smile before answering
    “I’m very well thank you. We have beach chairs.”
    “Thanks, but I’m fine.”

The children are gone. I resisted the urge to toss the deflated ball into the crests. I’m sure it wouldn’t feel the same coming back to me as it did the little ones so I let it be just as the world has left me be…

User Info Menu

I thought the competition was over so I went back inside. It was just intermission, break, half-time, something like that. I was a little hungry but I preferred to get food somewhere else. Someplace that didn’t have a large screen tv.

It was time to move on. I did so half willingly because I wasn't sure if I could return before leaving Portland.

But when I do return, I hope to find this place still going strong so I could come back and enjoy the splendor of Long Bay Beach.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by *vi* View Post
    Hi Kaycee…yeah, I’m back. Gotta get these wheels rolling proper and not drag it out for weeks…months…years…lol Thanks for letting me know you are still tagging along. Do you have a reach planned?

TAH…NO WAY! Face to face? I would have either wet myself, passed out or both. Pretty certain it would have been both because I can’t imagine being eye to eye with a bull…and he had horns. I’m just getting used to the roaming goats! Speaking of Treasure Beach, I would like to hear your and your wife’s impressions of that area if you don’t mind sharing.
    I mean, we weren't nose to nose, but maybe four or five feet? Pretty close either way, but I just quietly told missy to slowly step back, cross to the other side and keep walking. He just stood there watching, didn't really move at all. There were a couple guys in the shack across the path playing dominoes that didn't seem at all concerned, so we just moved along.

Treasure Beach is a special place, fi true. It's so different from any other place we've been in Jamaica, in a very good way for us. Extremely laid back and friendly vibrations, very little hussle to the place. It's an agricultural community, the tourism board limits hotel size and a lot of places are fairly eco-minded. We stayed at a small guesthouse on the coast, isolated from the main "town" (Frenchman's Bay) and loved every minute of it. The landscape is a mix of tropical and desert plants, the coastline is varied between beach and cliffs. You can walk pretty much anytime, day or night without worry about anything at all. We actually got lost one night walking back from Great Pedro Bluff to Calabash Bay, ended up walking down two track paths in the pitch black hopelessly lost. Out of nowhere comes some guy walking his little girl somewhere, who gave us directions, which we screwed up... lost again (I'm usually a good navigator, not this night) and ended up running into the same guy again 20 minutes later. At that point he took it upon himself to walk us through yards, fences, and eventually put us on the road we needed to get back to our place. We made it safely, though I'll admit I was a bit bugged out at several points, and was prepared to defend.

I could go on, but don't want to jack your thread. In short, we love the place.

User Info Menu

hey vi, glad to see that someone has revived chill out. hope it's successful. great pics, makes me wish to be there.

User Info Menu

Good information TAH. I like your line “in a very good way for us”. I can relate to finding that “compatible” place(s) in Jamaica. No worries about jacking the thread, I have been curious about Treasure Beach and since you mentioned it I decided to ask your thoughts and I appreciate all you provided. I hope to check it out soon and may ask more questions, if that’s okay with you. So cool you ran into someone who helped you and your Missy find your way back. Being lost on foot in the dark is no joke.

User Info Menu

When I first went to the bar in 2011 I saw that is was in fair condition but the vibe was great and there were plenty people at the bar and eating. When I returned later that year, the place was closed. Still closed in early 2012 then opened under new management late 2012. The vibe was definitely different and for that reason I hung around on the beach. Then in 2013 it was closed again and looked like for good. Not only was I surprised to see it re-opened, but the renovations are fantastic. Even the bar was rebuilt. It appears the new owner(s) is there to stay. I hope so.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by *vi* View Post

When I first went to the bar in 2011 I saw that is was in fair condition but the vibe was great and there were plenty people at the bar and eating. When I returned later that year, the place was closed. Still closed in early 2012 then opened under new management late 2012. The vibe was definitely different and for that reason I hung around on the beach. Then in 2013 it was closed again and looked like for good. Not only was I surprised to see it re-opened, but the renovations are fantastic. Even the bar was rebuilt. It appears the new owner(s) is there to stay. I hope so.
    thanks vi, that's sooo sweet of you!!!!

User Info Menu

vi, i acquired my screen name of "jitterbug" while partying at "under the rock" . . . as i entered the bar area, i must have kind of a danced my way in. there was a few men at the bar and one of them said "aren't you a jitterbug" . . . and i thought it was appropriate.

User Info Menu

Took me a while to see this report, but glad I found it. I love your writing. I know one day I will finally visit PA and when I do I will be sure to offer up I small thank you to you for being the catalyst.