Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Credit Card Fraud - MAKE SURE YOU CHECK YOUR STATEMENTS WHEN YOU RETURN HOME

User Info Menu

Re: Credit Card Fraud - MAKE SURE YOU CHECK YOUR STATEMENTS WHEN YOU RETURN HOME

I must chime in. I live in Atlanta and use my bank card for all transactions on the internet along with paying household bills. I was recently reviewing my statement as I always do on a daily basis and noticed a charge from Thunderhost.biz in the amount of $49.95. I never heard of this website. I immediately called my credit union because my card was still in my possession. The credit union advised that they are selling consumers credit card information online. WOW! I filed a claim and my money was immediately returned to my account. It is happening everywhere all the time now. Stay on top of all your statements not only bank statements. You don't have the mindset of a thief so you don't know when and where they will get your information.

Keep smiling!

User Info Menu

Re: Credit Card Fraud - MAKE SURE YOU CHECK YOUR STATEMENTS WHEN YOU RETURN HOME

Chip technology is quite advanced... not only is it difficult to scan for the proper RFID frequency, but it is also nearly impossible to stumble upon the ever-changing key that is used to decode your information. Either the key was hacked (your CC company's problem), or there was another breach of some sort not related to the card itself... probably directed at your accounts. I suspect (although you haven't noted so) that your accounts are not with the same card company or bank. Both of you, same time, accounts used at the same retailer. You're missing something. I don't know what it might be... but your missing something. If you figure it out... let us know!

User Info Menu

Also, consider the possibility that the hack occurred BEFORE you went to the Rock! Did you both use the cards to purchase accommodations, airline, etc. at the same time?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chris B View Post
    Chip technology is quite advanced... not only is it difficult to scan for the proper RFID frequency, but it is also nearly impossible to stumble upon the ever-changing key that is used to decode your information. Either the key was hacked (your CC company's problem), or there was another breach of some sort not related to the card itself... probably directed at your accounts. I suspect (although you haven't noted so) that your accounts are not with the same card company or bank. Both of you, same time, accounts used at the same retailer. You're missing something. I don't know what it might be... but your missing something. If you figure it out... let us know!
    We didnt use our cards in Jamaica. His was Bank of America, and Mine was Chase. Both were VISA cards though.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris B View Post
    Also, consider the possibility that the hack occurred BEFORE you went to the Rock! Did you both use the cards to purchase accommodations, airline, etc. at the same time?
    We booked separately. He booked his own flight, I booked mine. I booked our room directly with Gail from Treehouse. So no, I wouldnt suspect that was the issue either.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flipadelphia26 View Post
    We didnt use our cards in Jamaica. His was Bank of America, and Mine was Chase. Both were VISA cards though.

We booked separately. He booked his own flight, I booked mine. I booked our room directly with Gail from Treehouse. So no, I wouldnt suspect that was the issue either.
    Well, I'm sure the anti-fraud folks know what the scam is... they just don't know how the scammers selected or got you, or they DO know and keep their powder dry. Our card is protected and administered by the bank (USBank) and their anti-fraud contractor has shut the card down twice in the last 10 years. Neat thing is they shut it down and waited for me to call them... both times. They then asked me about a couple of transactions, which were minor probing types of charges, for a couple of $$. When I asked how these charges triggered the shutdown, they were very guarded and would not tell me. I'm very surprised that you got hit with such a large charge so suddenly... there may have been some minor probing activity leading up to the big score. You guys should ask your CC companies a few questions to see what they might say.

User Info Menu

I was scammed at the airport in Mobay in April at the airport. My CC company caught it. This last week I purchased duty free at the Mobay airport with a CC with a pin#. The clerk and her manager insisted that I sign. Even though the receipt clearly stated that no signature was required. They would not release my purchase. So I drew a line on the paper as my signature and they accepted it. I have also been scanned in an airport in Poland. Airports worldwide are hotbeds of fraud.

User Info Menu

I always let my credit card and debit card companies know when I am going away. They ask the dates and how long I'll be there. If any charges seem out of sorts they call me and check. It's worthwhile to take the time and make the calls.
    Irie Sue

User Info Menu

I made the calls.

User Info Menu

I made the calls

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SLP View Post
    I always let my credit card and debit card companies know when I am going away. They ask the dates and how long I'll be there. If any charges seem out of sorts they call me and check. It's worthwhile to take the time and make the calls.
    I make the call prior to leaving but without fail, my rarely used card is flagged. The card companies ask you are you going to be making any unusual purchases but how do you answer that with a card you rarely use? I only use my card at certain establishments - Hi-Lo, Push Cart and the airport liquor store and thankfully no problems....yet.