Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Credit Card Fraud - MAKE SURE YOU CHECK YOUR STATEMENTS WHEN YOU RETURN HOME

User Info Menu

Credit Card Fraud - MAKE SURE YOU CHECK YOUR STATEMENTS WHEN YOU RETURN HOME

Both my buddy mike and I were charged 800+ dollars from a computer store called "G-Link Computers" in St Annes. Neither of us actually used the cards in question while on our trip. Mike was lucky enough to have his credit card company halt the charge as the transaction was being processed. Me, not so much. I am in the process of disputing the charge. Again, we did not even use these cards down there. They were somehow scanned though as they did come on the trip with us. Keep a close eye.
    Last edited by Flipadelphia26; 08-26-2014 at 08:11 AM.

User Info Menu

Re: Credit Card Fraud - MAKE SURE YOU CHECK YOUR STATEMENTS WHEN YOU RETURN HOME

Wow, that's crazy! Did these credit cards have smart chips, or did they just have magnetic strips? I'm wondering how they were able to scan the cards if you didn't take them out of your pocket. (I have heard that credit cards with the chips can be scanned from a distance.) I usually don't use credit cards when I am in Jamaica, but will definitively think twice about even bringing one down, now.

User Info Menu

Re: Credit Card Fraud - MAKE SURE YOU CHECK YOUR STATEMENTS WHEN YOU RETURN HOME

I am not entirely sure, so it would just be speculation. But this is a card, that I do not use frequently, but I bring with me on vacation in case of an emergency as it has a fairly high credit limit. You never know, right?

All I know is, the charges were definitely from a computer store in Jamaica.

User Info Menu

I'm not an expert on Credit Card theft, but this happened to my GF in New York City two years ago. The card never left her purse as I paid for everything, but on one occasion she had to show ID and we think someone was able to take a photo of the front of the card when her wallet was open to retrieve her ID. That was the only time the card was visible during our trip.

Didn't know about the smart chip.

Good luck,

VVHT

User Info Menu

A fellow traveler gave me one of these she bought extras of before her trip a year or so back. I put any scan-able type cards in them and keep them out of sight always except when inside a bank while in Jamaica. Don't know if this would have helped you but it might others.

http://www.idstronghold.com/Secure-Sleeves.asp

Peace and Guidance

Free Opinions Offered. No tipping required. Hours: Open when I feel like it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flipadelphia26 View Post
    But this is a card, that I do not use frequently, but I bring with me on vacation in case of an emergency as it has a fairly high credit limit. You never know, right?
    I hear ya. I wish I could bring my AmEx with me to Jamaica, as it has no foreign transaction fee and has the best consumer protection features. The problem is that AmEx is rarely accepted anywhere on the island.

User Info Menu

We bought a Citysafe travel bag for just that type of thing, there is a pouch inside to keep a wallet/money clip which prevents scanning of the cards.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the heads up. We very rarely charge anything while there...guess it doesn't matter...they get you anyway.
    I too would prefer using AMEX.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Everyone should always be checking all their credit card statements, regardless of travelling or not. If you have been following the news, millions of credit cards' information have been hacked from major retailers all over the US due to computer security breaches. This information is available for sale on the internet.

Since the cards were not used in Jamaica for any transactions, and the scanner technology and card duplication systems are rather costly and only work when you are in close proximity, it is possible that the credit card information was purchased online.

Flip - I know the owners of G-Link, they build decent machines and I have been recommending and repairing their machines since they started. If I can help from this end, please let me know. Also, since you were here for the Dream Week festivities and may have been in close contact to many strangers at some of the parties, did you both physically have the cards on your persons during this time?

If not, then the breach probably came from the US retailers who compromised their patrons credit information.

Regardless, everyone should be checking their credit card statements each month, travelling or not. Credit card fraud is a huge illegal worldwide business.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Rob, with all due respect. I am aware that CC Skimming and theft happens everywhere, and it is prevalent in the states. In this case, We were in Jamaica, and both of us had purchases from a computer store in Jamaica within 24 hours of our return home. The fraud was most definitely committed on the island, and by someone we had knowingly, but more than likely unknowingly, crossed paths with on the island.

How they were able to get our information? I do not know. Mike's card never left the safe and he had it hidden in an empty pack of vitamin C. Mine was in my wallet. This leads us to believe that it happened at the airport. Since this was the only time we both had our cards on our person at the same time.

I suspect that it was digital pick-pocketing. But obviously we have no way of knowing for sure. But smart phones or other devices can be made to skim CC information from people as long as they are in close enough proximity.

Rob, I appreciate your offer to help with G-Link. I wll let you know what the CC company says.
    Last edited by Flipadelphia26; 08-26-2014 at 09:47 AM.