Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tipping etiquette...what do you think?

User Info Menu

Re: Tipping etiquette...what do you think?

Bills not coins. Unless they're Loonies!
    We're all in this together and none of us is getting out alive.

User Info Menu

"Bar tenders, wait staff and house keepers are probably the hardest workers on the island, day in and day out."

They might be in Negril, but not in Jamaica as a whole.
    Regards,
    Bob

User Info Menu

So do you take into account the 10% service fee usually added to bill or just ignore it + go with additional 15-20%.... Thanks

User Info Menu

I'm a bartender in a small town and understand the need for tips to make a living...when I travel to Jamaica or anywhere I try to tip at least 20% or more, I feel they don't really get paid enough for the long hours they work. If I have extra money when leaving I will split it up between my servers also...
    [url=https://www.TickerFactory.com/]

User Info Menu

After 21 trips over the last four years I've spent over 12K US for food and drink mostly at Seastar and several others ....3dives, Cosmos etc.

I average 31.87%

Cap

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by captaind View Post
    After 21 trips over the last four years I've spent over 12K US for food and drink mostly at Seastar and several others ....3dives, Cosmos etc.

I average 31.87%

Cap
    Good man...give to those less fortunate...
    [url=https://www.TickerFactory.com/]

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by don+shelley View Post
    So do you take into account the 10% service fee usually added to bill or just ignore it + go with additional 15-20%.... Thanks
    Some places it's 20%. I know 10% is the government tax, the other 10% I assumed was a hotel added fee (never been quite sure, as I do not see this everywhere, but definitely where we stay). For myself, I just tip as if I were in the states. I know the person helping me is getting it then. I'm only there for a few days, I figure it as part of my travel budget. Maid gets $10-20 a day, luggage guys at airport and wherever a few $$ per bag, drivers tipped even after ride price negotiated. I even tipped the cook who made me all those fantastic dinners at Tensing last year. Sometimes, I think it is going overboard, but I only get to go once a year, so I just put it in that context for myself. I know that tipping at the resort has lead to service above and beyond the norm. I've had special meals made for me, stuff brought from outside by staff (last year, I got to try breadfruit for the first time after a random conversation about seeing it cooked in a video... It was not a menu item, one of the waitstaff brought it from home and asked the cook to make it for my breakfast) one of the bellboys even brought Cindi a goodbye gift a couple years ago (it was decorated shells, but is still out as a tchotchke in the house). The added expense is worth it to make someone else's day a little better for making my one vacation a year more enjoyable.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hussyband View Post
    Some places it's 20%. I know 10% is the government tax, the other 10% I assumed was a hotel added fee (never been quite sure, as I do not see this everywhere, but definitely where we stay). For myself, I just tip as if I were in the states. I know the person helping me is getting it then. I'm only there for a few days, I figure it as part of my travel budget. Maid gets $10-20 a day, luggage guys at airport and wherever a few $$ per bag, drivers tipped even after ride price negotiated. I even tipped the cook who made me all those fantastic dinners at Tensing last year. Sometimes, I think it is going overboard, but I only get to go once a year, so I just put it in that context for myself. I know that tipping at the resort has lead to service above and beyond the norm. I've had special meals made for me, stuff brought from outside by staff (last year, I got to try breadfruit for the first time after a random conversation about seeing it cooked in a video... It was not a menu item, one of the waitstaff brought it from home and asked the cook to make it for my breakfast) one of the bellboys even brought Cindi a goodbye gift a couple years ago (it was decorated shells, but is still out as a tchotchke in the house). The added expense is worth it to make someone else's day a little better for making my one vacation a year more enjoyable.
    I roll similar to you. I bring a couple bottles of quality liquor for the bartenders that I pick up at duty free. Some trinkets or Bath and Body Works for the ladies, gag gifts for some, etc. The housekeepers also know to grab a drink out of the fridge when cleaning my room. Once you settle in at a place you can get by with near zero effort, and for me that is a good thing on vacation. Found out on my last trip that the staff loved mosquito products. Amazon lights, citronella candles, coils and spray.

User Info Menu

If you are not basing your tips on quality of service you only do harm to the whole industry in Negril. There are people that should get tips for their service and some that should not but if everyone based their tipping on service you would find the industry gets better. Do you ever go and offer the kitchen staff a tip?

User Info Menu

Regarding the 10 o/o service fee... and I may catch some flak for this... subtract it from the bill before calculating a generous tip for good service.