Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: we just exchanged currency

User Info Menu

Re: we just exchanged currency

Quote Originally Posted by dash View Post
    TAH, Check the exchange rates. Kim and Betty's figures are just plain wrong. Way out there! Latest exchange gives you 25,800j for 250 cdn. not 30158j. (XE.com) JamaicaRobs anticipation= Priceless!
    thanx Dash, soon come

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gregandkelly63 View Post
    I have learned from recent experience that no matter what you do with your money, exchanges etc, someone on this board with criticize you and tell you what you are doing wrong and why. No matter how you handle your money, it's wrong in someone else's opinion.

I've learned to do whatever I would like to do with my money while in Jamaica and keep my mouth shut about it on this board. It makes life much simpler.

Respect!
    we like to purchase our exchange at home, it is also better then waiting over an hour at Scotia Ban in Negril ,we also did the changing of money in the parking lots too , soon come

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gregandkelly63 View Post
    I have learned from recent experience that no matter what you do with your money, exchanges etc, someone on this board with criticize you and tell you what you are doing wrong and why. No matter how you handle your money, it's wrong in someone else's opinion.

I've learned to do whatever I would like to do with my money while in Jamaica and keep my mouth shut about it on this board. It makes life much simpler.

Respect!
    i see now, thanks, soon come

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Momthor3 View Post
    already???
    yes, soon come

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TAH View Post
    Well, in both this case and yours people were merely trying to help. I undrestand you not caring much about saving $100US over the course of your trip, but the thing is, in this case they're just handing the difference to a bank. Banks don't need to make any more than the fees they already do. If the op exchanged in Negril, at a cambio or atm then they could spread that money around Negril, rather than fattening the coffers of a bank.
    Thank you for proving my point.
    July 1993*, Feb 2003, Aug 2005, April 2007, Feb 2008, Feb 2009, April 2010, Nov 2010, Nov 2011, Nov 2012, March 2013*, Nov 2013, Nov 2014, March 2015*, Nov 2015*, April 2016*, Oct 2016, Nov 2017*, May 2018*, Nov 2018*, Oct/Nov 2019*, Dec 2020*, Dec 2021*, May 2022* (Portland), Dec 2022* (Irish Town/Strawberry Hill), Dec 2023*, Dec 2024*

User Info Menu

My mistake you only short changed yourself $3778 JMD changing your $750 CAN at your bank rather than in Negril. When I visited your lovely Ontario several years ago CAN was more than US. When I looked up the exchange rate and saw 1.09667:1 I thought it was in your favor. My mistake. At least your beer is stronger.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jamaicarob View Post
    we like to purchase our exchange at home, it is also better then waiting over an hour at Scotia Ban in Negril ,we also did the changing of money in the parking lots too , soon come
    Waiting over an hour at the ScotiaBank in Negril? Why? My recall from my visit a year ago was that there were 2 ATMS's but I thought I read there were 4 there now? Maybe someone knows.

User Info Menu

We all come at this from many different vantage points. If you are just casually visiting Jamaica and don't want to fuss over a few dollars one way or the other then do whatever makes you comfortable and is convenient for you. There are some of us who will drive 40 miles just to save a few dollars and that is our decision to make.

When you live in Jamaica and a couple of hundred Jamaican Dollars sends a child to school by route taxi for a week, then it starts to make a real difference.

The whole idea here, in my opinion, is to have a good time and go home happy. Just beware of moneychangers as they may be passing counterfeit or will flat rip you off with no real recourse for you to take.

I am so looking to return to Jamaica in October and I usually take home about $5000 - $10000J from a previous trip so I can hit the ground running.

I hope everyone has a great vacation!

Peace and Guidance
    Free Opinions Offered. No tipping required. Hours: Open when I feel like it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Accompong View Post
    There are some of us who will drive 40 miles just to save a few dollars and that is our decision to make.

Your bang on again Accompong, as usual. Vacation time is something that's hard to put a value on and not something I want to waste doing anything else. However, some people will go out of their way to save a buck. To each their own.

See you on the Rock JamaicaRob. Respect