Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Need recommendation for cliffs hotel where a solo won't be hassled

User Info Menu

Re: Need recommendation for cliffs hotel where a solo won't be hassled

Quote Originally Posted by phineasfreakears View Post
    Go alone if you can, this is your cause, nobody else's. Take a three or four night trip. You will be happier if you do. You can go with family another time.
    agree!!!

User Info Menu

What about the scattering? Technically you have to be like 12 nautical miles out at sea to scatter (I'm really referring to dropping a biodegradable urn into the sea rather than a literal "scatter"). The reason I was thinking the cliffs was that there might be an unobtrusive spot that is too rough for swimming right there where I could drop the urn into the sea. I'd really be interested in hearing from people who have done this.

User Info Menu

We stayed at Home Sweet Home last year and it is very small and laid back. You really wouldn't see a lot of people unless you want to. As a matter of fact when we got there a woman we met had just lost her husband and I think she felt like the trip was a very positive experience. She was there alone. I can't remember if Jamaica was a thing they did together or not just that she was unsure whether she should go or not but by the time we met her at the end of her stay she was really glad she did it.
    Last edited by Kent; 09-24-2016 at 12:15 PM.

User Info Menu

How quick does this urn break down and release it's contents? People snorkels all along the cliffs, and if someone spots it they will investigate. You don't want someone bringing it up, showing it around and spilling it at the local bar. A little further out the lobster and conch fishermen may spot it. I would hire one of the local boat operators to take you out a ways. I am never surprised to find so many caring people there who want to help.

User Info Menu

You don't actually need to drop an urn. I was a part of a small group "seeing off a friend" and we did a literal 'scatter' into the ocean. Really nothing for anyone to find or disturb using that method.

User Info Menu

Name:  DSCN3463.jpg
Views: 378
Size:  92.1 KB
    Vincent took us out (not to the reef) to scatter the ashes. He was very respectful of our little ceremony (in the background of the photo). Then we went on to do some snorkeling and went to a concert that evening.
    Regards,
    Bob

User Info Menu

Hey, thanks, Bob, for showing this photo and the info that Vincent is cool with doing this. I thought you had to be miles and miles out to sea (who knows, maybe you do but no one adheres to it.) From what I understand, he goes by the cliffs hotels regularly...and I guess I could call him and arrange a pickup for this purpose (so that other people don't freak out). Not sure I'll go snorkeling...I always had trouble getting back into the boat because I am very short and now I am 14 years older than last time I was in Negril and more than that since I went snorkeling. Journey Earthurns are made of paper, so they float briefly and then sink. (http://www.passagesinternational.com...rney-earthurns)

I just don't want to freak anyone out with it. This is really helpful. Thanks so much!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rjonsun View Post
    Name:  DSCN3463.jpg
Views: 378
Size:  92.1 KB
    Vincent took us out (not to the reef) to scatter the ashes. He was very respectful of our little ceremony (in the background of the photo). Then we went on to do some snorkeling and went to a concert that evening.
    Regards,
    Bob

Beautiful picture. God Bless.
    Formerly SmokeySteve...but i lost my password.