Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Need recommendation for cliffs hotel where a solo won't be hassled

User Info Menu

Need recommendation for cliffs hotel where a solo won't be hassled

My husband and I were 19-time visitors to Jamaica betweem 1986 and 2007; 14 of those times to Negril, always to the beach.

I've been to other places in the Caribbean and in Europe, but only Jamaica makes all the tension in my neck and shoulders go away.

My husband passed away last fall, and I've been considering a solo "retreat" kind of trip back to Negril. I don't want a party scene. I want to sit, read, think, drink coffee, eat some fresh Jamaican food, have ackee and salt fish for breakfast, watch the sunset, maybe grieve a bit, maybe scatter a small amount of his ashes in the Caribbean that he loved so much. What I do NOT want is to be hassled by gigolos. I am 59 years old and overweight, which makes me a prime target.

I don't think I could bear going back to the beach where we went so many times together, so I wasthinking of staying on the cliffs. I've been looking at Catch a Falling Star, Westender, and Jackie's. The last one worries me a bit, for while I've been known to do some yoga, I am not a yoga/meditation devotee (mostly because I am working al the time). I just want to relax and heal my soul from all I've been through.

Can anyone suggest a property for me?

User Info Menu

Re: Need recommendation for cliffs hotel where a solo won't be hassled

Tensing Pen would be perfect to relax. Catcha is great too but more action.

User Info Menu

Haven't stayed at any of the properties you mention but thinking Westender would be a good choice. Not handy for getting out and about but may be good for your agenda. Good reviews, seaviews and like that they also have their own beach area as well.

User Info Menu

I'm a xtabi fan and I'm sure you can be hassle free on their property(" I think it's true,that science has proved,heart aches can be healed by the sea")Jah bless...

User Info Menu

Hello Hackwriter, Sorry on the loss of your husband. We will be trying The Westender Inn this winter this last trip we actually were so lucky to have been able to stay in a private residence off of Westland Mtn. Rd. (by canoe bar). But it was in the hustle and bustle of everything and we are light sleepers so it wasn't for us, beautiful home though, my friend started working at Westender so we got to check out some of the rooms and cabins. Jackie's on the Reef is a 3 min. walk from Westender. All the ppl. we talked to really loved the fact that it was so peaceful there. The van (driver) will take you to the beach or town for $3.50 ea. way. Westender has 2 pools wi-fi, ac, cable, a restaurant/bar, we will be there mid jan. Lots of ppl. on here really like Catcha, but that's really close to Rick's and all that goes with that. I agree with you that Jamaica has the ability to make everything seem betterIt's a great place to heal, I don't feel most of my aches and pains while there, the tension just leaves me, and i even manage to loose a few lbs. effortlessly while there, Hoping for 30 lbs this yr (will be there for 84 days) should be doable.

User Info Menu

The Westender fits what you're describing very well.

User Info Menu

Tensing is extraordinarily quiet. No higglers, gigilos, hustlers, anything. If you want to be left alone at the hotel, you will be left alone. The place is small, so not many guests. We have been there during times when the resort was entirely full, and it still seemed like it was our own private paradise. I value peace and relaxation above all while on vacation, and Tensing has that vibe.

User Info Menu

I recommend Tensing Pen also. Always a guard at the front gate, quiet and peaceful inside. If you want to step out, some good eats right outside the gate, Ras Roddys for ital., Ahbees for the best burgers on the island, or just down the road LTU for breakfast, or De Bar for awesome jerk chicken & lobster. Of coarse they also have their own restaurant, so you never have to leave if you so choose.
    Sorry to hear about your husband, I did what you are thinking of doing, my first wife's ashes were spread at White Sands, she hated the cold, and Negril was our second home. Peace to you

User Info Menu

How did you feel when you went for that purpose? Was it helpful or just very sad? I'm so torn because something tells me it would be a healing thing to do, but another part of me feels it would be a waste of $1000+ (including airfare) to sit and cry for three days. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by phineasfreakears View Post
    I recommend Tensing Pen also. Always a guard at the front gate, quiet and peaceful inside. If you want to step out, some good eats right outside the gate, Ras Roddys for ital., Ahbees for the best burgers on the island, or just down the road LTU for breakfast, or De Bar for awesome jerk chicken & lobster. Of coarse they also have their own restaurant, so you never have to leave if you so choose.
    Sorry to hear about your husband, I did what you are thinking of doing, my first wife's ashes were spread at White Sands, she hated the cold, and Negril was our second home. Peace to you

User Info Menu

For me it was a mix of emotions. Yes it was sad, like you are letting go and saying goodbye for the last time. It was also happy, and gave me a sense of closure, knowing she would be forever in a place she loved so much.I think the hardest part was just traveling there, with the ashes, memories and thoughts of trips and experiences you shared fill your head the whole time..I am happy i did it, I can feel her there every time I return. She is at peace, and so am I.