Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Need recommendation for cliffs hotel where a solo won't be hassled

User Info Menu

Re: Need recommendation for cliffs hotel where a solo won't be hassled

Crying is a part of healing. I say go and let yourself heal/cry. It will be worth the money.

Just my humble opinion.

Jah bless
    July 1993*, Feb 2003, Aug 2005, April 2007, Feb 2008, Feb 2009, April 2010, Nov 2010, Nov 2011, Nov 2012, March 2013*, Nov 2013, Nov 2014, March 2015*, Nov 2015*, April 2016*, Oct 2016, Nov 2017*, May 2018*, Nov 2018*, Oct/Nov 2019*, Dec 2020*, Dec 2021*, May 2022* (Portland), Dec 2022* (Irish Town/Strawberry Hill), Dec 2023*, Dec 2024*

User Info Menu

First of all, I'm so sorry about the loss of your husband. Love the idea of taking some ashes and leaving in Negril. Negril has always soothed my soul. While I have never lost a spouse, I did lose my mother and go through a divorce months apart. Thought the cliffs would be a healing place for me, and maybe this is just my experience -- and I'm prepared to take heat for it -- but I felt so lonely there. The wind and the waves crashing on the rocks really made me feel empty and sad inside. Decided to cut my cliff stay short and head to the beach. Once I got moved back to the beach (I'm a beach girl), I felt at ease again, less anxious, and was able to grieve and come to terms with my life again. It was a solo trip for me, and while I was sad and contemplative, I had never felt so alive and in the moment. One of my favorite trips EVER.
    Last edited by Maryann; 09-01-2014 at 09:39 AM.

User Info Menu

First let me say I am sorry to hear of your loss and God's speed for healing. Second I am a 30 plus visitor for 25 years and met my husband in Negril who happens to be much older than I and loves Jamaica just as much as I do. We discussed this situation of end of life plans which we want to be cremated and our ashes put together and scattered in Negril by family or friends when the time comes. So if you feel it too much a burden keep them and go enjoy a place where you heart and soul comes alive. All we have in the end are memories and what better place to reflect on them.
    Quote Originally Posted by hackwriter View Post
    My husband and I were 19-time visitors to Jamaica between 1986 and 2007; 14 of those times to Negril, always to the beach.

I've been to other places in the Caribbean and in Europe, but only Jamaica makes all the tension in my neck and shoulders go away.

My husband passed away last fall, and I've been considering a solo "retreat" kind of trip back to Negril. I don't want a party scene. I want to sit, read, think, drink coffee, eat some fresh Jamaican food, have ackee and salt fish for breakfast, watch the sunset, maybe grieve a bit, maybe scatter a small amount of his ashes in the Caribbean that he loved so much. What I do NOT want is to be hassled by gigolos. I am 59 years old and overweight, which makes me a prime target.

I don't think I could bear going back to the beach where we went so many times together, so I wasthinking of staying on the cliffs. I've been looking at Catch a Falling Star, Westender, and Jackie's. The last one worries me a bit, for while I've been known to do some yoga, I am not a yoga/meditation devotee (mostly because I am working al the time). I just want to relax and heal my soul from all I've been through.

Can anyone suggest a property for me?
    Rosalie
    Once u go u know

User Info Menu

So very sorry for your loss.

I agree on Westender. The staff is amazing and the vibe nice and mellow. You will get the peace your soul deserves. I don't feel the trip will be a waste, cry, shout whatever it takes and know that Jamaica will be there to soothe or whatever you need her to be. Also, think a day at Jackie's, maybe even a massage if you're into that sort of thing, would do your body and soul some good.

Blessings to you during this healing process.

User Info Menu

I just did a solo trip in August 2014, I recently lost my mom this June 2014 while she was in the hospital, I told her if she would pull through I would take her with me. My sister and I took my mother to Jamaica twice, Once at age 70 and then again at age 75 she loved it. I was going to cancel and decided to go and bring some of her ashes with me. I did bring her in my heart, soul, reminiscing memories there. I rented a boat and did just that with a few of my friends who reside in Jamaica. It was the best decision I made, it was so soothing seeing her ashes dissipate with the beauty of the sea. With that, I know she'll be with me everytime I'm in Jamaica.

User Info Menu

I suggest the Blue Cave Castle. Small, very private, and a great place for reflection and quiet. Respect and condolences.
    Sing unto God, sing praises to his name: extol him that rideth upon the heavens by his name JAH, and rejoice before him. KJV Psalm 68:4

User Info Menu

I scattered my husbands ashes in Negril on the reef while snorkeling in 2011, I cried pretty much that whole reach - bit his request gave me the push to go to negril by myself which I probably would never have done if I didn't have the 'mission' to scatter his ashes... He loved the beach and so I have stayed on the beach (I love it too) - but the gigolos are a big hassle for a single female so staying on the cliffs is probably a good idea - I'm thinking of switching to the cliffs for my reach in Feb myself - as a single female the beach is not very relaxing unfortunately....

User Info Menu

The most relaxing place I have stayed on the cliffs is Mirage. Now Le Mirage. There is no restaurant or bar, but it is very relaxing. The sister property is Charela on the beach. You can hang out there under the palm trees on the beach at Charela all day. No one will bother you there. Le Mirage has nice Big rooms with a fridge, great porches, balconies and shade down by the cliff side. Without a restaurant and bar, it is Very quiet. There are places close by to get food.

User Info Menu

My condolence on your loss......Negril is a good place to grieve. i am a beach girl and found the waves to be very cleansing and soothing to the soul. There you can scream and get some of the angst out! This pain never goes away but it does get easier with time. Go to Jamaica to help with the healing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ras Walleye View Post
    I suggest the Blue Cave Castle. Small, very private, and a great place for reflection and quiet. Respect and condolences.
    I'll second BCC if a pool is not a must have. You will have ocean access if it's not too rough. Teddy's is on premises for any meals. There is a store (L&M) across the street for most anything else you may need. There's a few other places for food\drink within a short walking distance. At the castle you'll be able to find most of what you are looking for whether its to be left alone or someone to talk to. For the most privacy I suggest getting a room on the second floor if you can.

My condolences,

Kevin

Blue Cave Castle '12, '13 '14 '15 '16 Catcha Falling Star '13 Boardwalk Village '14 '15