Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: murder in westend again

User Info Menu

Re: murder in westend again

Quote Originally Posted by Els720 View Post
    In reading this post there's a few things I need to ask. 1. Was this latest murder near the hotels on the west end? 2. Was there or was there not more then one homicide on the west end area a month or two ago by some bikers or something? Just going by what I thought I had read on this board. I'm just asking I'm not trying to make a point here. As far this not happening to tourist, and being between locals. correct me if I'm wrong but there is always a chance for collateral damage.
    Actually, as Rob pointed out in his summary of the news article, one of the victims lived on the north coast, EAST of MoBay, but still in western part of the island. The other victim, though living in Negril, had moved there from inland of Lucea near Jericho, which is about halfway along the coast road from MoBay to Negril. This particular gentleman may have had some baggage that led to his demise, as the assailants appear to have been known to him.

In these instances, it isn't fair to characterize these particular crimes and tragedies as endemic to the Negril (or specifically, West End) area, although one of them actually occurred there. I'm still of the opinion that these incidents are targeted toward local Jamaicans, due to circumstances that place the victims in a possession of business related cash, or something of value to the perpetrators. I don't believe that in any of the cases, tourists were ever in harm's way... and I don't say that to minimize these tragedies.

Look... it's easy for us to comment and speculate over what the hell may or may not be going on in Negril. But one thing is for certain. Not many of us on the board are familiar with the facts as those on the ground, living in Negril are; and we really need to stop bringing our own "facts" to the discussion without exercising some sensitivity to the families of the victims, some of whom we are personally familiar with.

Respect and blessings to the families of the victims.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chris B View Post
    This particular gentleman may have had some baggage that led to his demise, as the assailants appear to have been known to him.
    Truth.....

Most of this is not random but with "cause" at least in the eyes of the perpetrators.

"Walk good" is still true.

It ain't going to affect a visitor.
    Linston's Zion Hill Taxi

Captain Dave

User Info Menu

Will this have any influence on my visits to Negril?
    No.

The only thing I have to consider these days is; can I afford it?

None of this recent crime is against visitors.

The only thing that worries me a bit is the memory of the hotel robbery at the Falcon resort years ago, where tourists were robbed and a gardener was killed.

I only stay at secure properties like Sea Star (and so should you).

User Info Menu

Last edited by Piggymon; 09-16-2014 at 07:48 AM. Reason: question answered after reading entire thread