Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Let us be travelers and not tourist

User Info Menu

Let us be travelers and not tourist

This a simple 7 word phrase but, it has meaning far beyond the wisdom of most men. The friends who showed us the ways and culture of Jamaica and Negril are the same people whom taught us to be travelers. And for that lesson I am forever grateful. Please read on:

Tourist,
    It's usually easy for locals to spot a tourist among them. A tourist may carry a camera, guidebook and map at all times and wear the same clothing he'd wear at home. Tourists tend to stay in their comfort zones a bit; they may speak only English instead of trying to learn phrases in the local language; stick to major cities instead of venturing to smaller towns or off-the-beaten-path locales; and stay in areas where the amenities are similar to what they have at home.

Traveler,
    Generally speaking, someone who considers himself a traveler will try to immerse himself in the local culture rather than standing out. If you're a traveler, you may try to explore the less-traveled areas and explore locations where tourism doesn't drive the economy. You'll interact with locals. Your goals for a trip will be to learn and experience new things, rather than to take a relaxing break from everyday life. A traveler may consider a trip a journey rather than a vacation.

Becoming a better Traveler,
    If you consider yourself a traveler, you're likely already surrounding yourself with locals. Improve your trip by getting more involved with them. Find a spot in town where everyone seems to gather, like a town square or popular restaurant, and spend the day there. Strike up conversations with people of all ages. Ask questions about the local culture and talk about common interests; at the very least, you'll leave with a broadened worldview. Don't turn your nose up at tourists, and don't avoid popular attractions simply because they're packed with foreigners. Yes, the Eiffel Tower will be surrounded by tourists -- but you should still see it too.

The last 3 paragraphs are from an article that I had saved for some time. I know that 90% of all people coming to Negril never get off property, or at least the beach. Get up, go out and see the beauty of the people and the lands that are called Jamaica. Those trips into the countryside are some of our most cherished memories that I have of Jamaica. Let us be travelers and not tourist.
    [https://www.TickerFactory.com/]

User Info Menu

Re: Let us be travelers and not tourist

Don't turn your nose up at tourists
    Spot on! There is a lot of that going on around the various travel boards.

User Info Menu

VVHT = Very Very Happy Traveler

User Info Menu

I had a local ask me if I was a hippie or a tourist. I responded that I was neither, I was a traveler....he didn't like that answer.

Blue Cave Castle '12, '13 '14 '15 '16 Catcha Falling Star '13 Boardwalk Village '14 '15