Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Negril Newbies--so much to see and do!

User Info Menu

Negril Newbies--so much to see and do!

Hi Everyone
    I've been reading through the the threads...realizing that one week will clearly not be enough time when we arrive this upcoming January (staying at Negril Treehouse)
    That being said..I've planned a couple of things--with a few others to think about...
    Booked Ivans 100 Candle Dinner at 5:30 one night
    Reserved a couple of massages at Tanyas late afternoon.
    So..
    What about Pelican Bar?
    One Love Pub Crawl?
    Bother with Ricks?
    Day pass to any recommended hotels?
    Any other ideas welcomed! We are so looking forward to our first trip to Jamaica!

User Info Menu

Re: Negril Newbies--so much to see and do!

Don't plan too much, sand gravity may take over

The One Love Bar Crawl is a lot of fun and a great way to visit/experience some of the great places on the West End. Lenbert is a great host, we've done the bar crawl 5 times so far, every time is different but always fun.

Pelican Bar is unique, but a long way from Negril. If you're only there for a week, it might be too much to take a day out for that.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with Ricks, but some people enjoy it. You can enjoy the sunset when you go to Ivan's...

For the non-AI hotels, you don't need a day pass. You can pop into their restaurant or bar for a drink or meal and most (if not all) will let you spend time on their beach if you buy something from them.

My recommendation - take long beach walks or just pull up a lounge chair and relax. Most things will come to you, fruit, juice, souvenirs you name it. All available right before your eyes... I personally love the "entertainment" the beach provides

User Info Menu

I think a week is long enough to allow a day for Pelican Bar especially if you've never been...although it depends if you're the type of person that will like a place like that. Double it up with YS falls. It's a long day but worth it in my opinion. Check the transport section for providers. I've used a couple different guys and we enjoyed Rocky the most for that trip.
    Def do the pub crawl and try to do it early in your week so you can go back to places you stopped that you liked. It runs Sun, Wed and Fri.
    The 100 candle dinner is really nice. I'm sure you'll enjoy that.
    Ricks is okay for a beer or two and to see a couple high dives or if you're itching for a daytime crowd.
    Teds for tea and cake if you're into that sort of thing.
    A boat ride to go snorkling and to booby cay for lobster lunch is fun if it's a calm clear day.

Some of the vets here will likely offer up some lesser known ideas.

User Info Menu

Skip Ricks or watch a couple of dives then go next door to LTU for a great meal reasonably priced. YS Falls is nice I didn't care for Pelican Bar. Like Mike suggested take a snorkeling trip with a stop at booby cay. Have fun!

User Info Menu

Bus crawl is a lot of fun. We go every time we are there and you get to meet some great people. Personlly wasnt that impressed with Pelican Bar... Its neat but Im not sure its worth the hike and cost of the ride out there IMO. Ricks it okay for a drink or a rest stop on the walk to lighthouse. I wouldnt bother with the food there other than the Island burger if they still do that. Speaking of burgers make a stop at Ahhbees. Its worth it. I enjoyed the Tosh Monument but then again Im a fan. Check out Teddys Hideaway for a good meal if he is still at Blue Cave Castle. Some of the best days we had and will have are just walking the road and making stops along the way.

User Info Menu

You never know which way the trade winds will blow once you get there or if sand gravity will kick in, rendering you immobile. It's a good idea to have some ideas but not many commitments. There's nothing that is a "must do" with the exception of maybe the pub crawl (for 1st time visitors). Seems to me you have already booked the things you really want to do. My suggestion would be to reserve a spot on the One Love Bus for the pub crawl as early as possible in your trip. This will take you around the cliffs where you're already committed planned destinations are. It will give you a feel for that area. I wouldn't commit to much more than that but different strokes for different folks as they say.

Blue Cave Castle '12, '13 '14 '15 '16 Catcha Falling Star '13 Boardwalk Village '14 '15

User Info Menu

Do the things you have planed. Otherwise walk out onto the beach at treehouse and hang a left and go with the flow.

User Info Menu

As others have said, don't over-plan - just go with the flow. Most excursions can be arranged with one or two days notice, if you are so inclined. The Treehouse can take care of all of that for you.

The one exception being the One Love Bus Pub Crawl. As Kevin said, you may want to reserve your spot ahead of time, as the bus tends to fill-up fast.
    http://negril.com/nt/nt103013.htm

User Info Menu

Thanks everyone!! I like to be a little easy breezy on vacation but like to have a couple of definites to look forward to.
    Yes to the sand gravity--I am very much into that!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KKBoston View Post
    Thanks everyone!! I like to be a little easy breezy on vacation but like to have a couple of definites to look forward to.
    Yes to the sand gravity--I am very much into that!
    Oh one last thing....Please DO tell us about what you did do when you return!

Blue Cave Castle '12, '13 '14 '15 '16 Catcha Falling Star '13 Boardwalk Village '14 '15