Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jamaica Gleaner: Negril Beach Vendors...

User Info Menu

Re: Jamaica Gleaner: Negril Beach Vendors...

In the 90's there were "vendors" who were licensed. The massage ladies all wore pink uniforms and had a license badge.
    See below a picture of the "banjo man" who was always proud of his license.

Name:  jammin.jpg
Views: 501
Size:  40.1 KB

User Info Menu

Hey there, Papa Georgie. Hahahaha!! that's a nice pic...is that you? It's really good to see how far we as a small Island as come to present. I can just hear you playing now..."3 little birds set by my door steps" lol
    Sunny regards,

Tanya

www.SunbabyBoatReviews.com

User Info Menu

We would arrive each December and bring him fresh banjos strings...he would always say.. "Come back in March!"

User Info Menu

Hahaha!! great memories...great times as well. Thanks for jogging my memory!
    Sunny regards,

Tanya

www.SunbabyBoatReviews.com

User Info Menu

There needs to be a happy medium.

There obviously needs to be vendors to meet the needs of the tourist but there also needs to be some controlls established. Personally if I am laying in a beach chair I do not mind the vendors strolling by every few minutes offering their goods but it is when you try to walk the beach that gets a bit over the top, I cannot stand the feeding frenzy. Many times if I need to go from one part of the beach to another I will walk on the road to avoid the constant calls of the vendors to stop and talk.

User Info Menu

Most of you seasoned tourists know how to handle and interact with them .
    When a new tourist steps on the beach for the first time it is overwhelming. When I talk about visiting the Island I quite often hear negative things from people who wont return because of them.

User Info Menu

Agree treefrog.

Seasoned tourists to Negril probably mostly ignore what has become the "Negril Beach vendor culture". However, many visitors to Negril Beach come from countries and cultures where being accosted and solicited by strangers is perceived as an aggressive act. I sympathize with the negativity.

Once I witnessed a vendor in the shade away from the water call out to a tourist walking by the water, "Hey YOU!, Hey YOU!" I had to laugh. "Hey YOU?" Really?
    The guy was sorely in need of a marketing consultant.

User Info Menu

Idont mind them ,thats why i always have my vacation at Negril ,they make it special

User Info Menu

I've only had a couple bad run-in's with beach vendors, and one of those I could have clearly handled better. That said, the young guy in the Gleaner article was one of our negative experiences. He and a friend of his were very insistant that my wife give him one of her cigarettes, which she was running low on and can't be found in JA. She offered him the rest of the one she was smoking, but he kept on, and then reached to take one of her cigarettes. I stepped in at that point and stopped him, gave him her half cig, and told him to take what was offered and nothing more. At that, he grinned a bit and walked away. This was after we had bought some fruit for the day from him. I could understand if the police are hassling him, as I'm sure we aren't the only one's he has gone a step too far with.