Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Try a few days on da cliffs?

User Info Menu

Re: Try a few days on da cliffs?

Thanks for your input everyone! I'm leaning towards trying the cliffs for 3 nights at the beginning to help us unwind & reconnect. We have a hectic work schedule, who doesn't??? LOL! We usually stay at Couples, but really want to explore "outside the box". 2 yrs ago we did Couples in Ochi for 4 nights, and it was very romantic and relaxing, before going to Couples on 7 mile beach, which is just a different relaxing vibe. Can't wait to try non AI and hit some more "local" spots. Will definitely chime in on our experience!

User Info Menu

I see that Mirage is raising their rates this year. All levels used to be the same price, now the 2nd and 3rd floor are higher. Used to be cheaper than new ground floor price for any room. I usually travel off season and get the single price.TP seems really high, and Catcha, I don't care for their $30 reservation fee that they sneak on. Was going to treat myself with Pisces for one night but with the current exchange rate and the $30 fee it passed my upper limit. Home Sweet Home is one that I'm interested in for sea view rooms. Will be staying at Catcha Gardens this winter for $77/night tax in. Will have to walk across to LTU for the sea view!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_D View Post
    You can usually catch a deal at Mirage (Negril One Stop has a good one now), but the published base rates are little on the higher side. Nadine quoted me over $120 for a third floor room in November of this year, if I booked directly with the hotel. You can get Pisces or Little Capricorn at Catcha for less than that. During the winter the rates go up to $200.

I agree, that Tensing will be priced higher that Mirage in almost all cases - but in some scenarios, you can get a room Catcha for about the same rate. It all depends on what amenities you are willing to trade off on.

When I said that Mirage tended to be priced on the higher end, I was comparing it other cliffside hotel like BCC and HSH where you can get a nice seaview room for $75 during the slow season. You can get a room at Negril Escape even cheaper, but I personally don't consider those rooms to be that "nice". We have stayed at Mirage and we love the rooms and the property. But I do consider it a higher end hotel, as the average rates are generally over $120 a night.

User Info Menu

There are a lot of nice places on the cliffs - we have stayed 3 or 4 times at Sunset on the Cliffs. It's a bit dated and could use a bit of sprucing up, but it's got it! The the rooms are big, there's a room safe, the staff are warm and friendly, the pool and pool deck are awesome, the grounds are kept with tender loving care by Dudley. There's a dep literally steps away, Sips and Bit, Erica's and Eddy's Da Bar all with seconds walking distance. Get a seaview room and you will be addicted! The view is spectacular. The restaurant is good - you can ask for whatever you need. You may pay for a small fridge (I can't remember how much, but it wasn't a deal breaker), but you can get a coffee maker - whatever. They're very accommodating. We would have coffee on the balcony and just watch the sea. Incredible. It's not that expensive, either, and off season, they're negotiable. It's not so far up the cliff road, either. Check their website. Tell Samual Maggie sent you!

User Info Menu

M&G I am totally with you on this...Sunset on the Cliffs fits a budget nicely and has the best view, fab staff and location location location!!!! We were lucky enough to get screwed out of our Rooms room for a night and they put 14 of us up there and we are now repeaters!! We are booked there for our week on the cliffs this year and cant wait to go back. Rooms were maybe a little dated, but clean and the view was second to none. Balcony felt like we were the only ones there and wonderful food, and I hear they are doing an update as we speak so cant wait to see it!! Count down is on..
    “One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.”
    ― Bob Marley

User Info Menu

Melody, I was very surprised to see the new rate schedule at Mirage, as well. I reached out to Nadine to see if they would offer me a discount as a repeat customer. I was told the regular nightly rate for a third floor room was US $193 (double), taxes included, in November. They did offer me a 10% discount, but I still couldn't pay that price when One Stop was offering rooms on the lower floors for $80.

I did see that Mirage is now offering a $25 dinner credit at Le Vendome, which is a nice touch.

User Info Menu

We've always stayed on the cliffs but a couple of years ago we decided to try the beach. Our room was beautiful and the location was good but the vibe was different. The cliffs are far more casual and the staff is friendlier. We found the better restaurants are on the cliffs and there's lots of little bars to stop off at. It has a more authentic Jamaican feel as you are staying amongst the residents. We have decided we are cliff dwellers.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_D View Post
    Melody, I was very surprised to see the new rate schedule at Mirage, as well. I reached out to Nadine to see if they would offer me a discount as a repeat customer. I was told the regular nightly rate for a third floor room was US $193 (double), taxes included, in November. They did offer me a 10% discount, but I still couldn't pay that price when One Stop was offering rooms on the lower floors for $80.

I did see that Mirage is now offering a $25 dinner credit at Le Vendome, which is a nice touch.
    Are you staying at Mirage in November? I'm surprised they wouldn't offer the one stop special direct. Does the one stop special include 2nd floor rooms? I loved my 2nd floor corner room, great view. With the price increase, it would be nice if they offered free transportation to and from Charela...best of both worlds. I likely wouldn't bother changing hotels each trip if they did that.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Melody View Post
    Are you staying at Mirage in November? I'm surprised they wouldn't offer the one stop special direct. Does the one stop special include 2nd floor rooms? I loved my 2nd floor corner room, great view. With the price increase, it would be nice if they offered free transportation to and from Charela...best of both worlds. I likely wouldn't bother changing hotels each trip if they did that.
    No, we are staying elsewhere this time. I was hoping they would at least match the One Stop special. I had the same experience when I stayed there in February. At the time there was a very good deal being offered trough Deal Chicken. I first contacted the hotel to book a third floor room directly with them and they quoted me the regular advertised rate. After asking the about the Deal Chicken rate, they told me that I can certainly book through Deal Chicken but I would be getting a first floor room. If I wanted a third floor room, I would have to book directly with the Mirage. I'm thinking that it is a similar situation with the One Stop Deal, however I'm not sure if it includes first and second floor rooms or just first floor.

User Info Menu

That is a shame! Mirage is quite a nice cliff resort yet for that price...more amenities could be had. I really hate to hear this because I do like Mirage. I think that their decision might backfire. Many of we cliff dwellers may have to look elsewhere. I know if I owned a resort that is frequently not filled to capacity...I would rather decrease the price a little and fill up my resort! Guess since their is no bar or restaurant to increase $$$...the prices of the newer rooms increase.
    Still hate to hear it.
    [url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

User Info Menu

We love to start our trips to Negril with a couple nights on the cliffs. It definitely is a different vibe but we love both the cliffs and the beach. There are so many great restaurants on the cliffs, and for us, there is nothing better than sitting on our balcony/patio in the evening with a Red Stripe or Appleton listening to the waves crash against the rocks. Since you have so many days on the beach, I'd definitely spend a few on the cliffs to try it out. Our last reach we stayed at Spa Retreat and loved it!