Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Try a few days on da cliffs?

User Info Menu

Try a few days on da cliffs?

We're booked for 12 days at CC over the Xmas holiday, but am having second thoughts on staying on the cliffs for a few days at the beginning of our trip. I'm in total awww with Catcha, looks so relaxing and tropical with that eerie vibe. We r really beach people (hubby needs the hustle & bustle ) as there is so many bars & restaurant within walking distance and love that vibrant energy from the beach. I guess I'm kinda trying to convince myself that it will be worth the few $ more and need some convincing arguments for my husband that it won't be "boring" on the cliffs. Any input from fellow beach goers vs. cliff goers...

User Info Menu

Re: Try a few days on da cliffs?

Stayed at both beach and cliffs for a few years,love both.Catcha is really awesome but get one of the newer rooms to keep the night time(morning)noise to a minimum.Lots of places to walk to eat and drink but after dark you need to be really careful.Beach stays are a tad bit easier if you stick to walking along the road and not the beach you can party all night and into the morning with very little problem.Treat it like any stay in any strange town or city,just watch your surroundings and all will be good!!

User Info Menu

I have never stayed on the beach in Negril. Visit always, but not reside there.
    Trelawny yes, but not Negril.
    Your hubby might really enjoy a couple of nights on the west end before hitting the beach.
    It's worth a try and you don't have to cough up 'Catcha' money to do it. Lots of Cliffside places that will give you a great Jamaican experience for a lot less dough.
    The cliffs aren't boring. They're romantic, interesting, far more 'local' experience. (if that's possible in a tourist town)

User Info Menu

The cliffs are like a neighborhood,go either towards town or away it changes depending, but man,sitting here trying to think how to describe it,it's sweet...

User Info Menu

we did 4 nights on the cliffs on our first visit and will do the same again we are beach people but we loved the cliff saying that the 4 nights was enough for us there

User Info Menu

We are beach people and have tried two different places on the cliffs decided it wasn't for us
    [url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

User Info Menu

There is plenty of action on the cliffs, if you look for it. It's just more of a chill vibe, with a lot less hustle then the beach. There is a hub of activity around Blue Cave Castle and Home Sweet Home, with Pee Wee's, No Limit, Spyda Bar, Jenny's and Tayon's all within easy walking distance. L&M market is also right there for stocking up on supplies. Both BCC and HSH are affordable options with a sea view from every room.

There is another hub of activity around SeaStar Lane, with AhhBee's, Shark's, Ivan's, LTU and (of course) SeaStar all within steps of each other. Some of the cliffside accommodations around here tend to be on the higher end, such as Catcha, Tensing Pen and Mirage, but affordable rates can be found at SeaStar, Catcha Gardens and Banana Shout/Banana Gardens.

Of course there are plenty of cool hotels and restaurants in between but these are the areas that seem to have have the most activity and most places within easy walking distance. I say give the cliffs a try for a couple days then move to beach. I have really only heard 2 or 3 people say that tried the cliffs and won't go back.

Personally, my wife and I have decided to always stay on the cliffs. We value the peaceful, romantic vibe of a private sea view balcony or veranda. This is hard to come by on the beach, especially at an affordable price.

User Info Menu

Mirage is very nice but no where near the cost of Tensing and Catcha. For a couple, just over $100/night depending on high/low season.

User Info Menu

We luv the beach vibe and for the first time last year went with 7 days on the beach and ended with three on the cliffs.
    It was great and a nice way to wind down a bit.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Melody View Post
    Mirage is very nice but no where near the cost of Tensing and Catcha. For a couple, just over $100/night depending on high/low season.
    You can usually catch a deal at Mirage (Negril One Stop has a good one now), but the published base rates are little on the higher side. Nadine quoted me over $120 for a third floor room in November of this year, if I booked directly with the hotel. You can get Pisces or Little Capricorn at Catcha for less than that. During the winter the rates go up to $200.

I agree, that Tensing will be priced higher that Mirage in almost all cases - but in some scenarios, you can get a room Catcha for about the same rate. It all depends on what amenities you are willing to trade off on.

When I said that Mirage tended to be priced on the higher end, I was comparing it other cliffside hotel like BCC and HSH where you can get a nice seaview room for $75 during the slow season. You can get a room at Negril Escape even cheaper, but I personally don't consider those rooms to be that "nice". We have stayed at Mirage and we love the rooms and the property. But I do consider it a higher end hotel, as the average rates are generally over $120 a night.