Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SIM card digicel expiry

User Info Menu

Re: SIM card digicel expiry

[QUOTE=M&G Montreal;145050]Bless you, Cap'n! We always forget those codes and need to check!
    Rasthai - we are thee 24 Jan to 08 Feb. Hope we can meet up!

Well M&G we're at Treehouse as well for pretty much same period so looking forward to it!
    “Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”

User Info Menu

Forgive me, I'm not really phone savvy.
    I bought a cheap Digicel phone last November (to call taxi's) with a card and then loaded minutes. AND my very own Jamaica phone number !
    So when I return this November what do I need to do. I assume my minutes have expired.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by captaind View Post
    You may be in an area that doesn't support Digicel roaming. It's usually T-Mobile or ATT. They are both GSM but there are areas where the Digicel SIM can't find a compatible cell tower.
    Yup. Like I said before, it probably took a few hours for my phone to connect to any network; but when it did, it said "ATT-Digicel" on the screen. I was then able to try *120# and see that I had no credits. I'm using a 5 year old AT&T Blackberry that I unlocked and had setup with a digicel SIM a couple years ago.

I never knew about the *124#, Captain. Thanks for the heads-up! I'm gonna try it now.

User Info Menu

Maybe I'm just unlucky but with the last sim I bought I forgot to top it up and after 3 months it had been re-assigned. So I wouldn't trust that a year old sim is still active if you haven't kept it topped up.
    Sing unto God, sing praises to his name: extol him that rideth upon the heavens by his name JAH, and rejoice before him. KJV Psalm 68:4

User Info Menu

Rasthai! Please note that you can top up your phone online at digiceljamaica.com. Once you top-up online you will have all your credits available to you when next you visit JA which would be a HUGH amount!! I would suggest at less $5 or $10per month...you will have tons of mins available to you in JA. Also, you can dial *120# that will tell you if you have credit and dial *124# will share your SIM card expiration. Hope this helps!!
    Sunny regards,

Tanya

www.SunbabyBoatReviews.com

User Info Menu

Interestingly, I just tried *124# and my phone said that the SIM will expire on Sep 27, 2014 (today is the 28th!). So i did an online top-up of a couple hundred J$, and BAM, the phone came back to life! The last time I used the phone was Feb '14, but I don't know when the minutes expired.

Papa, just do what CaptainD described. If you get a good response from the phone, try to top it up with few dollars. If you are going back soon, it's cheaper than buying a new SIM card (and saves a trip to the digicel store).

User Info Menu

Glad to hear this worked out for you Mike D. I've had a JA cell phone for at least a dozen years, current one a cheapie Digicel I've had since 2006. I top up regularly online, also call & leave myself a VM message every couple of months. Used to be the call alone would work but w/ changes in technology, top up is needed at times. If you have credit on the phone it seems to stay active longer, just need to add more credit to jump start it :-).

User Info Menu

Yup, I have skirted the expiration date a couple times with this SIM card and have brought it back to life. Having extra credit is what helped me, I think. I bought a bunch of minutes in February that I didn't use, because most of my calls were less than 1 minute. The majority of my calls went something like this:

"Hey Michael! Can we get a pick-up at Mirage? Going to Sun Beach. Thanks, Bye."

or

"Hello, Chicken Lavish? What time are you open til? 11:00pm? Great, thanks! Bye."

User Info Menu

Name:  Top Up.jpg
Views: 528
Size:  70.0 KB
    Linston's Zion Hill Taxi

Captain Dave

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Yvonne View Post
    ...just need to add more credit to jump start it :-).
    If you've topped up the phone many times, you have Airtime Loyalty Rewards and can redeem them for that 'jump start'.

To query what you have available, *131# Send

To Redeem for the jumpstart, *131*100# Send

You can also do this if you are short of credit, but it only works once every 30 days. Note, this is for Digicel