Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drones

User Info Menu

Drones

Does anyone know whether Jamaican Customs will allow you to bring a drone into the country?
    http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10765;128/st/20140626/e//k/ae6e/event.png

User Info Menu

Re: Drones

Quote Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
    Does anyone know whether Jamaican Customs will allow you to bring a drone into the country?
    Personally, I hope not. Already enough intrusion in our lives but, here is a video shot from a Hoverfly drone that was brought into Jamaica a few months ago.

Peace and Guidance

Free Opinions Offered. No tipping required. Hours: Open when I feel like it.

User Info Menu

I'm pretty sure I saw one last night, or was that the night before? Anyway, it it had a green light and buzzed up the cliffs, hovered then back the other direction.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Drones

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyNYC View Post
    I'm pretty sure I saw one last night, or was that the night before? Anyway, it it had a green light and buzzed up the cliffs, hovered then back the other direction.
    Mikey maybe that was from the sub or the special cake
    [url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by takinitslow View Post
    lol!!

Administrator

User Info Menu

The topic of camera drones has come up several times at some of the local hangouts, and to a person, the born Jamaicans I have spoken with are opposed to such action being done in their neighbourhood and this stems from the invasion of privacy issue. They are against the idea.

I dont think it is technically illegal to bring drones to the island, but I also dont think the courts have ruled yet on their legal and non-legal uses.

There are a few companies that offer drone video services in Jamaica, Skycam and JamaicaUAV being two of them. To protect the public, both these services enact protection policies.

Skycam - "They’re registered with the JCAA (Jamaica Civil Aviation Authority) and observe several safety rules such as a ten foot (10 ft) Take-off Radius and Logging flight plans with the JCAA. They also avoid flying within three miles (3 mi) of the Airport or above five hundred feet (500 ft)."

JamaicaUAV - "Jamaica UAV Limited, deploys no fly zone safety feature integration into its UAV/UAS"

On a Jamaica Tech Forum from last year one of the comments was "Just seeing these, really cool. Kinda creepy, but really cool. How much longer before we need air traffic controllers for these things lol".

This question was asked on a Cruise forum and one comment was "There have been big problems with people using drones here in the US. Don't risk getting into trouble by bringing it on a plane or ship. Actually, with increased security checks, I doubt you'd get it past security measures. And, unless you know the specific rules in every port you're visiting, it's not worth the potential problems.

A teen tried taking a drone on a US flight, and it was not allowed."

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2075389
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

I know I know what it sounded like. Knew I was gonna get beat on that one.

User Info Menu

Its Ok Mikey you are there and we are just wishing we were indulging in some special stuff and seeing magic green lights.
    [url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

User Info Menu

Its Ok Mikey you are there and we are just wishing we were indulging in some special stuff and seeing magic green lights.
    Chaska. I've been there. Used to work for American Express financial advisors.

User Info Menu

Maybe Its use could be used for certain agriculture grown.

Whatever you vividly imagine, ardently desire, sincerely believe, and enthusiastically act upon will inevitably come to pass.