Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Question for the board

User Info Menu

Question for the board

I have a minor issue I'm trying to figure out here; frequently message board topics that I have not kept current on (un-read, or partially read) will show up as having no new posts, when I can clearly see that the most recent post (as listed on the right) is one that I haven't yet seen. Why is this happening? It's kind of annoying, and makes it very difficult to keep track of read vs unread threads/comments.

It happens a lot, usually once a week at least. Is there anyone who can help me out here?

Administrator

User Info Menu

Re: Question for the board

Sounds like some strange technical glitch. Please try clicking on the "What's New?" option and see if the new post show up there.

Let me know if you see the new posts, and which browser/operating system you are using.

Thanks man!
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Mine does the same thing. I just figured it's because I don't actually know how to correctly use the windows operating system!!

User Info Menu

Rob, I'll try the suggestion and post back here. Thanks.

Edit: no dice, it didn't work. It's strange, there is another vbulletin board I check out on occasion but the issue doesn't pop up there. The threads that have comments (unread) aren't being highlighted, or some aren't I should say. It's somewhat random, happens once a week or so, with the very newest threads/comments still showing as unread, but other threads with unread comments that I can see listed on the right show up as being read (but they haven't been). Clear as mud?
    Last edited by TAH; 09-29-2014 at 08:31 PM.

User Info Menu

TAH, are you setup to keep your account logged-in to the Negril.com message board (either through the website or your browser)?

The way the "go to new post" indicator works (at least on this message board; others may be configured differently) is that it flags all the new posts since the last time you logged in. So, if you haven't been on the message board all day and you log in after work, you will have a whole bunch of new posts as every thread that has been posted in throughout the day will be flagged. If you the log off, step away for 1/2 hour, and then log back in all those posts that were previously flagged will now be unflagged. Even if you didn't read them. The only threads that will now have the "go to new post" indicator will be ones that have been posted during the 1/2 hour you stepped away.

I actually rarely pay attention to the "go to new posts" indicator. I find the "What's New?" button that Rob suggested more useful.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_D View Post
    TAH, are you setup to keep your account logged-in to the Negril.com message board (either through the website or your browser)?

The way the "go to new post" indicator works (at least on this message board; others may be configured differently) is that it flags all the new posts since the last time you logged in. So, if you haven't been on the message board all day and you log in after work, you will have a whole bunch of new posts as every thread that has been posted in throughout the day will be flagged. If you the log off, step away for 1/2 hour, and then log back in all those posts that were previously flagged will now be unflagged. Even if you didn't read them. The only threads that will now have the "go to new post" indicator will be ones that have been posted during the 1/2 hour you stepped away.

I actually rarely pay attention to the "go to new posts" indicator. I find the "What's New?" button that Rob suggested more useful.
    Yeah, I realize what you're saying, but that isn't what's happening. I don't stay logged in. I log out automatically every hour or so and this issue almost never happens. Only sporadically, very strange, as if my account were being accessed and the threads read. Anyhow, I appreciate the input. It isn't a big deal, just an annoyance. Thanks all.