Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A brief history of seven killings - fiction

Sponsor

User Info Menu

A brief history of seven killings - fiction

Has anyone read this new book by marlon James yet? i have it on my 'to read' list.
    its a novel written about the history of Jamaica during the political events at the time of the attempted assassination of Bob Marley.

User Info Menu

Re: A brief history of seven killings

700 pages and it's fiction - started it - i hope i make it through - Mr. James can be wordy and jumps around - i know one of his books that I never finished - just got bored

User Info Menu

Re: A brief history of seven killings

NPR - October 5, 2014

Marlon James' latest novel, A Brief History of Seven Killings, is not brief, and it contains many more than seven deaths. It's a portrait of Jamaica in the '70s, when gang warfare and reggae reigned.
    http://www.npr.org/2014/10/05/353254...sc=ipad&f=1008

User Info Menu

Re: A brief history of seven killings - fiction

and it's FICTION

User Info Menu

Got my hard copy from Amazon today, hope to get stated on it in the next few days and looking forward to it.

User Info Menu

It ain't easy, but it's hard to put it down.

I finished this book a couple of nights ago. I learned about some of the back story of the historic events on my first trip to Negril in 1984. If you think politics is bare knuckle here, it was god awful in the late '70's early '80's in Jamaica. In one of those elections, something like 700 political murders took place in a population of 2 million. Scale that up to our population and that would be 110,000 killed in an election! Just before we departed for Jamaica, I came across an article in High Times about Negril and how cocaine was having a devastating impact. Well worth the patience to read it through. This is important history to get acquainted with.
    We're all in this together and none of us is getting out alive.

Administrator

User Info Menu

To set the story straight, as quoted in the Observer, "THE political violence that haunted the 1980 general election has evaporated."

What you are referring to happened 35 years ago. Reagan was the President of the USA and MTV did not exist yet. It is history, but since it has no impact at all on current conditions, I am not sure how "important" getting acquainted with it is.

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/...hanged-Jamaica

And out of curiosity, what is the date on that High Times article? When cocaine first hit the island in the 80's - early 90's, as it did in America in the 70's and 80's, it did have its usual devastating impact on some. But Jamaicans quickly learned from their addicted friends who became what was called a "stockie" that cocaine (and crack) was not the way to live.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

respectfully, history is very important and its impact on today is its ability to teach us by being able too study the mistakes of others. To ignore history and dismiss it as worthless is a mistake many leaders have made. To not know our past puts us in danger of repeating the same mistakes over again. For Jamaicans the political violence of the 1980 general election is something that is very important to the current conditions. It important to remember the violence and the mistakes made so hopefully they will never be repeated. Our greatest lessons comes from our darkest moments.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Onthecorner,

I have been here for the last 5 general elections, I did not leave - and there has been no violence to speak of. The Jamaican voting public LEARNED the lesson from the election 35 years ago, which is why I posted the link to the Observer story "The bloody general election that changed Jamaica" - that is because it DID change Jamaica. The Lesson was learned.

No one here is disputing the fact it happened or dismissing it as worthless - I make no claims that they are, but what happened 35 years ago has "evaporated" as the Observer writer wrote. It simply does not exist anymore, just as Jamaica is no longer being used as a pawn in USA/Soviet Union Cold War as it was in 1980. History is only useful when you include all the facts and not conveniently leave out crucial details.

That is why I am saying that yes, it is history, but do not see how important it is to get acquainted with it to any visitor. it is history, but it will have absolutely no bearing on their visit.

And to be honest the last 5 general elections have been great to witness. There was even a change in government, and no violence occurred. Years ago, the "colors" of the party signified your political allegiance. This past election many voters just for fun wore both colors. I have a video from one of "motorcades" and in the back you can see people wearing both colors.

This is Jamaica's past, which they are not repeating the same mistakes over again. The lesson was learned. As the article states " the conclusion drawn by political analysts is that Jamaica has matured."

With all the evidence in the article (as well as other sources) that what happened 35 years no longer exists, what is very important to the current conditions for Jamaicans and why is it very important that visitors know that now, something that happened 35 years ago and has never been repeated?
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

as I stated...it is important for jamaicans to remember....i wasnt talking about tourists. I agree with you that a tourist to jamaica certainly doesnt need too know its history too enjoy the beauty of the island or have a wonderful vacation. But i am not a tourist, i am a travelor. Sorry i struck a nerve with you, that was never my intention. I was simply pointing out the importance of history and the study of it. Upon deciding too visit Jamaica for the first time more then 15 years ago i did read the history of the island from the indians to the spanish. the english to the pirates. independence to bob marley. For me, the study of the history of the island and its people gave me a deeper understanding and appreciation for what I was seeing. To understand a place and the people who live there what better way then too study their history? The same would true whether you were planning a trip to china or italy or ghana. Even if visiting the usa. I respect your point of view and didnt mean too upset you....i just disagree with you. The adversity and trials the jamaican people have had too overcome to get where they are at is what makes them who they are and why i respect them and admire them as i do. And i wouldnt had i not decided too read their history first.

btw....congrats on your success with this web site, Its very clear you also love the people and the island. As i stated, no disrespect was intended at all.