Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Interested in bringing school supplies?

User Info Menu

Interested in bringing school supplies?

A basic school in Sheffield (Gertie McKenzie) is in dire need of quiet time learning toys. Colours and shapes, puzzles and early books. This sweet country school of children ages 3-6 would be grateful! Contact a Negril Rotarian or drop off at St Anthony’s Kitchen across from bus park, Nonpareil Road. Thanks.

User Info Menu

Re: Interested in bringing school supplies?

Please drop off school supplies at St. Anthony's Kitchen and ask for Joan, Elaine or Winston. OR tell someone in the kitchen that they are for Rotary. Thanks!

User Info Menu

Greetings, we need more of an explanation. We would love to help the youth any way we can. We were thinking more of a cash donation. What we don't understand is,if there is a problem finding these items that are needed locally and thats why you ask for specific items. Would money be appreciated just as much or would you be happier with the things requested? Thank You.

User Info Menu

I would also be interested in knowing what is best- a cash donation or the actual items. We are staying close to Coco La Palms, and I remember a church being close. Would that be the place to donate? I don't see another listing for the actual kitchen in Negril. Thanks for the information!

User Info Menu

Couple of years ago, had nice chat with Friar Jim who worked closely with St Anthony's kitchen. Wasn't sure if he is still involved. Never made it by the kitchen last trip, but thinking of coming by this trip, perhaps help serve lunch to the kids.

My thoughts on cash vs bringing stuff:
    - Cash is more likely to be mis-directed
    - even if directed properly, cash mostly ends up in general fund for mandatory annual budget items
    - Stuff = educational/fun discretionary items, provides visible appreciation from kids upon hand delivery.
    - stuff is a more personal touch than cash, but cash is always appreciated and easier to carry.

User Info Menu

thanks debitdog, maybe I'll try doing a bit of both