Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jet Skis

User Info Menu

Re: Jet Skis

I just saw a post on a Facebook page that jet skis are allowed again on the East side of the island and coming back soon to Negril. I personally hope not. Any info?

User Info Menu

Sounds great!! We are ready to ride!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Barb111 View Post
    I just saw a post on a Facebook page that jet skis are allowed again on the East side of the island and coming back soon to Negril. I personally hope not. Any info?
    They've been allowed island wide (including Negril) since some time last year. Most of the operators are choosing not to run them because of the expenses involved...not much of a profit margin anymore.

User Info Menu

Jet skis are just great as in Destin Florida or Gulf Shores...Nothing at all relaxing at those beaches...I like them there but they are ran by up front people with all the insurance papers and they don't bug you to death to ride...As for Negril the smell and noise and hassle just doesn't fit in...I too love jet skis but in the right setting...
    BE A TRAVELR

User Info Menu

If they are restricted to operating out of the Long Bay public beach area, they probably won't be able to sustain a business, not enough traffic up there and most of the people who pass by are walkers/runners.

I'm not worried about jet skis making a comeback.
    My Books:

Walk Good - Sunset Negril - Night Nurse
    Available @ www.amazon.com - search 'Roland Reimer'

User Info Menu

I asked someone, while I was just there. He said they are allowed to launch up the beach, and the gov't was going to tax them. Sounds like it is too costly of a venture to appeal to the operators, as none have restarted business. I prefer seeing the new paddleboards and kayaks to the noisy jet skis, and their annoying "salespeople".

Administrator

User Info Menu

Ryan,

That is essentially correct. The profit margins were small before the ban. Now that the ban has been lifted, there are two official "launch sites, but the operators got together and decided to not restart the them. Of course they would be taxed (as they always were) but the new higher insurance coverage amount raised their cost of doing business. Add to that transporting the riders to either of the two "launch" points and that reduced the profit margin that much more.

I do not see jet skis returning in anytime in the foreseeable future.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusher View Post
    It kind of sounds like they can go anywhere they want as long as they stay 200 metres off the shore. Which in my mind would be an interesting compromise. The only place they would be allowed to come ashore would be at Long Bay Beach.

User Info Menu

Paddleboards and kayaks are sooooo exciting!! whooohoooo!

User Info Menu

Agreed. Kayak soon come.