Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Negril Beach in the earlier days

User Info Menu

Re: Negril Beach in the earlier days

Hey johng....great pictures & video! Could you please tell us where some of those pictures were taken? For example, the Green Mill post office. How close were they to the Negril area? Thanks. Rock n roll farmer

User Info Menu

Hi Olivia,

It was called Villa's Negril, perched up the top of the hill on Red Ground, not sure what is happening there now but it was a sweet spot, swimming pool, AC, and a beautiful view of the beach and island, to the east a cool view of the hills. Name:  The Villa's Pool.jpg
Views: 468
Size:  87.7 KBName:  Rasta Bike at the Villa's pool.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  92.5 KBName:  The Villa's Pool.jpg
Views: 468
Size:  87.7 KBName:  View from the Villa's.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  92.8 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by johng View Post
    Hi Olivia,

It was called Villa's Negril, perched up the top of the hill on Red Ground, not sure what is happening there now but it was a sweet spot, swimming pool, AC, and a beautiful view of the beach and island, to the east a cool view of the hills. [
    Saturday night Miss G and I would come in from Zion Hill.

The band was "The Mighty Studs"......Loved those days....Dance me ras*****t off!

However.......now we do Saturday night at Seastar...we just dance slower........

Cap and Miss G
    Linston's Zion Hill Taxi

Captain Dave

User Info Menu

Always enjoy these nostalgic trips with pics from back when. Simpler times and quieter times, but change is constant if nothing else! Still miss the sound of the ice truck rumbling up west end roan and momma Hylton yelling at Jocelyn to grab the cooler and run up to the road...
    “One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.”
    ― Bob Marley

User Info Menu

I love that these pictures are shared!!! Thank you everyone!!!

User Info Menu

Hey Rocknrollfarmer,

The Irie Feelings Show is a compilation of several years of trips to JA and in total is 30 minutes. Green Hill for example is in Portland Parish up the hill from Buff Bay. I don't know exactly how many miles it is from Negril but back in the 70's and 80's (before highways were built in JA) it was pretty much an all day journey to get there but well worth it. Back then the "Big Bus" was THE method of transportation, slow but really awesome. It is unfortunate too that the Jamaican Railroads were destroyed during the past 20 years by hurricanes and to my knowledge with the exception of a short line near Kingston today there is minimal train service. I took the train twice from Kingston to MoBay and it was the coolest thing I have ever experienced in the context of travel and I have been all over the world. It was a very slow ride and brake downs happened frequently. The cars were very rustic, wooden bench seats, no AC or other comforts afforded elsewhere but that just added to the ambiance of the experience. Just like car drivers in JA the horn was utilized often and was very loud as there were many crossings that didn't have any kind of warnings that a train was approaching. I remember like it was today leaning out the open windows and getting all the different smells as the train meandered through different topography. It was really Cool Runnings!!!

John