Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is off-beach dress code?

User Info Menu

What is off-beach dress code?

Will be visiting Negril for first time in November. I've read elsewhere that although shorts are acceptable on the beaches they are not commonly worn in town. Also saw that jeans are frowned upon as well. Is this true and what is recommended wear for around town? Sundresses? Appreciate any input.

User Info Menu

Re: What is off-beach dress code?

Any clothes are appropriate. Negril is a true beach town and to each their own, I have never see anyone looked down upon based on their attire. If you are staying at an AI, many of them have dress codes for dining, certain bars and some of the theme nights but that is not how the rest of Negril rolls. Hope this helps

User Info Menu

Negril is very casual. I've been going for years and always wear shorts and tees. Jeans are just too hot. This is not a fancy town!

User Info Menu

Thanks, that is what I was hoping to hear! No AI, staying at CCLP.
    Last edited by nancy bunch; 10-24-2014 at 03:35 PM.

User Info Menu

There are some restaurants like Sweet Spice that adhere to the outdated and misunderstood "we hate hippies" rule of no shoes no shirt no service. Truth be known, that was a class instituted rule in the 1960's designed to punish those that were a perceived threat to the "ruling" class.

You may also be asked to leave some stores when shirtless. Shorts, shoes (sandles) and a shirt is pretty much universally accepted in all stores and most restaurants. Fine dining is another story. Best dress up a little for that. Golf attire or better.
    Last edited by Craig123; 10-24-2014 at 03:49 PM.

User Info Menu

This is the usual evening dress:

Name:  P9100017.JPG
Views: 674
Size:  28.3 KB
    Linston's Zion Hill Taxi

Captain Dave

User Info Menu

I have been to Negril more than 40 times last time being in 2012 and have never ever heard about any dress codes to be followed except as some have suggested, in AI Dining Rooms or a High End restaurant. That is what is so cool about Negril is that everybody is accepted despite their looks, color, creed, etc.... many places that were around long ago (The Wharf Club Restaurant, Negril Yacht Club, Pee Wee's, etc...) were pretty much swim trucks / shorts, bikini's T-shirts, whatever works. The only thing I can remember was that the Jamaicans (Negril locals) were not keen on nude sunbathing on their property but nowadays I guess that depends on where you stay and what the hotel rules are. Water shoes are helpful as there are sea urchins and sharp coral in some places that can cut your feet pretty bad. Giving clothes to less fortunate Jamaicans before you leave JA can forge a friendship to last a lifetime!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by captaind View Post

Hey Cap, I'll be looking for you. You'll stick out like a sore thumb! And BTW you clean up nicely!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by captaind View Post

Laughed my ass off when i saw this,good job Cap!!

User Info Menu

We bum around in shorts and i always wear a shirt so people don't try and drag me into the sea and throw water on me. Swim wear most of the time and she wears a sundress alot or a nice wrap over a bathing suit, so if we hit a swim up bar we can take a dip and enjoy some cold ones.Never been turned away from any place we have gone.