Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: My 2014 trip report

User Info Menu

My 2014 trip report

We have made it to Negril, and I am sitting here in bed, absolutely exhausted from the trip. The entire process went off without a hitch, but I find as I am getting older, the process just wears me out more.

Flight out of Philadelphia with us air was absolutely flawless. We checked in at the curb, the red cap had us sit down, checked our luggage, and came back with boarding passes. Maybe it was early or they were bored, either way... Best service I have ever had at PHL. Literally from curbside to the end of security it was 13 minutes. Of course, I screwed that part up by wandering straight past our terminal and into a totally foreign part of the airport

We decided to stay at the airport Marriott last night, rather than drive to the airport in rush hour traffic. I've never stayed in a Marriott, and it was lovely. Dinner was ass expensive, but the people were nice, the bed comfortable, and the hotel was immaculate. But.... Who wants to hear about a Philadelphia hotel. This is the Negril board.

When we landed, we had the Club Mobay service. THANK GOD WE DID! I am reasonably sure half the population of Canada arrived before we did, and immigration was packed. There were no fewer than 8 club Mobay reps waiting on the ramp when we arrived. Luggage retrieval, immediate. Straight to the front of the line for immigration (the immigration rep pointed out on our passports that he had signed us in last year... Small world), customs was another two minute wait, and off to the Mobay arrival lounge while they found a Tim-air rep.

Tim air... Their service is incredibly friendly, the pilots are awesome. I am not sure this is really worth it though. Mainly because it is super pricey. $320 one way for my wife and I. I had to have a charter because of the insane amount of luggage we had (the raft), but $320 for a 15 minute trip just seems exorbitant. I may not do that again... Not sure. The other thing is, the plane is definitely the same one we used when we came down the first time 16 years ago. That plane was old then. They have repainted them, but the inside panels and the like are coming apart. Plus, it just scares the hell out of me. We flew in just as a storm was hitting the west end, and let me tell you... That is some scary stuff to see from that height.

Anyway, we got to Tensing, and I felt like we had arrived home. We were greeted not with the usual bs "I remember you" but by name by multiple staff members. At dinner, staff came up and greeted us, the manager stopped by, and of course friends we have made from trips past are here as well. The greeting, and sense of sincere welcome was almost an emotional event to me. While I realize we are paying guests, it's nice to actually be remembered year after year. I can't even get the place where I get a morning tea to remember what I want, but these folks not only remembered my name, but what we like as well.

We arrived fairly late, so I don't have a lot of pictures yet, but I've got days ahead of me to post pictures, retell events and experiences. I'm a fairly boring person compared to a lot of the reports I read on here, but will do my best to post as many photos as possible for those in their countdown to experience vicariously. Everyone have a great week!Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1313
Size:  95.8 KB

User Info Menu

Re: My 2014 trip report

Thats some luggage..... and great start to an awesome trip (and report).

User Info Menu

Hussyband,

Loving the start to your trip report, glad to read you made it safe & sound. Looking forward to living vicariously through you & your trip report

Peace,
    Islander ~ Brynn

User Info Menu

Anxious to hear more! The countdown is on and I am getting ready for the big holiday trip! Not flying in but I have done so in the past. Now, I'm quite happy to drive along and chill out, ready for another adventure of a lifetime! Bring it on....ready for some pics and fun details.
    [url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

User Info Menu

Hussy, looking forward to your report. Would like to know more about Tensing and that part of the cliffs. Would it be worth a visit for dinner? Are they welcoming to non guests? Thanks

User Info Menu

Tending is ver welcoming to non guests, great place to have dinner as its not crowded at all. Prices are decent, service is great. The grilled lobster is yum.

First Jamaican breakfast.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1186
Size:  92.2 KB

User Info Menu

My hangout to the foreseeable future.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1204
Size:  99.3 KB

User Info Menu

Good stuff HB!

Just what we need for our last 5 day countdown.
    We feel the same way about CWV. It's so nice when you finally make it "home"!
    We need to take the long way there though because there is no way I'm jamming my giant a$$ into one of those tiny planes. I hope your "launch" goes well!
    "Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books."
    -- E. Gary Gygax

Sponsor

User Info Menu

Very nice! Please continue

User Info Menu

Went to the farmers market at Sav-la-Mar today. What an interesting experience. Literally anything grown or caught on the island was available, with a single exception... Limes. Apparently, there is a scarcity of limes due to the drought. I found this odd, as I bought an enormous bag of oranges for ~$3. Seems if one citrus is available, all should be... But, I'm not a farmer.

The sheer abundance of fish, fruits and vegetables was pretty amazing. We did hire a guide to take us, and I am rather pleased that we did so. He was able to direct me to where the items I wanted were located. Another board member was along with us, he purchased pots and pans... I asked if this meant he was cooking dinner, but apparently not. I did buy some breadfruit and plantain, so my breakfast tomorrow will be produce I know is freshly picked. That's kinda cool to me.

I believe we were shown four different varieties of banana. They have these stubby little ones, some folks called the honey banana, I am not 100% sure on the name. I bought a goodly amount of those... They are like sugar when you eat them. In the US, the most common banana we get is cavendish, I think... These are infinitely better.

For whatever reason, one of the things I wanted to do at sav was buy a bunch, not a hand of bananas. I did so, and now... I'm not sure what I am going to do with nearly 100 bananans. Cook said she could make boiled banana, but I think I'll just give them to the kitchen.

We hit Juci Patty on the way back. Patties are so much better when served extremely hot in a paper bag. The ones I buy at home and reheat are pale imitations of those here.

The ocean is absolutely beautiful today. There is minimal wind, the surf is calm, and it was like floating in a giant bathtub. I cannot seem to get the nerve to jump off the bridge this year, but soon.

We are contemplating staying home tomorrow for dinner. I am going to search the threads for delivery places. Anyone got any suggestions that will deliver either pizza or anything else to Tensing?

For your viewing pleasure, my banana bunch:Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1001
Size:  93.7 KB